Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 gun AR optic

gunut

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Trijicon TR21 & TR 24 both with German #4 cross hairs and the green dot.

There's a big list of 3 gun optics on the top of the rifle thread. Here is the link. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=97821 If it ain't on there you proibably don't want it for 3 gun.

Off the top of my head, the mist chatter in here about scopes is usually about the meopta, buris, leupold, trijicon, millet, swarovski in no particular order.

Edited by jtischauser

I just spent a couple of weeks trying to figure out what optic to get for 3 gun. You can read for days on this subject just

on this forum alone but there are other forums with lots of info as well. It really boils down to how much you can spend

and how much you want to spend. Once you figure that out you can narrow down your choices. Also time frame you want to buy

plays a role. There is a lot of new stuff announced but not readily available yet like the Gen2 Burris XTR, the Vortex optic and

others. I finally decided on the TR24-3G based on the availability, features, reviews, and cost.

How about an open division optic? I have a Meopta, but have been told I might need more magnification for open. For my local matches I can use a 9mm AR with a cmore( we can only get about 60 yards here) I would like to do some bigger matches this year, so I'm shopping for a new optic.

I have a trijicon ta01 with the 4x fixed and tritium illumination. It takes practice to get use to all the different lines that are there for bullet drop and fixed 4 power is a little slow for close range. The optics are great and the eye relief is very short, something like 2". I didn't know this forum existed when I was trying to get back into the sport last year after being out of it for 10 years. I probably wouldn't buy this scope again. I'm suck with it for a while till I can get a different model.

The trijicons 3.5 fixed with red fiber optic illuminated donut and BDC looks a bit better. It's faster and the illuminaiton can be controlled by using target tape. The eye relief is also longer.

How about an open division optic? I have a Meopta, but have been told I might need more magnification for open. For my local matches I can use a 9mm AR with a cmore( we can only get about 60 yards here) I would like to do some bigger matches this year, so I'm shopping for a new optic.

The Meopta should do fine out to 400 or so. It all depends on how good your eyes are.

Chris C.

leupold 1x8 was at shot show and it was really cool. You can get a couple of different reticles in it, but I would like to have the H 58. Also Horus Vision has a 1.5 x 8 it is called the Black Bird, and it has the H 58 reticle.

• 2 weeks later...

I looked at the 1x8 Leupold at the SHOT too and asked about how long it would be until it was available and was told late 3rd quarter. The 1x8 with on a LuRue mount is what I will be looking at when it comes out.

Until then I think the XTR Burris on a LuRue is going to be it for me this year.

I looked at the 1x8 Leupold at the SHOT too and asked about how long it would be until it was available and was told late 3rd quarter. The 1x8 with on a LuRue mount is what I will be looking at when it comes out.

Until then I think the XTR Burris on a LuRue is going to be it for me this year.

Sorry, clicked before I finished. Has anyone used a pistol scope mounted out near the end of the handguard? I tried a Leupold 4x and it seemed more forgiving on head position when changing from standing to prone. That was just in the house, too much snow on the ground to want to get out and test for real. But, I haven't seen a 1 to 4x pistol scope with an illuminated reticle. Does make the gun nose heavy.

Shooting a new Burris Euro 3-10 with 30mm tube in a Burris PEPR 30mm mount. Sets forward on receiver, as the EURO scopes have generous eye relief and transmit LOTS of light. Best setup I have tried on my AR's.

I haven't heard much said about Bushnell's Elite 4200 1.25-4. In my experience with their higher magnification optics, they are very clear and sharp and seem like a bargain for the money.

Has anybody tried one of these and how do you like it? An illuminated reticle with good glass for $400 or so, would be a good deal for a guy on a budget.

I have the Elite 4200 1.25x4. The dot is visible in the bright sun- but not as bright as an Aimpoint. Optics are clear from edge to edge. Eye relief is not excessive like the Trijicon scopes, I have mine mounted in a JP mount and it's one space back from the front of the receiver. I haven't shot it in a match yet because I shoot irons usually, but it looks like it will work well. I have been very pleased with other Bushnell Elite scopes I've had on hunting rifles which is why I gave this one a try. Search Amazon for the best prices on this scope.

Will it have daylight illumination? No? Well...darn...no need to wait

Good news Alex! The US Optics does! And you have the choice of either Red or Green illumination.

So how many do you want? :P

Erik

Edited by Bear1142

I have been using the 1.1-4x24 Zenith Short Dot LE for a few years now, dont run a small red dot sight yet, but might do so in the future.

I used the original 1.1-4x24 Short Dot earlier, liked it and it is still a very good scope.

Specifically with regards to civilian/IPSC use, what I like about the newer Zenith version is that the second focal plane dot can be utilized to longer ranges than on the older Short Dot, the locking turrets are very easy to use. I prefer the No 7. reticle over the CQB reticle for sporting use.

Many of the top guys here have gone over to the 1-6 Swarovski, but I do not have a lot of trigger time on that.

Right now I am looking to see S&B introduce the 1-8 Short Dot, examined it at the SHOT Show and will take a look at the newest models at the IWA expo this month.

With the dot being in the second focal plane and the reticle in the first, when powering down the reticle is reduced, which I prefer and when powering up the reticle enlarges, but as mentioned with regards to the Zenith Short Dot, the dot can be used to longer distances.

rifle10.jpg

• 10 months later...

Too bad Leupold has it priced at over 3 grand. :blink: Its nice but not that nice.

Running a Burris XTR on a Larue SPR-E mount as far forward as I can get it.

Chris C.

I agree, I have used many optics and was stuck between the Vortex Razor and the Burris XTR and I still went with the XTR. I like the SFP and with the Gen II illumination

It is daylight visible. Love the reticle also. I wrote a review of the Burris and posted it to this forum. Good luck with whatever you end up deciding.