Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911/2011 vs Polymer Limited Guns

I boutht an STI mainly for the "accuracy" factor. It does shoot better than my plastic guns...and looks a LOT better. As far as snobs on the skeet fields (sleeping with their Beretta's), our snobs only shoot Kreighoff's and Perazzis! Beretta guys are grouped with the Browning shooters.

Most shooters out here have never seen an STI or SVI, as they just are not that popular. I am saving for a SVI next!

If your 1911 frames are more accurate than your polymer guns, what are the specific differences? trigger weight, LOP, reset; overall balance; overall weight; recoil management? What is it specifically that you believe makes the 1911/2011 more accurate for you?

The specific difference between my 1911s/2011s and plastic guns is the fit-up. My best-fit, plastic gun is fit up sloppy, compared to all my 1911s/2011s.

Trigger weight, LOP, reset; overall balance; overall weight; recoil management are all personal preferance, and when it is set up the way YOU like it, YOU will shoot it more accurately, but, it won't make the gun more accurate.

What makes me specifically KNOW that my 1911s/2011s are more accurate than my plastic guns? Out of the 14 1911s/2011s, the WORST fit shoots groups that are half the size of my best plastic gun. That is not to say that you CAN'T get some 1911s/2011s that are fit up like crap, and can be out-shot by a plastic gun.

Most of the pistol shooting in our sport occurs between 7 and 25 yards. I don't think that the difference in potential/technical accuracy between a full-metal frame 19/2011 and a locking block-style polymer pistol affects such close ranges. Perceived accuracy is a whole different story. Even if a custom STI and a stock glock are shot off the bench and are accurate within 10% of eachother, a particular shooter may perceive a greater degree of accuracy with one over the other. When I started Limited, I shot a glock 22, then a 35, and now I have a 6" Benny Hill Limited gun. I personally learned two things: longer sight radius looks better, and 2011's feel better than polymer guns (to me of course). Both polymer guns as well as 1911/2011's are accurate enough for USPSA out of the box. Accuracy: "keeping your sights still and on target while you pull the trigger." <-------Do this!

As mentioned elsewhere in the responses, there are nearly no limits to customization. Add to that a lot of good gunsmiths that do work on the 1911/2011 platform. The plastic guns - and probably XD(M)s more so than glock - have many fewer options, and far fewer gunsmiths that can really wring the maximum out of them. But it you have an XDM and are happy with it, then just use it, there's no reason to go out and sink money into something else because you thing it will make you better.

Ultimately shoot what makes you happy. People are winning the Nationals with those crappy plastic guns. Its not the gun, at most it is the gun to shooter interface. It doesn't what combination of features makes that interface smoother, I think you need to find the right thing for you.

My thought on this is that until recently there have not been any "polymer" guns that could be modified to run with the "polymer" 2011 guns. There just were not the modifications for the polymer guns that there were for the 2011.....magwells, magazines, holsters, triggers, and such. I am now shooting a Springer Precision "Limited" XDM. So far I love it. About a 2lb trigger, magwell, Dawson FO adjustable sights, extended mag release, high capacity mags, a positive grip treatment, full length guide rod that takes 1911 springs. I am shooting 9mm which I know is minor but my magazines hold 24+1. This is just my opinion, but I can no longer get DQed for not putting my safety on. I have never done this, but now I know I can't.... :roflol::roflol:

EDC003.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I am now shooting a Springer Precision "Limited" XDM. So far I love it. About a 2lb trigger, magwell, Dawson FO adjustable sights, extended mag release, high capacity mags, a positive grip treatment, full length guide rod that takes 1911 springs. I am shooting 9mm which I know is minor but my magazines hold 24+1.

EDC003.jpg

Not trying to hijack here :ph34r:, but can you get into a rig like this much cheaper than..say a STI Tactical 5? Just curious.

I just recently sold my SVI because I was having difficulty getting used to the trigger. The reasoning was pretty simple. I shoot a Glock 17 in production. I am used to the trigger and the "timing" of that gun. The Glock 22 I will start shooting in limited this Saturday is a very similar gun to my production G17 so there was little to zero learning curve. Now, I would never compare my G22 to a SVI or STI, but I also don't shoot at a level where I could appreciate the 2011 either.

Not trying to hijack here :ph34r:, but can you get into a rig like this much cheaper than..say a STI Tactical 5? Just curious.

I can't speak for that XD, but I can say a little something about running a CZ, as I alluded to earlier in the thread...

My entire Limited rig was less than $2300. The whole thing - gun, parts, custom work, four 140mm 20-round mags, belt, pouches, and holster.

Again - the options in Limited aren't just 2011 and plastic-fantastic.

I am now shooting a Springer Precision "Limited" XDM. So far I love it. About a 2lb trigger, magwell, Dawson FO adjustable sights, extended mag release, high capacity mags, a positive grip treatment, full length guide rod that takes 1911 springs. I am shooting 9mm which I know is minor but my magazines hold 24+1.

EDC003.jpg

Here is what I can comfortably say......WAY CHEAPER!!!! I am not talking "used, once in a lifetime, super deals" but new gun for new gun. A new XDM about $550, all this custom work (I bought my gun this way, but I have the build sheet) was about $700, belt for $55, Bladetech holster is about $65, and double mag pouch to match was $53. An entry level STI is going to run you around $1600 for and Edge with no mags.

• 1 month later...

I like the 1911/2011 platform because:

Ergonomics

Trigger

Low bore height

Accuracy

Parts/Smith's are readily available

Sexiest looking pistol

1G6U2336.jpg

Dislikes:

Price, but you gotta pay to play :lol:

I did get this Brazo tuned Edge package (minus belt and timer) below + 2 more mags for $2k

1G6U2354a.jpg

Edited by tt350z

• 1 month later...

1911\2011 platform built from the ground up to take every advantage in competition shooting (later 1911's of course). Nothing else remotely comes close to winning as many pistol championships of just about every variety as the 1911\2011.

Most polymer pistols are adapted carry, service, police, or military pistols sometimes built to a low bidder type specification.

The straight back direct trigger pull of the 1911\2011 can't be beat, you can lighten and adapt to the other systems but the 1911 style is superior.

The 1911\2011 barrel lock up system is superior especially if set up by a pro both in accuracy and recoil.

So many parts available to make the 1911\2011 pistol right for you.

Most peoples experiences are like mine, I was a revolver shooter until I shot a friends Gold Cup. I instantly became a 1911 fan and from that point on shot them nearly exclusively.

I think the original poster had his mind made up. But

I think the biggest advantage to having the best equipment is the recovery time after the shot. and its essayer to correct a mistake or error during the shooting.

A good shooter with a good stance , good grip and good index can shoot at close to identical times and scores with and off the rack gun as a full house custom.

Throw in a Bump and that goes away . I shoot revolver too m but if I miss my grip with the Revo = the game goes down hill.

The Cost of any game is in the preparation, and training. = putting lead in a cheep gun cost the same as a custom.

I have a custom that shoots as good today as 9 years ago. and it is worth the same amount of cash as when I got it.

Quality has its price , but it holds it too.

Also I have a part time shooting friend that bit the $ on a custom Dawson open gun -just before Dave stopped doing special order custom guns. my friend asked if the gun would make him a better shooter, ="this was after he spent $4,000+ on the gun and extras" I told him yes because no way he would spend that kind of cash and not go to the range to practice.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a tough question. I always shoot glocks, except one match when my only lim G22 at the time took a crap on me. A friend loaded me up with his STI Edge, and he was an A shooter at the time, me a C, and I beat him on 1 out of 4 stages. First time I shot that gun, only having shot an STI lim gun once before.

I put it up to luck though. Do STI's feel nice? yep. Nice trigger? yep.

My plastic guns take a beating though, and have rarely failed me. The only reason I stopped using one that match was because it doubled the first shot on the first stage. I wasn't going to risk anything after that. Probably my fault for not brushing the junk out of it after about 8k moly-coated rounds with no cleaning.

I could probably shoot an STI better if I practiced. But I would practice less since the cost of the gun would eat up most of my ammo budget, vs putting together a lim glock myself.

I saved up and dropped in a glockworx trigger, since last season. I don't feel as much disadvantaged to the STI triggers anymore, but it may just be my perception, since I haven't shot them side by side yet.

The STI grip is more natural for me, but I've worked on getting a different grip on my glock and it has helped a lot.

To sum it up... man I got no idea what advice to give.

For now, I'd say shoot what you got. When you feel like you are waiting for the gun to fire the next shot, then re-assess your situation.

This is just my opinion, but I can no longer get DQed for not putting my safety on. I have never done this, but now I know I can't.... :roflol: :roflol:

This is the biggest advantage of Glocks, etc... Do you want to go home from a Major match because your safety popped off upon placing your pistol in a box? I have seen several people go home from matches (Area 6 3 gun, Fort Benning) because their gun was left in an "unsafe" condition.

I love the trigger on my 1911. I also appreciate the weight/balance of the gun with major PF loads. However, my Glocks (24 or 34, depending on rules of match) will be/are my 3 gun pistols.

My guns outperform me on a regular basis. :rolleyes: