Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why all the HP bullets?

Corey

Just kinda curious, but for those who shoot JHP, why those over other bullet forms? more accuracy? better holes?

Whats the reasoning for usually paying more money for bullets than FMJ? Im shooting 45 SWC for now, but if I make the move to another caliber for another division, Id like to know why everyone seems to shoot the JHPs....

Thanks!

Most open gun shooters use the JHP bullets because the back of the bullet is jacketed and it keeps the comp a little cleaner. No lead exposed to the hot gas.

+1

A side benefit is that the manufacturing process to make JHP's allows them to be more consistent, and more accurate (generally speaking). R,

Most open gun shooters use the JHP bullets because the back of the bullet is jacketed and it keeps the comp a little cleaner. No lead exposed to the hot gas.

+1

A side benefit is that the manufacturing process to make JHP's allows them to be more consistent, and more accurate (generally speaking). R,

This is what I've been told also.

All of the above is true.

But so is the following.

The HP's used here are not of the self defense variety really so shooters are not using the real expensive types of HP's.

Also keep in mind if you shoot indoor matches or even an indoor stage at a regular match they may not allow HP bullets. One of the matches I regularly shoot falls under this category.

Just food for thought.

The HP's used here are not of the self defense variety really so shooters are not using the real expensive types of HP's.

Try telling that to the folks loading Sierra, Nosler, or Hornady XTP heads for Bianchi and 192 rounds/match.

Generally speaking, the JHP of any handgun bullet line will be the premium bullet. More consistent = more accuracy potential.

All of the above is true.

All of the above ..... more accurate, more consistent, no lead in the comp., no lead vaporized in the air, but I've also heard the argument that the way they flatten out on a popper makes them deliver a little more force to knock down steel targets. Could be something to that.

Also keep in mind if you shoot indoor matches or even an indoor stage at a regular match they may not allow HP bullets. One of the matches I regularly shoot falls under this category.

NOT TRUE (at least at this particular range). Kevin the sign you see there is about 10 years old, and referred to the older rubber curtains they used to used to slow down the bullets. It was quickly ruined by hollow-points, but the new stuff is not. The sign needs to be updated, and we are in the process of working on that. :)

I am not quite understanding the more weight in the rear of the bullet = more stability thing. I have heard it before. Look at a bow and arrow. 90% of its weight is as far forward as possible. Same thing for spears and javelins etc. Maybe there is something in the difference of spin-stabilized and fin-stabilized.

I've been told that the greater accuracy potential with JHPs comes from the idea that for a given weight bullet will have a longer straight wall and will engage more of the rifling at one time. If you poke a hole in the front of a bullet you have to add that weight back somewhere and it goes to the rear of the bullet making the straight portion of the bullet longer.

All of the above ..... more accurate, more consistent, no lead in the comp., no lead vaporized in the air, but I've also heard the argument that the way they flatten out on a popper makes them deliver a little more force to knock down steel targets. Could be something to that.

I've speculated the same thing about delivering more force to poppers...

By the way, Chris - love the avatar! Where is that from??

I am not quite understanding the more weight in the rear of the bullet = more stability thing. I have heard it before. Look at a bow and arrow. 90% of its weight is as far forward as possible. Same thing for spears and javelins etc. Maybe there is something in the difference of spin-stabilized and fin-stabilized.

Poking a hole in the nose of the bullet while keeping it at the same weight displaces metal. This displaced material ends up in the base of the bullet, which is also the bearing surface that engages the rifling. As well, lengthening the base has the effect of improving sectional density (ratio of mass to cross-sectional area)which in turn improves its ballistic behavior.

Edited by R.Elliott

Poking a hole in the nose of the bullet while keeping it at the same weight displaces metal. This displaced material ends up in the base of the bullet, which is also the bearing surface which engages the rifling. As well, lengthening the base has the effect of improving sectional density (ratio of mass to cross-sectional area)which in turn improves it's ballistic behavior.

Finally. Someone explained it instead of "thats just what I was told". Now that makes sense to me.

Try telling that to the folks loading Sierra, Nosler, or Hornady XTP heads for Bianchi and 192 rounds/match.

Generally speaking, the JHP of any handgun bullet line will be the premium bullet. More consistent = more accuracy potential.

Those bullets are not even in the same class as a Zero or MG HP. They are much better for self defense. An MG HP is really only a good paper killer. They are just different animals in my opinion.

Edited by Sarge

JHP's are far an away 'cleaner' for open gun shooters than anything else, as for more accurate??? unless we are talking sierra 168 match HP's its kind of a moot point, in this sport we are paper killer primarlily, shooting at in most cases very generous scoring rings vs. say somthing like Bianchi cup where accuracy is at a premium, when i first started shooting open guns, i shot 147 gr lead, what a nightmare, switched to a plated bullet, not as much leading but accuracy was iffy depending on the depth of the plating....sucked it up and bought the then 'expensive' true jacketed rounds and have never looked back, shot RN for a while and was still getting leading till i was clued in on the enclosed based ofthe HP....

While all the above may be true- I get all the accuracy I need out of my Berry and/or MG CMJ bullets. Bullet accuracy is NOT hurting my game in the least. That said I don't shoot any bullets with exposed lead bases!

Edited by lugnut

Gun and ammo accuracy is very important. I used to use Hornady ,cause they shot the best groups. I mean for like 15 years but when I started getting 4K of MG for same as 3K of Hornady, well I had to switch.

Heres why bullet groups count. If my gun shoots a 4 inch group that really like 8 inches of error. So a generous half of an A zone is now a possible A\C or worse 2 C's. You shouldn't worry too much about it but you should also shoot accurate ammo and HP are one of the items you need to do that.

I most certainly agree with BSeevers. I was shooting a particular bullet in another gun and shooting some pretty bad scores. I was all over the target. I figured I just was a new shooter and sucked. <_< One day I bench rested the pistol and found it was grouping around 8-10 inches at 25 yards. I changed to a bullet that got me under 3-4 inches and my scores went way up. So with all the variables that come into play in our game an accurate gun/load is absolutely essential for success.