Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mini red dots

usmc1974

I have been thru the gamut and believe it or not the most reliable one I found is the tasco optima you can pick up on ebay for around 70 bucks. they all will eventually go out its just which will last the longest.

I have an STS that I have not tried yet.

I have a JPoint. It's ok-really light, kind of small-the sight not the dot, so it is more like shooting a Limited gun-really needs visual concentration to stay on it. Yeah, that's always true, but you can lose the dot, you don't lose a front sight. Usually. The Docter has the same base-so you can go to that if the optics on the JPoint aren't to your liking.

I have the Burris Fastfire II and have enjoyed it. It functions and holds zero well. Bright enough for bright sunlight in the summer and a nice field of view.

The on/off switch and point of aim adjustments can be a bit quirky, but nothing that is a deal-breaker. Not sure if it is the battery or just the unit, but I have been through one battery since the purchase last April.

Good Luck!

Kyle

I've been running a STS for about 3 months now with no issues. The dot is bright, lens is glass, sight body is made of aluminum and best of all you don't have to remove the sight from your gun to replace the battery.

Edited by Davidp1911

Thanks guys for all the info. I am not going to mount it on the slide. I just think they take to much of a beating. The STS looks good.

If you're not mounting it on the slide, why not go with a regular C-More? The field of view is much larger, which translates into being able to find the dot faster on the draw.

Thanks guys for all the info. I am not going to mount it on the slide. I just think they take to much of a beating. The STS looks good.

If you're not mounting it on the slide, why not go with a regular C-More? The field of view is much larger, which translates into being able to find the dot faster on the draw.

To big I shot a guys gun that had a less costly Nstar I think, mounted this way, anyway I like the way it felt and pointed.

I like the Trijicon alot, i have had mine over year with several area matches plus local stuff and about 10,000 rounds. Still running like a top and on the same batteries! P.S. it took a hell of a ride out of my holster in a hotel room on the tile floor with no damage. The STS is nice looking and feeling just wish it was lower. I did have a regular C-more for 5 years on this gun, I will not go back.

post-3391-126541900418_thumb.jpg

According to the folks at Trijicon when I discussed the matter with them, whether you call it the Tasco Optima or the JPoint or the Trijicon RedDot, they're all made by the same OEM manufacturer. So, in that regard, six of one, half a dozen of the other. It's the same sight. Literally.

mrmetalweld57, do you have any photos? I didn't see any on leupolds.com.

Sorry, no photos. I don't guess they'll put them on their website till they actually release them the end of this month. The base is the same size as all the rest of the micro dots, but the screen sticks out past the sides slightly, to make a decent size oval.

I like the Trijicon alot, i have had mine over year with several area matches plus local stuff and about 10,000 rounds. Still running like a top and on the same batteries! P.S. it took a hell of a ride out of my holster in a hotel room on the tile floor with no damage. The STS is nice looking and feeling just wish it was lower. I did have a regular C-more for 5 years on this gun, I will not go back.

post-3391-126541900418_thumb.jpg

Come on guys, that don't look so much cooler then a big C-more or other big sight?

I found the JPoint to be pretty rugged when I used it slide-mounted on an open Glock. I have used a Dr Sight on a frame mount and found it to be a solid sight.

I have been playing with a new configuration using a Nikko-Stirling mini red-dot. The sight is similar to the other mini red-dots, but has a permanent weaver base. This would be a disadvantage for a frame mounting in an upright configuration. I came up with an adaptor that makes is very nice for side-mounting using a Cheely mount. You get 3 options for sight location (pix show the farthest back location). The most forward location allows you to access the battery tray without removing the sight from the mount. Weight is slightly less than a C-more on the same mount. I am working on removing some of the metal from the adaptor which should get about 1/2-1 oz of weight reduction. The setup is very compact and eliminates the thumb clearance issues that righties have with side-mounted C-mores.

I have not shot it in a match, but it works as well as a C-more in practice. I did change to 2x2016 batteries instead of a 2032 to increase dot brightness.

post-12164-126583902592_thumb.jpg

post-12164-126583903757_thumb.jpg

post-12164-126583905231_thumb.jpg

Edited by matt2ace

Wait till you see Leupolds new little dot. Screens about 30 percent wider, same height. Won't be released till the end of this month.

I was a little disappointed with Leupold's new mini. The dot (triangle) seemed huge and blurry. They advertise as 3.5 and 7 MOA, but the demo models I looked at were much larger than that. I liked it when I shot one of the prototypes last spring but the models at SHOT were not as impressive. Not sure what happened.

For the poster looking for info on them, google Leupold Deltapoint and you'll find lots of info.

I found the JPoint to be pretty rugged when I used it slide-mounted on an open Glock. I have used a Dr Sight on a frame mount and found it to be a solid sight.

I have been playing with a new configuration using a Nikko-Stirling mini red-dot. The sight is similar to the other mini red-dots, but has a permanent weaver base. This would be a disadvantage for a frame mounting in an upright configuration. I came up with an adaptor that makes is very nice for side-mounting using a Cheely mount. You get 3 options for sight location (pix show the farthest back location). The most forward location allows you to access the battery tray without removing the sight from the mount. Weight is slightly less than a C-more on the same mount. I am working on removing some of the metal from the adaptor which should get about 1/2-1 oz of weight reduction. The setup is very compact and eliminates the thumb clearance issues that righties have with side-mounted C-mores.

I have not shot it in a match, but it works as well as a C-more in practice. I did change to 2x2016 batteries instead of a 2032 to increase dot brightness.

If you don't mind me asking why, do you mount them sideways?

Side mounting places the sight much closer to the barrel. Less parallax so you don't have any real offset between dot location and point of impact on close targets. I also find it faster to acquire the dot on the draw.

I agree with Chris. The very idea of "mini" is just backward. I'm sorry, but the thought of it dumbfounds me.

Would you rather look through a pipe or a straw?

Vision drives our shooting. Design should strive for the most field of view we can possible get away with.