Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

solo 1000 & my powder hopper

badmonkey

There is some discussion on this around here somewhere. But in my 550 it meters within .1 just fine. Not sure if it is the powder or the design of the machine but if I walk away from the loader for a few days, the first charge I throw when I come back will be about .3 high every time.

I have a 550B with the UniqueTek baffle and it meters well for me. When I first fill the hopper I give it couple of taps to help settle the powder, and then throw about 20 charges, then do a 10 throw weight check before I start loading.

Ok boy-n-girls be for I buy a 8 bl jug of solo 1000 dos this powder feed well in a powder hopper of a XL-650 I plan to use this powder with bayou bullets in a 124 gr nine. smile.gif Erik Runyan

I have had no issues

There is some discussion on this around here somewhere. But in my 550 it meters within .1 just fine. Not sure if it is the powder or the design of the machine but if I walk away from the loader for a few days, the first charge I throw when I come back will be about .3 high every time.

This has been my experience with my SDB. I usuallu just take the first two and throw them back. after that, it seems to be right within .1. That is good enough for what I do with it.

I really like the way it smells when it burns too. I don't know why, but Solo smells good. B)

I usually strap the fish tank air pump on the side of the powder measure reservoir, throw a few to settle the powder and then 10 for an average charge. I am using an Arrendondo bar so I don't know if that makes a difference but I get a pretty consistant charges.

My 650 is missing the fancy uniquetek stuff, but throws it fine. A bigger problem as far as charge weight will be you slopping powder out of the cases by being ham-fisted when running the shellplate back down. Solo is a fluffier powder than titegroup with larger flakes, and 4.2 fills a lot of the case.

I consider that a plus - hard to miss seeing the powder charge when it fills 3/4 of the case, and a doublecharge will dump powder everywhere.

I'd start with about 4.2 grains for an FMJ, that should be in the 126pf area, and you can work up. 124 precision delta, 4.0 solo, and 1.125" oal was 121 pf through a 5" M&P barrel for me.

It's also reverse temp sensitive, so expect to barely pass chrono in the summer if you clock 129pf in 30* weather.

If you look around in some of the old posts, there's some info about polishing the inside of the Dillon powder funnel. From what I've heard from very experienced Dillon using reloaders, this can help get a consistant powder throw with the fluffier powders.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm loading 147BBI over 3.5g of solo1000 and once i got the powder thrower adjusted i'm able to stay within .1 when i do a random check while loading. The most important thing to remember is being consistent while loading and do the same thing to the press every time.

I agree with WiskeyTango. The stroke is important. I use both S1000 and Autocomp in a 650, one measure with an Arredondo bar the other with a Dillon bar.

Both meter fine, well within .1 grain, as long as I do my part and keep the stroke consistent and no harsh handling of the roller handle.

Good luck,

Bill

Editd because my spelling s-----ks.

Edited by Bill40718

Ok boy-n-girls be for I buy a 8 bl jug of solo 1000 dos this powder feed well in a powder hopper of a XL-650 I plan to use this powder with bayou bullets in a 124 gr nine. :) Erik Runyan

Works great in My 550's. As you can probably tell from the picture below, I love this powder, and use a lot of it!

4425534997_4cbeec9b47_b.jpg

Runs well in my 550, I like Solo 1000 with the 147 grain bullet but haven't made my mind up on 124's. The latest jug is a little slower than my older lot. Looks like it will take 4.7 to push a 124 grain bullet to minor out of my STI Trojan. The latest test was 4.5 and my Trojan didn't quite make minor. My friends Glock 34 made it with three of the six rounds fired.

Sorry I don't have the numbers with me but knew I would have to give it a little bump up and trashed them.

4.7 is a compressed load and spillage on the shell plate may be a problem. I haven't started a run still testing. I am running the AOL at 1.135 seems to feed better on my 1911.

Solo and the 147-Great. May go back to tite group or 231 for the 124's if spillage is a problem.

I have polished the inside of my powder funnel with Simicrome and a wad of Q tips. Seems to help the lighter powders flow better.

OK, went out this afternoon, overcast day about 80. New jug of Solo 1000, 124 plated Frontier Bullet, Winchester Small Pistol Primers. Loading 100 rounds, spillage was not a problem though 4.6 fills the case. Loaded to OAL 1.135. Shot with an STI Trojan 9mm.

1st six shots

1017 avg. 1018 PF 126.232

2nd six shots

1050 avg. 1032 PF 127.968

I put a slight tweak open on the powder measure on the 2nd six but not enough to move the readout higher. I was pleased with the way the gun shot and will load some more while it rains here on Saturday.

• 2 weeks later...