Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Got It And Like It A Lot.........

Nick Weidhaas

I had started a thread a while back asking what folks thought about an SV or STI widebody 9mm or .38sup for ESP Div. Many said they knew of folks shooting the "cross competitor" type guns set up in these calibers. A few told me to try a .40 at a 130pf before going 9mm or .38sup. Since I found a good SV short dust cover .40 at a good price, I gave it a try. I had the barrel turned down and a bushing fitted. I loaded some 180gr. bullets with Clays (Bucky's suggestion) and I was impressed at how soft the gun was. My son has a Caspian 1911 in 9mm and the MagTech ammo he shoots is a 115gr fmj and it chrono's a 130pf. My perception is that the .40 at the same 130pf is softer than his 9mm at the same pf. I didn't think it would be that way, but that is the sense I get. We also both ended up using the same recoil spring...9lbs.

Interestingly, I was talking to a Master IDPA shooter yesterday. He shoots a Glock 22 or 35 in SSP and ESP. He said he found the same thing.....40 dowloaded to a 130pf felt softer (less muzzle flip as well) than a 9mm at the same pf.

I don't think I'm going to continue to shoot the Clays in this cal. and pf, but the .40 for ESP turned out to be a good thing....

Later,

Nick-

I suspect (and I could be wrong), that the primary difference in felt recoil is that you're using a 180gr bullet in the .40 and a 115gr in the 9mm to get to the same power factor. If you could load the same bullet weight and match the velocities, I think the difference might be negligible.

Nick, I use a G35 for Limited, Lim. 10 and IDPA. My wife shoots a G34. If I download my G35 to a 130 PF using a 180 gr. bullet it will shoot a lot softer than her G34 using white box Winchester. I now load her G34 with a 147 gr bullet at a 128-130 PF. My G35 is still softer. Both of our Glocks use a 13# spring.

I agree. I have been shooting a 9mm 1911 (SA)using 126pf 147 and recently shot a friends 40 1911 (Kimber) using a 130 pf 220gr. The 40 was much softer than my lower power 9mm loads. If I didn't have a stable full of 9's already and was just starting I would definatly shoot a 130 pf 40.

Guys:

This discussion is an extension of the one DogmaDog and I had in the reloading forum.

Although he and I disagree on why, I think we net out at the same point: heavier bullets going slower create less recoil at a given pf.

Our original discussion was on 200gn vs 255gn bullets in a 45 ACP. You guys have made the issue even more obvious with the comparison between a 9mm and a .40. BTW our discussion was based on a thread started by Nick, as well...

The net is: to make a particular power factor a heavier bullet going slower will produce less recoil than a lighter bullet going faster.

Geek

Nick: Glad you like the load. It certainly saves a few $$$ not having to have a seperate top end. The only thing you need to go from IDPA to IPSC is a heavier recoil spring, longer mags, and maybe a bigger mag well. BTW: You said you like the load... but you don't think you'll be using it anymore?? Did I understand this correctly? If so, why not. Are you worried about pressure? I shoot 4.6 grains Clays behind the 180 in my STI for IPSC and have yet to have a problem. I also shoot the minor load (3.2, don't ever do the major clays in "production" guns) in a Berettas and Glocks, which are no where near as robust as your SV.

The load I was using for comparison was 3.0 grs of VV 310 under a 147 JHP Zero at a chronoed 858

HighTech: If my calc is correct, this is only a 126 power factor. Too close to the edge for my blood. I like to run at least 135pf. Keep in mind at this years FGN, the chrono gun was running 131. Have you gotten higher velocity out of the 310 with 147s or are you maxed out? I still have a bunch of 147 heads to use up.

Bucky,

I do like the load, but not the small amount of powder in the case. I'm concerned I could easily get a double charge. I also am concerned about my velocity deviation. With a small amount of powder, my velocity can deviate more than a case that contains more powder. I want to try and find a powder that feels the same as Clays, but fills more of the case. Make any sense?

Thanks again,

Nick

takliraven

I'm using a kydex Comp-Tac paddle holster (not their locking paddle) for IDPA and USPSA (1911, SV, and Glock). I love their holsters. Greg the owner is a good guy to deal with (shooter himself). I generally get my holsters within a week. (I've got a few friends to order their stuff and all have been happy.) Holsters can be ordered in a straight drop or canted (FBI). I use a canted one for work with my Glock 23 and straight drops for my 1911 and SV. The straight drop does not conceal as well, but is faster to draw from, IMHO. When Greg makes your holster, ask him for (3) tension screws (see picture on his web site of the 1911 in the locking paddle and you will see the 3 tension screws I'm talking about.) Having 3 screws really makes the holster easy to adjust. His mag pouches are also excellent (they also have a tension screw). The mag pouches snap over the belt with a really cool kydex clip that is integrated into the mag pouch and is rock solid when on the belt. I like this holsters and mag pouches as they are real easy to take on and off the belt, but solid when in place. I've treid bladetch and side armor and I think comp-tac is superior in quality and design, again IMHO. One other thing, comp tac can make their mag pouches canted for you for USPSA if you where them on the front of you body. Hope this helps. Their web site is:

http://www.comp-tac.com

Happy New Year,

Nick-

Glad your liking your new Gun!

I use a 10 lb spring in my cross-comps whether I am shooting major or minor. :-) I just make sure that it is cut to length properly. Use a spring tester from brownells to make sure that your can get a set-up for several springs.

Comp-tac.com's gear is all I use except in open class then it's a Ghost holster and CR-Speed belt and pouches. For my belt in IDPA I use a Safariland over-belt and thread it through my belt loops. It is so stiff it's awesome.

Take care,

The net is: to make a particular power factor a heavier bullet going slower will produce less recoil than a lighter bullet going faster.

That may or may not be true, but I don't believe that's what's happening here. What is happening is that, all else being equal, same bullet weight (say, 135 grains), same velocity, a .40 will operate at lower pressures than a 9mm, thus the perception of "softer" recoil.

The load I was using for comparison was 3.0 grs of VV 310 under a 147 JHP Zero at a chronoed 858

HighTech: If my calc is correct, this is only a 126 power factor. Too close to the edge for my blood. I like to run at least 135pf. Keep in mind at this years FGN, the chrono gun was running 131. Have you gotten higher velocity out of the 310 with 147s or are you maxed out? I still have a bunch of 147 heads to use up.

Bucky

That is correct the load is only a 126 pf. Yes I can and do get higher velocities. I personally don't think I would go for 135, but I also use a Glock length OAL to get just over 900 fps, with 3.1. Both of these are high pressure loads. For some reason my G-34 will not cycle reliably unless the velocity is around 900+ with a 147, recoil spring tension doesn't seem to make a great difference so when I plan to shoot the 34 I have the loads that will cycle it. The load that I have which only does 126 is exclusively for my Springfield 9mm.

Seth

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had a bushing barreled .40 cal STI built back before there was a VIP or Cross Comp. I had the short grip and Commander topend. I actually carried the thing for a year or so, I really like how it shot with the Federal Personal Defense ammo.

Using my real world IWB and shooting from under an untucked golf shirt like I carry every day I won the IDPA "Sunshine State Games" High Overall with it.

Shooting IDPA mandated 130pf gamer loads, the thing was like shooting a squirt gun, I could see the sights right through recoil.

One caveat about the short grips though, I cracked one hitting a reload, they are REALLY thin at the front, and don't have any sort of thick buffer like the stock length grips from S_I.

Blast to shoot though, sorry I had to sell it.

• 1 month later...
Although he and I disagree on why, I think we net out at the same point: heavier bullets going slower create less recoil at a given pf.

Quick physics lesson...mass times velocity (even divided by 1,000) equals power factor. This is also the equation for momentum. The formula for kinetic energy is actually mass times velocity squared. Twice the velocity equals four times the K.E. I hear people argue all the time that equal PF loads give equal recoil...HA! I would be willing to say equal K.E. loads out of the same gun (a .45 usually weign more than a Glock!) would give equal recoil.

So, a 115gr. making PF, has to go about 1,087 FPS. This yields a K.E. that is 121.7% of a 140 going 893 FPS to make the exact same power factor! What do I shoot??? A Springfield .45 with 230gr Precisions going 750 FPS. So what, I have to arc it in for the longer shots, it shoots pretty soft for a "big gun."

As a sidenote, as long as K.E. is efficiently transferred to a threat (i.e. does not go through and through), it HAS to expend this energy into that threat. More energy (expansion being equal) means better stopping power.

I would be willing to say equal K.E. loads out of the same gun (a .45 usually weign more than a Glock!) would give equal recoil.

Ignoring that minor variable we call "powder" :P . One example off the top of my head (I chronoed some 38 Super steel loads yesterday) 7.2gr AA#5 vs 5gr N320 with a 121 gr HAP. The N320 load goes faster, thus has a higher PF (136 vs 132), more KE (340 ft-lbs vs 320), but noticeably less blast and recoil. Powder choice and quantity is important.

Shred, you are correct. Great point! I did leave out that IMPORTANT variable. A powder that brings a bullet up to a specified speed more smoothly by utilizing as much of the barrel as possible to build pressure- as opposed to a FAST powder that brings it up to speed in the first few inches- will shoot "softer". That is why I use Clays. It seems to be slow enough to utilize most of the barrel in my 5" Springgfield, yet still give complete burn.

We could also make the same arguement for springs as well!