Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 gun AR optic

gunut

New to 3- GUN shooting: MGM Ironman sign ups are less than 24hrs away......Woooooooo Hooooooo

For long to mid range matches I I use a Center Point 10x24x40 scope on 1 inch risers and in between the risers I have a .45 double star cant mount for my Mbus rear sight. A Mbus front sight on a .45 double star cant mount on top of the gas block.

For Tactical rifle matches shooting less that 100 yards I'm running a Eotech 512 holo sight on a 1 inch full block riser with a Mbus rear sight and in front on top of the gas block I use a mbus front sight on a 1 inch riser.

I'm finding out that the longer the distance for a target, I'm having to put my optics up higher on the flat top of my AR. My adjustments seem to be more effective at long range say over 300 yards. When I had my optics directly on the flattop I had a terrible time adjusting at 200 yards plus. I started doing the same thing for my optic on my hunting rifle, huge improvement.

Regarding the Eotech optic, I tried using a magnifier and I had a hard time getting used to it. Knock off magnifiers totally make the red dot fuzzy.

Also I find my Eotech optic hard to use past 200 yards.

As far as the actual RED DOT on optics. I think Aimpoint has the Cleanist crisp RED DOT of all the optics I have tried.

Edited by DKGlock34

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aimpoint M4. Excellent eye relief and true 1x speed. Battery life is pretty good and best of all it is daylight visible!

The M4 is a good red dot but its just that a red dot with no magnification no bullet drop, no way to dial in a different zero quickly. In my opinion not a good option for the game other than in Limited class.

Pat

Aimpoint M4. Excellent eye relief and true 1x speed. Battery life is pretty good and best of all it is daylight visible!

The M4 is a good red dot but its just that a red dot with no magnification no bullet drop, no way to dial in a different zero quickly. In my opinion not a good option for the game other than in Limited class.

Pat

I guess it's a good thing that I use it in limited then. It is still a very effective AR optic for three gun and that was the question. A red dot can still play, and many times do very well. The search for the ideal optic for any division will continue, but eventually you just need to pick something and shot with it. I suggest it would be better to practice long and hard with most any appropriate (even if less than ideal) optic than to constantly switch optics chasing the latest and greatest. I have been down that frustrating road. The last thing I would add is that the downfall of these threads asking for optic advice is that every person (and their eyes) are different, so what is great for one may not be acceptable to another.

Good luck!

As far as the actual RED DOT on optics. I think Aimpoint has the Cleanist crisp RED DOT of all the optics I have tried.

As implied by Stlhead above, different eyes seem to see these optics differently. In particular for people with astigmatism, it really is beneficial to get eyes on specific optics. For example, Aimpoints usually look like more like comets or blobs for me (but not all Aimpoints, I have an old CompM2 which is pretty clear for me). Eotech reticles look clearer (but not perfect) for me. Other people have the opposite perception. So best to see for yourself!

There are lots of options out there for optics. If you are on a budget, I recommend the Nikon m223 1-4x. It's not a true 1x scope, but it's very close. It also does not have an electronic reticle. You can get the optic and specific mount for under $400. Overall, it's a good optic for weekend warriors on a budget.

Did anyone look at the Premier 1x8 at SHOT this year? Wondering if it might be a good cadidate. I've heard is is supposed to be released later this year.

I spent time with the V8 prototype at last year's Shot. Disclaimer: I am a very biased PR consumer, have their 3-15x Gen2 XR and 5-25x Gen2 XR for LR guns (AR10 in .260 and AIAW in .260 respectively). They are phenomenal scopes, imo. The glass is superb and their reticle designs are where they made their name.

I think the PR 1.1-8x will be a niche winner overall but it runs the risk of being too high end for the intended market.

For 3-gun segment: how many folks will put a $2600 scope on a say $1500-$2000 AR?

Btw: in PR's current mkt segment, it's not unusual in the LR game to have your optic cost more than the rifle.

3-gun Application:

It depends on what kind of 3-gun matches you shoot. With the distances that we shoot regularly out West, it will be nice to have the 6-8x range with mil references. If you're not shooting past 300 yds, probably not worth the money.

Pros:

Especially nice featues (SFP Dot below 3x, FFP, CQB mil-based 3-8x) if you are accustomed to using elevation/windage holds like we do in LR comps.

Having the simple reddot in the SFP at the lower mags is a great concept. Note: the new S&B 1-8x ShortDot is very similiar feature-wise.

PR's tubes are built like tanks. Tactile feel of turrets, zero-stop setting, etc. are well designed and executed.

Specs: 12.44" length

26 oz.

3.54" eye relief

105.3' FOV (@100yds)

Cons:

It will be expensive especially considering the price point of what most folks consider for a 3-gun AR scope ($2600).

Heavier and longer than what most folks use today.

Release Date? I think the current word is June/July '11 if I remember correctly.

Another opinion: I love the feature set and understand how it drives that price point, i.e., I don't believe they are "value pricing" the V8 -- those feature are expensive to design and manufacture with high quality.

Sum, for folks needing the magnification and that are already considering the S&B (similiarly priced) or the Swaro or USOs, it will be worth a look.

for open division, i use a Tr11 with Jpoint on the side. Here in the west, most of our shots are out to 350- 400 and the Tr11 do it well. at closer ranges, i think a TR24 will serve well. for tactical class, I really like the XTR and Tac 30. I once was Tactical shooter and when i tried the XTR, i was still within the same amount of time running the stage using my open gun. so I think the burris are good choices.

leupold 1x8 was at shot show and it was really cool. You can get a couple of different reticles in it, but I would like to have the H 58. Also Horus Vision has a 1.5 x 8 it is called the Black Bird, and it has the H 58 reticle.

Leupold is a good scope, excellent really. I think it is a little heavy for 3 gun and dialing up is kind of slow. I played with one for December and it was really cool to put my rifle on a porch support and see the 500 yd gong clearly. Lot of quaver at 8x. Still would like one in the kit. At 1x it wasn't in Trijicon's class as a red dot. Designated CQBSS 1-8. If I was sitting on someone's front door, this would be the scope. Really good scope. Couple for sale on eBay or somewhere. Also really good as a observation scope-big eye relief.

You really could not find your answer via the search function? This question is argued in every other thread.

The answer is clear, one cannot even enter a major 3 gun match unless you have spent over $5K on your scope. Linda Chico and her HAL computer KNOW what scope you have and will not accept your entry unless they approve. It must be a -1X on the bottom end and +50X on the top end and have a BDC calibrated to every known 5.56 and 7.62 load. It must have an intregal laser range finder. And a chronograph. And a timer. And a Larue dillo.

Leupold, Swarovski and Schmidt and Bender are all in a race to put out their new -1X to 50X scopes at the 2012 SHOT show. Expected retail price: $1,000,000.

See you in Tac Limited. :cheers:

You really could not find your answer via the search function? This question is argued in every other thread.

Don't even need the search function, it's a sticky goof.gif

Optic Selection Sticky

See you in Tac Limited. :cheers:

Us optic guys just need a little extra help now and then cheers.gif

Edited by GorillaTactical

its not sarcasm, its just that after awhile it gets old seeing the same questions asked every week, with the same replies. So you break up the monotony and maintain your sanity by giving,.....................................different replies :devil:

besides as a moderator he can be condescending without fear of reappraisals :roflol:

trapr

My open set-up is a Burris XTR 1.5 x 6 on a Larue Mount, I have a C-MORE STS on the side 45 degree Burkett Mount. Old eyes, I need the 6x:surprise:

Scoped Tactical I have a Leupold CQ 1 x 3 on one gun and a TA01 with combat sights on the other.

Instead of spending the 1,000,000 above I decided on a Stat phone to call in air support. You can't score what doesn't exist anymore.