Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 gun scope around $500?

steve mac

I have roughly $500 to spend on a scope to put on my new 3 gun rifle and I need some opinions on what I should buy. I know that my budget considerations eliminate most of the scopes that are generally viewed as the best for 3 gun, but I am hoping I can still afford something that will be sufficient. I already have a Larue SPR mount with 30mm rings so I would like to get a scope with a 30mm tube if that is possible in my price range, illumination would be nice but I know that it probably isn't going to happen. It doesn't really matter to me if the scope is true 1x or not, if the scope is a 1.5x or even a 2x on the bottom end I can still run it fast enough for my uses.

I am not a Tac Optic shooter, so take it for what it's worth, but I've been very pleased with the Bushnell Elite 4200 line. I have a 1.25x4x24 that is really good glass. I don't have anything other than an Aimpoint to compare the illumination to, but even in the bright sun the dot is visible, just not as bright as the Aimpoint. They aren't as cheap as they were a year ago, but still a very good scope for $500. I haven't used mine much yet because I don't want to give up my irons.

One of the other popular 30mm scopes is the Millet DMS, but I think the glass on the Bushnell is worlds ahead of the Millet.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=473924

ETA- Looks like you can still get it for under $450 at Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Elite-1-25-4-Rainguard-Riflescope/dp/B0000A0AFX/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1266368585&sr=8-8

Edited by Bryan 45

Same thing not long ago for me. I ended up with a Weaver Classic Extreme 1.5x4.5 x 30mm in a Larue mount. It has a nice small red dot you can turn on and off. The dot was my deciding factor. I haven't shot it much but I like it so far.

Edited to add- I type to slow and that Vortex looks pretty nice.

Edited by dstroyed

• 1 month later...

Leatherwood/Hi-Lux CMR 1-4x I just got mine in the mail on Friday. I bought it from Midway USA, $307 delivered!!! Very sturdy feeling, and the glass is extremely clear. They use glass from Japan, finely ground and polished and multi-coated. The reticle is a cool 6/7 of a circle with a 1 MOA dot in the center... neat idea. It allows the shooter to see the target better. The illumination is only for low light. You can not see it while outside in the sun. But if you are trekking through the woods, in and out of sun and shade, having it on works great. Obviously, it is great for near dusk situations. The new ZRO-LOK turrets are great to work with. Easy to zero and set at the zero mark (in case you twist it by accident). They are only 1/2 MOA clicks..... Oh, and it has a great eye relief as well. I wish it came with a quick picatinny mount, but I had to buy mine! A detail I forgot, so I had it for a day before I could shoot it! I got it to a quick zero in a few shots at an indoor range, so it will be on paper at 100 M. Can't wait to spend time working it out on the range.

Edited by CB1_CO

I love my Millet DMS-1. I'm sure I will eventually move on to a Leupold or Triijicon, but I'm very satisfied with the Millet for now. With the extra money you have left over buy a cat tail for it and still be able to pocket some cash or buy more mags.

They also sell quickly if you decide to upgrade!:)

I've got the Burris XTR 1x4. Great glass, a true 1x, BDC, and illuminated reticle. If there was one thing I think would improve this scope, it would be a brighter reticle in daylight. But, all in all, a great buy, if you get someone to buy it at wholesale. Like the Burris mount, too.

If you said you only had $300.00 to spend I would have recomended the Millet DMS. With $500.00 in your pocket I would say wait a few until you have a couple hundred more and get a Meopta 1-4 Ill. K-dot or Trijicon TR24. Either would be worth the wait.

If you said you only had $300.00 to spend I would have recomended the Millet DMS. With $500.00 in your pocket I would say wait a few until you have a couple hundred more and get a Meopta 1-4 Ill. K-dot or Trijicon TR24. Either would be worth the wait.

+1

I just depleted my bank account with a TR24, and there are no regrets.

Just got a Millett DMS-1 with a Burris PEPR mount and I love it! It's not as close to 1x as Meopta K-Dot, but closer than a TR21 accupoint. I also just love the reticle!

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the Burris XTR 1x4. Great glass, a true 1x, BDC, and illuminated reticle. If there was one thing I think would improve this scope, it would be a brighter reticle in daylight. But, all in all, a great buy, if you get someone to buy it at wholesale. Like the Burris mount, too.

Just got the Burris XTR on the AR PEPR mount. Pleasantly surprised it seemed zeroed from the factory. Shot dead on at 25 yards and needed just a click right at 100. Am confused about the reticle though. The papers with the scope clearly show three dots within the horseshoe but I can only, for the life of me, see two. Spoke to a Burris rep and he said there should be three. Am I just blind?

This issue aside, the BDC works pretty well. I know it's calibrated for 62gr. load but I shot 55s and 77s and hit 10x10 steel plates all the way out to 400 yards. As for the missing dot indicating 200 yard POA, I just bracketted the steel plate between the center and six o'clock dots and rang it.

Not too concerned about the illumination washing out in bright sun at distance. Seems to work well up close.

There are three, if your focus is just a little off you cant see the 200yd dot and it too small to be of use anyway. I just use the 100yd dot and zero a bit high at 100, that puts you a little low at 200, less than a inch both ways. The 300 dot and 400 hash are right on. I havet got futher out than that. Good little scope, I like it and the mt.-----------Larry

There are three, if your focus is just a little off you cant see the 200yd dot and it too small to be of use anyway. I just use the 100yd dot and zero a bit high at 100, that puts you a little low at 200, less than a inch both ways. The 300 dot and 400 hash are right on. I havet got futher out than that. Good little scope, I like it and the mt.-----------Larry

I must be blind then. I've twisted that focus ring every which way and can't find that 200yd dot. But no matter, it gets me hits anyway. As a confidence builder this scope's hard to beat.

I found my K Dot new online for $600.

Me too. Now I just need the rest of my stuff to go in so I can take it shooting. Glass looks great, illumination levels are perfect. I love that there's an off in between each level. I'm gonna start getting really annoyed at my other dots that don't have this.

Ever look at the Burris AR-332? I bought one to try out and havn't taken it off yet! Great little scope, was worried about the fixed 3x but after playing with it my concerns were gone. It uses the same base as an acog so there are options for quick detach.

Just my $.02 worth

Chris Benson