Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ramshot For .40s&w

Nick Weidhaas

Hello,

I've always used Clays in .45acp with good results. When I started loading for .40 S&W recently (130pf for IDPA) I tired Clays and did not like the way it felt. I'm shooting Masterblaster bullets right now and they also sell Ramshot powder. I was wondering if anyone has found one of the Ramshot powders they like. I'm specifically looking for a powder I could load for a lower and higher pf for both IDPA and USPSA. Gun is a SV.

Note, one of the other conserns I have is a double charged load, when using a powder that only puts a "little powder" in the case. I also think powders that fill the case run a more consistent velocity.

Any help would be appreciated.

Nick-

Nick

Problem is that every powder is made with a singular objective in mind. Very few are applicable to load reduced loads and full power stuff. downloaded ammo runs into lots of problems, possible overcharged loads, very high standard deviation over the screens, possible large extreme spread, possible poor accuracy, and the list goes on and on.

The powder burn rate should help you pick a few powders which would be applicable. If you are loading ammo down to get a lower PF, try a lighter bullet, assuming the accuracy is the same, so you can load MORE powder to avoid the things I mentioned above. remember light bullets need fast powder and heavy ones slower powder. I am afraid that no matter what you choose, there will likely be some disagreeable side effects, and most if not all will mean that you need to run different spring set up in your gun.

I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but there is no easy solution to big caliber handguns shooting big and most times heavy bullets, at a reduced velocity that is clean, accurate, stable when you chrony it, meters well, and fills the case to a reasonable level, and feels good when you shoot it.

tightloop,

Thanks for the input. I reached out to Tom Stidham, the owner of Masterblaster bullets and he told me the same thing you did....only moments ago :D. I guess I can't have my cake and eat it too...

Tom recommended Ramshot Zip for major pf .45 and 40 loads. As you did, he also said I can't do it all with one powder (actually he said I could, but I would not be getting the most out of each load) and need to go to a slower burning powder for the light pf .40 load I want to use in IDPA. He recommended Silhouette. I've got an email out to him asking about Ramshot Trueblue which is even slower than Silhouette and I believe will fill more fo the case. As you mentioned, my biggest fear is using a tiny bit of powder in a reduced .40 load and having a KABOOOM due to a double charge I did not catch.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. Hope you all had a good holiday. If anyone has any .40 loads for Zip, Silhouette or Trueblue, I'd love to see them.

Thanks again,

Nick-

nick,

Tightloop is right on the money with his post...

My experience with Silhouette just FYI.

I have used some Silhouette in the past with a 200gr. lead bullet in .40 s&w.

When I first started reloading (higher PF at that time), I was guided by a great shooter and reloader who started me on some of his favorite powders which were medium burning powders. My first powder was WSF. Well as my experience grew, I decided to try other powders with roughly the same burn rates (N340 & Silhouette). I can tell you that using the 200gr. lead bullet, the Silhouette was the slowest of the N340 and WSF. The N340 being the quicker of the three.

I haven't tried the True Blue, but if it's slower that Silhouette, It may be to slow for your use. I've also talked to others about Zip, it is a quicker powder probably more suited to IPSC with lower charge weights.

When I was considereing the Ramshot line, I made a call to them for their advice. They were very nice and helpful. Should you want to call, their numbers are

406-232-0422 and 1-800-497-1007. Also they have a site at www.ramshot.com.

If easily available, give WSF a try. They have load data for lead (i think 200gr. and 170gr.)

Best of luck.. :)

I don't load for the 40, but I have tried Zip, and True Blue in the 9mm, also Tac and Big Game in the .308. All the loads I tried in the .308 with either powder were a disappointment. My Dad was happy with the 30-06 Big Game loads I made up for him. He is interested in minute-of-deer accuracy, I'm interested in sub minute-of-angle. TB in the 9 was too hot for my purposes at the lightest load that would function my G-34 the pf was about 145. I needed to use 5 grs to get the gun to cycle and when I chronoed it that is what it came out too. I tried Zip about a year ago and it metered nice, but didn't perform as well as the VV I was already using. Also I had to use alot more than called for to make pf.

I'm not a big fan of any of the Ramshot line, but maybe I just don't have the right application.

I did and it seems to me that your tables would be more helpful if they listed velocities.

I do not list velocities or pressures because they will vary with every firearm.

Take a look at the published manuals, and find two that agree on a specific loading.

Maybe list guns used w/ barrel lengths... seems to work in every loading manual I've seen, including Maass' page.

That doesn't work either.

I have three Ruger "flat bolt" 77V rifles with consecutive serial numbers in .22-250.

NONE of the three deliver the same performance with the same ammunition. As a matter of fact, all three "like" different bullet/powder combinations.

If you go to http://stevespages.com/table1.html you will find some of my favorite loads. There I list the firearm, and I also list what the printed reloading manuals state the velocity of the load I use, along with what I actually recorded on my chronies.

Nick, why not try Titegroup. It is my favorite powder for .40. I load 4.3 gr with a 180 Rainier bullet to 1.130" OAL for Major and 3.2 gr for IDPA. These loads are shot in a Glock 35 so you will have to adjust if you load long in a 1911. Seems like I had to go up to 4.6 gr. at a 1.200" OAL. It is clean, cheap and soft.

Thanks for all the feedback. I did go to Steve's pages, but did not see any Ramshot loads. Maybe I missed them. I may try some of the other loads I saw there.

Maybe Tight Group would be my best bet as it is available locally and it is cheap. I have not seen any Ramshot locally and may have to hunt to get some.

I chronoed some loads recently (.40 S&W w/ 130pf) with Clays and the MB bullet and my velocity was all over the place. DV was as much as 100fps. Someone told me to tilt the gun up and them lower it to get an accurate reading when shooting over the chrono. I guess this makes sense if there is only a small amount of powder in the case. I'll have to give it a try.

Thanks,

Nick-

Thanks for all the feedback. I did go to Steve's pages, but did not see any Ramshot loads. Maybe I missed them. I may try some of the other loads I saw there.

Maybe Tight Group would be my best bet as it is available locally and it is cheap. I have not seen any Ramshot locally and may have to hunt to get some.

I chronoed some loads recently (.40 S&W w/ 130pf) with Clays and the MB bullet and my velocity was all over the place. DV was as much as 100fps. Someone told me to tilt the gun up and them lower it to get an accurate reading when shooting over the chrono. I guess this makes sense if there is only a small amount of powder in the case. I'll have to give it a try.

Thanks,

Nick-

That's because "Ramshot" is not the name of a powder, but it is the name of the distributor.

Ramshot powders include:

X-TERMINATOR

TAC

BIG GAME

MAGNUM

ZIP

TRUE BLUE

ENFORDER

SILHOUETTE

COMPETITION

Silhouette powder, Ramshot brand name , distributed by Western powders , is manufactured by Winchester/Olin for Ramshot. It bears an uncanny resemblance to the discontinued WAP ( Win. ) powder in both charge weight and pressure/velocity.

Dunno about the rest of the lines origin, but this info. came directly from Western powder.

Travis F.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I agree with others on the tables found at steves pages. I do not use loads without velocity...and i know they vary from firearm to firearm.

I cant imagine a reloading manual that would list powder charges without velocity or overall length.

I will not use, nor post a load without the velocity(or Powerfactor) and overall lenght. im especially leery of loads with velocity without the barrel lenght, or gun model fired in.

For trustworthy loads, i like to see:

OAL

Primer make

Powder charge & make/model

bullet weight, brand and style

gun specifics.. another important item that is often left off is the temerature when the loads were chronographed.

A load that makes major at 0 degrees F in a 9mm major probably isnt going to be safe in the 100 degree texas summer.

Competition should make a good minor load for the 40...though i havent used it so i cannot post on it.

However, 155 grain precision bullet in winchester brass, federal 100 primer 1.135 oal 4.4 grains ramshot ZIP makes a hell of a steel load at 925 fps in my glock 22(85 degrees F when chronoed)

I think Ramshot Zip is Win 231. I got this from a Ramshot Salesman. So take that with a grain of salt, But, it is made in Florida, It looks like 231 and it has the same load data. So for me I would assume it is 231. Ramshot Tac is probubly the best powder in a 223 with 62 grain and heaver bullets, It rocks.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using Ramshot Competition for my minor revolver loads. 3.8 to 4.04 gr with a 140 Moly coated RN from Bear creek. The 4.04 gr load made 136 PF out of my 6.5" 610 at the IRC. I load them to 1.135" and they are pretty accurate in my 610 out to about 40 yards. I use Federal small pistol primers and Winchester brass. I've not tried using heavier bullets.

Vince

Edited by sargenv

• 2 years later...

I been playing around with Ramshot Competition in .40. it works just fine until I try to go over 4.0 grains, over this amount and it will not meter consistantly in my 550. So, at this amount it doesn't quite make major with a 180. My measure has been polished and works great most other powders. I think the powder is too light and fluffy to flow properly.

• 2 weeks later...