Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

It's that time again. Need to renew my anti-virus subscription.

Currently, I use the Trend Micro anti-virus and have been fairly happy with it.

Should I renew the same or change to another program? Any recommendations? :unsure:

Trend micro has good overall reviews but I had a lot of problems with it and the customer service was horrible.

If what you has works for you, then there's probably no reason to change.

If you want to change, I've used AVG for years and only had a big problem once and tech support helped sort it out and even used the results we turned up to create a patch in the next update.

I work in the IT industry and have had experience with all the the AV programs above and they all offer good protection.

As for the paid versions, Webroot and Trend Micro they do a good job but you do have to pay for them.

I have personally used AVG the most. It does an extremely good job for being free.

I've tried Avast, wasn't impressed.

Two AV's I hate are anything Norton and McAfee Internet security related. Why pay to slow down your computer or lock out your internet access? They can be difficult to remove even with the corporate uninstallers and are resource hogs.

When I set up a PC for friends or family I install AVG free and Malwarebytes. I give them instructions to run MalwareBytes at the first sign of any trouble. This combination has helped me minimize the "help" calls.

...Should I renew the same or change to another program? Any recommendations? :unsure:

Whatever you run, if you choose to "renew", I find it usually doesn't cost any more to just go out and buy this year's version, and then uninstall the old and install the new. That way you get the latest features of the program which were developed in the last year that you won't have if you just renew your existing system.

Microsoft security essentials has the best detection rate currently of all the free anit-virus/anti-malware/anti-spyware out there. Avast free edition is the next closest, but MSE takes up less memory and processor. 

IIRC kaspersky still leads the pack of all the paid solutions. 

Microsoft security essentials has the best detection rate currently of all the free anit-virus/anti-malware/anti-spyware out there. Avast free edition is the next closest, but MSE takes up less memory and processor. 

IIRC kaspersky still leads the pack of all the paid solutions. 

Using Security Essentials for the last few months and have been happy. Free is always good and even better when it works and the definitions are actively updated.

Using Security Essentials for the last few months and have been happy. Free is always good and even better when it works and the definitions are actively updated.

I have been using MSE on a new laptop for a few months now with no problems. I will not make the mistake of going through all the latest and greatest anti-virus, spyware and firewall stuff that is out there like I did with my 10 year old desktop. I think less is definitely more.

Was a big AVG fan using the paid version, but have since moved to MSE.

Used to also be a big Online Armour fan as firewall, but am quite pleased with the Win7 firewall. MS is surprising me.

All that being said, I also have Malwarebytes loaded on my puter with SuperAntispyware loaded on a thumb drive as BUG's!

I have been using MSE on a new laptop for a few months now with no problems. I will not make the mistake of going through all the latest and greatest anti-virus, spyware and firewall stuff that is out there like I did with my 10 year old desktop. I think less is definitely more.

If I remember correctly, Microsoft bought both of those technologies in the firewall and antivirus and "absorbed" the companies that wrote them.

• 1 month later...

I have used NORTON 2007 and found that it slows my PC down and its clunky to use. I now use the free version of AVG (downloaded here at CNET) and found it meet and exceeds my needs, it's easy to use. It works in the back round and auto updates. AVG works great for me.

• 2 weeks later...

In the past I've had Mcafee's Security Suite and Norton's Security Suite. Even gave the free version Avast a try. They all really slowed things down to an annoying crawl some times / most of the time.

Avast even slowed down the loading of web pages.

FINALLY I've found something that is actually fast and hasn't annoyed me... not even once!

It's the new Norton Security Suite Version: 4.0.0.127 I got it free from Comcast.

I've got it on my wife's PC too. She said it doesn't slow her's down either.

For the first time I'm actually pleased with an anti-virus program... did I say that?

I thought I'd never say that...

Check it out.

If you want an "internet security suite", the free programs just won't cut it. For those computers that might see questionable content, I pay for and run Kaspersky Internet Security. For the dumber machines (i.e. HTPC), I use the free version of Avast!

I have used NORTON 2007 and found that it slows my PC down and its clunky to use. I now use the free version of AVG (downloaded here at CNET) and found it meet and exceeds my needs, it's easy to use. It works in the back round and auto updates. AVG works great for me.

That was 2007. 2009 was blazingly fast, and 2010 continues to run with no discernable overhead.