Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which ESP gun

Strick

I am thinking that if I can get my Master bump here shortly in SSP I may stick to ESP. I am trying to decide on which platform to use. 1911 9mm, Witness, maybe a polymer pistol with a nice grip reduction and built in magwell......

What ideas do you guys have?

Hello: What are you shooting now? You can use the same pistol for ESP. A 9mm 1911 or 2011 are very soft shooters at 131PF. I am trying decide right now which way to go on a 2011 for ESP. A Glock 34 may be one way to go as well :cheers: Thanks, Eric

The Pro is a good choice, I have one. I shoot my Dan Wesson PM-9 waaaayyyy better though. I think a 9mm 1911/2011 is a VERY good ESP choice if you can shoot it better than the striker fired guns. Maybe a CZ75/witness would be good also.

I like my Springfield Loaded 9mm for ESP. The transfer from that to my CDP gun which is a Springer Trophy Match is pretty seamless.

I've done enough work on then that they now weigh within one ounce of each other, have all the same controls and sights.

BTW---- I believe SSP Masters who show up at a match as a ESP sharp shooter--- using the same, gun, load, holster etc.... should be given a FTDR when they check in. :sight:

BTW---- I believe SSP Masters who show up at a match as a ESP sharp shooter--- using the same, gun, load, holster etc.... should be given a FTDR when they check in. :sight:

:D

You sound like a buddy that I shoot with. LOL

I am Expert in both hopefully getting the bump in both in the next month or 2.

I have a Pro too and love it. But I have serious gun lust for a 1911 9mm for ESP, they are so much fun to shoot. So if it was me I'd go with a 1911 in 9mm like a STI Trojan.

:D

You sound like a buddy that I shoot with. LOL

I am Expert in both hopefully getting the bump in both in the next month or 2.

Being a SSP Master and ESP Expert is not that big of a deal when you look at the classifier times for ESP. As long as you stay up on your classifiers, and don't rely just on match bumps to move up, I think it's alright. But most people don't stay up on their classifiers.

I agree on the one level "deal" but we have a Match Director who has been an SSP Master for 3 years who showed up at the state match as an ESP SS.....

Shooting the same exact gun/load etc. I think that's just wrong.

The USPSA rule that you can't be classified any more than one level below your highest rating makes sense.

Personally, I'd just keep using the M&P Pro or the XD(m). The XD(m) in 9mm is in ESP anyway, since IDPA ruled it's a single action gun. I used an XD(m) in ESP and was pretty happy with it.

If you are shooting what you have now well, I would just do the allowed modifications to that and bump up to ESP. That is what I did with my G34. All I did was add a SS guide rod and magwell. Removed the magwell after the first match...it didn't feel right to me. Just my thoughts.

I would go with a 2011 in .45 ACP, or in the platform you are using now if it will hold 10 45 ACP rounds, 180 gr semi or round nose wadcutters loaded to feel good, Big giant holes will come in handy sooner or later.

When it comes to ESP, a 1911 chabered in 9MM with 9 rounds mags is a great way to go.

(9+1 total 10)it gives you a 5 target, then reload situation rather than a round dump or not situation, most of the time........

6x6x6 revo is also good :)

I use a Trojan 40 cal with 9 round mags, ice magwell, ambi large safety, and the thin alumagrips. My gun weighs 42.4 ounces. If you go in a 9mm Trojan you will probably not make weight with all the extras.

Currently,

I am using my Production gun, a S&W M&P 9L. It works great.

Yeah, I am using my production/SSP gun now and it does work great and has served me well. I am just thinking of building a true ESP gun not because I think that is the best but "just because".

I have to disagree with one of the posts. ( 9 round 9 mm mags are NOT the way to go).

A set of Virgil Tripp 10 round Cobra mags is the way to go with a 9mm 1911. I have 7 and they run flawlessly in my Springer....so I start with 10+ 1 and pick up an extra round with every reload.

In the past reliable 10 round mags were nearly impossible to find... but not any more.

Edited by MichiganShootist

The full on ESP is a double stack 1911 in 40 S&W. 3 pound or less trigger, great sights on a nice long radius, great pointing for shooting from retention, and my 160 grain ESP load works with an 8 pound recoil spring and a 17 pound main spring. One soft shooting combo.

I don't know if cross training matters, but if you change to 180 grain bullet, a little more N320, an 11 or 12 pound recoil spring, and plus 2 mag pads, and you have a fully competitive USPSA Limited gun too.

Going short of that, 150 grain 9mm loads that make PF in a 9mm M1911 is slick.

Billski

When I bought a Benny gun in .38 Super/.40 , right off the bat I knocked 12 seconds off my best classifier time shot with a Glock. So in theory a 2011 or 1911 is "faster", however with IDPA's COF's being so restictive in round count and technique, the advantage is minimal IMHO.

With the short COF's like IDPA, I prefer a Glock.

Stick with one gun. You will most likely shoot your regular gun with a few mods better than you will shoot a new platform. That's the great thing about Glocks and other brands with multiple models. If you shoot one, you are familiar with all the other models.

I have to disagree with one of the posts. ( 9 round 9 mm mags are NOT the way to go).

A set of Virgil Tripp 10 round Cobra mags is the way to go with a 9mm 1911. I have 7 and they run flawlessly in my Springer....so I start with 10+ 1 and pick up an extra round with every reload.

And I couldn't disagree with you more. 9+1 is the way to go in IDPA. Starting with an even number of rounds in the gun is a huge advantage. 80% of all strings are two shots on each target. You don't have to reload after one shot on a target and then go back to the same target for one more shot after the reload. Reloading between targets instead is like having one less target to shoot on a stage.

Buy another M&P pro in 9mm and trick it out with the limited things they allow in ESP; magwell, etc.

If you want to concentrate on another gun, the wide body 2011 in 9mm is probably #1 in cost is no object performance.

Edited by GForceLizard

Stick with one gun. You will most likely shoot your regular gun with a few mods better than you will shoot a new platform. That's the great thing about Glocks and other brands with multiple models. If you shoot one, you are familiar with all the other models.

And I couldn't disagree with you more. 9+1 is the way to go in IDPA. Starting with an even number of rounds in the gun is a huge advantage. 80% of all strings are two shots on each target. You don't have to reload after one shot on a target and then go back to the same target for one more shot after the reload. Reloading between targets instead is like having one less target to shoot on a stage.

Interesting points here, I got rid of my 9rd mags. Partially because a few wouldnt run, and partially because I thought 10rd was the way to go. With 10rds, this just means I have one free make up shot per string. Im still pretty new to IDPA, so I may change my mind as I need fewer and fewer make up shots.