Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why 9Major is safer to reload than others

fritzthemoose

Simply because a double load is impossible.

I would have had 2 double loads within the last few days if I had loaded anything else then 9 Major. OK admitingly due to my own fault but still.

When moving down the shellplate a saw that I forgot to put a bullet on the case. So I put the bullet on and moved the shellplate up again. Because that was done before indexing of course the case at the powder station was lifted and filled up again too. No problem with 9 Major as no way to fit 16 grains in. But different ballgame with a .40 for example or even with a normaly loaded 9mm

The shellplate did not index because the primer was not pushed completely out and so jammed the press. So I moved the shellplate up again to push the primer out completely. Of course some scenario at the powder station as above.

I do have to say that I dont pay any attention on doulbe loads but was still surprised how easy it can happen

Unless you are loading real light with fast powder I would think 9mm in general would be harder to double charge. I load 9mm major and since the case is damn near filled up to make major I would have to agree with your basic statement. But I am still a bit nervous about the pressures involved....especially when using range brass.

The other day I got some of my 9mm major mixed up with my Submachine gun ammo.....I shot maybe 6 rounds. I took a look at the spent casings...out of the 6- two casings had lengthwise splits down the side. The Uzi (open bolt) shot it just fine...I assume the loose Uzi chamber was to blame...but if one of these went off out of battery...Watch Out.

My Super load (10.0-ish of N105) would be all over the place - I can only fit 13.0 grains of N105 in a Supercomp case... My .40 load, on the other hand, I could double charge (4.5 of N320), but could not triple it - and I'd have to not be paying attention (I look in each case before placing a bullet...)

I recently bought a tiny LED light and mounted it so I could clearly see inside the case after powder drops.

I have a table mounted flexy-neck lamp for the same reason. Even, though I can't 2x charge my 9Major load, I make it a habit to check.

Not only for double charges but also for lack of powder. Squibs suck, too.

I use a 650, load 9major, and take hand loading very seriusly and have thus created specific rules for myself;

1. Use the powder check station.

2. Visually check the powder charge each time.

3. Lumination of the entire shell plate area.

4. No distractions, Radio, TV, beverages, etc.

5. Load 200rds take a break.

6. Case gage every round.

7. Powder used is the only powder stored near the press, and the powder type written on the resivor. All other powder types are stored in another area.

8. If I have any doubt about a loaded round I will take it apart.

9. Measure the OAL randomly.

10. Weigh the powder charge randomly and at the beginning of each loading session.

11. Prior to begining a loading session check the locking nuts of each die.

12. I do not top off the powder with powder from a different lot.

Just about any open gun load won't accept a double charge.

+1 I was thinking the same thing. I'm running 10.5gr of N105 and you could probably get 12.5gr in...maybe a touch more, but even at that, it would be hard to seat a bullet (and still wouldn't hurt anything as it's a load VV actually lists).

Nothing replaces looking at each case when you seat the bullet.

I will not set a bullet until I have verified the powder charge visually. Loading 9 major does make that a little easier but I have had a spider web stay in the case and cause it to be too full. I always figure everything but the powder charge can be checked after the round is loaded so that's why I place such a priority on the powder charge.

I use a 650, load 9major, and take hand loading very seriusly and have thus created specific rules for myself;

1. Use the powder check station.

2. Visually check the powder charge each time.

3. Lumination of the entire shell plate area.

4. No distractions, Radio, TV, beverages, etc.

5. Load 200rds take a break.

6. Case gage every round.

7. Powder used is the only powder stored near the press, and the powder type written on the resivor. All other powder types are stored in another area.

8. If I have any doubt about a loaded round I will take it apart.

9. Measure the OAL randomly.

10. Weigh the powder charge randomly and at the beginning of each loading session.

11. Prior to begining a loading session check the locking nuts of each die.

12. I do not top off the powder with powder from a different lot.

Now I like this. Laminate it and hang it next to the reloader so you don't forget. While a double charge is dangerous the no charge seems to be the one that I see most often. Followed by a gun busting round that does work.

13. No Loading on Friday Night after Happy Hour. Even if you only had one.

Edited by CocoBolo