Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5906 PC in production ?

mdschappell

Hi guys,

I have been shooting my S & W 5906 performance center in production for a little over a year, and it is the DPA serial numbered 4" model with absolutely no mods. I shoot it as it came from the factory. These guns have been legal in the past, even the unobtainium 5" models. I have never had an issue at local matches shooting this gun.

It is marked on the frame as a model 5906, and 5906 only, no other "numbers or letters" that would make it a seperate model. I sent an E-mail to Amidon, and his response was that the 5906 is on the production list and is legal.

Whadya guys think ??? still legal for production division with the new rules interpretations or not ? Is there anyone out there still shooting these ?

I prefer to keep using this gun, as it is very left hander friendly and because I carry a 3rd gen S & W in my duty gear as an LEO.

dude

If Mr A says your good, your good

Besides unless you are going to win an area match or the nats I doubt anyone would CARE anyway

but it sounds like you stand on solid righteous ground by your decision

PS I applaud your use of the SW 5906 in production

I think the 59 and 69 series guns are exceptionally well made high quality guns, I carried a 6906 as my CCW for a few years

I shoot a Beretta in production, so I'm an odd duck myself

I don't see the 5906 PC on the approved gun list? But, we have had topics on this before...

You should go to the search page and do a search for 5906 while specifying to search in the USPSA/IPSC rules section.

I beat the search to death..... most are older posts which, for the most part, say these are legal production guns. I believe that they have been permitted because they are model 5906's, and are not, at least officially, a seperate and distinct model. They were available to the public from S&W and were in the catalog. They are not a seperate 5906 PC model. I was not in the sport when these guns first came out and were accepted into production, so I can only speculate that this is why they were allowed originally.

I feel that I am O.K. with this gun, I guess I just fear an R.O. at some match making an issue of it.

I'm sure its legal, and the 5906 is legal, but take a look at the Production appendix and look at the approved modifications. You can tune the trigger and replace the sights and even have some grip tape on the gun and still be legal. I doubt the Performance Center would have done any more than that.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure its legal, and the 5906 is legal, but take a look at the Production appendix and look at the approved modifications. You can tune the trigger and replace the sights and even have some grip tape on the gun and still be legal. I doubt the Performance Center would have done any more than that.

The slide profile on the PC 5906 is different from the production version and they use the Briley bushings in those guns.

IIRC..they have been used at Nationals and were OK. I think there was some discussion about the 5" guns because those were only available through the custom shop.. and at the time they did have a catalog number I think, but I don't remember much more than that.

4" DPA 5906 Product Code #170093

5" DPA 5906 Product Code #170265

5" DPA 5906 Product Code #170306 Offered at the IDPA Winter Nationals with the scalloped slide .

Tom

anyone have any photos of these..especially the 5" guns..

The slide profile on the 5" guns were made two ways. One way was the scalloped under side, like the 10th aniv. IDPA winter nats. gun. This style gun was mostly sold in europe. The second way was an identical slide as the 4" guns except 1" longer. These were mostly sold in the US. They also made a few 5" guns with a lightweight frame, in a PD finish. I have all four. ----JWB

There's a better question than it's legality: Why the hell would you WANT to shoot a 5906 in production?

*stirring the pot*

because I can't shoot a glock to save my ass

and the 3rd gen smiths are about as close to a 1911 in grip angle, SA trigger re-set, and location of control as it gets.

There's a better question than it's legality: Why the hell would you WANT to shoot a 5906 in production?

*stirring the pot*

Not a 5906, a PC 5906, there is a massive difference. If you can ever get your hands on one and shoot it a little you'll never ask that question again. Out of the box the reset is shorter than just about any 19/2011 you can find and the action job is smooth as glass. The d/a first shot scares a lot of people but once you get used to it you don't even notice it because the action is so smooth and then you have nothing but one of the absolute best single action triggers for the rest of the stage.

• 2 months later...

I've shot a PC 5906 since they came out and I have never had a problem in any USPSA or IDPA match. Other than a short sight radius, which isn't an issue as far as I'm concerned in 99% of the required shots in both sports, this gun is the best out there. The gun is heavy as hell and has an awesome trigger.

*stirring the pot*

Guess I'm another S&W weirdo. Have not shot a PC gun, but I'd take my Teddy Jacobson tuned 3rd Generation guns over a Glock. I'd like to try one of the 5 inch PC 5906s though.

We use bladetec taser holsters at work. The belt anchor works fine but I have the older model that has the old style hood and squared edges. The hood is literally always coming open but the guys with newer holsters have a newer design. All in all though I agree that bladetech makes a good, albeit expensive holster.

dude rock that blaster until you are told otherwise or you go to the nationals.

big ups for shooting the SW 5/6 series guns. these are great guns and sleepers. I would definitley shoot one if your duty/carry peice is a similar SW

The slide profile on the PC 5906 is different from the production version and they use the Briley bushings in those guns.

they used to be fairly common in the 90's in fact we still have plenty of parts for the 5906, including magwells, scope mounts, slide rackers for them, they are pretty awesome guns.