Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Propel

Propel is made by the same company as Gatorade, and is by far much better for holding your body up under high heat shooting. During the summers I work with asphalt and it is the only thing I will drink other than water. Propel has much less sugar and actually has vitamins/nutrients your body needs under stress. Tasts much better than Gatorade too. This is a hard proven lesson next to 450 degree asphalt in 105 degree St. Louis summers... Check it out.

KS

This guy is absolutly right! I have been using this stuff in the West Texas heat by switching off 1 propel to 1-2 waters and I don't get cramps or other signs of preliminary heatstroke even when training hard. This stuff won't screw up your gut by causing cramps like gatorade will after being consumed after you are partially dehydrated, and no headaches either. This has been my experience. Good Stuff!!!

I'll have to try that.

May I suggest two others. The first is GU H2O - made by the same folks who make GU energy gel. Good balance of carbs and electrolytes and tastes awesome. The second is Accellerade - this is made by the same folks who make Endurox R4 (which is the best workout recovery drink I've tried). The taste isn't so great (but is made better by a splash of fruit juice), but it has a bit of protein.

Or . . . eat some fruit or nuts for breakfast (or even the day before) and then drink God's brand of fluid replacement beverage . . . good ol' H2O.

Methinks the "electrolyte replacement" properties of such beverages is highly overrated (with respect to the actual need for it) for healthy people with reasonably balanced diets.

But I could be wrong. :)

In the days when I used to do bicycle racing, energy drink mixes such as Cytomax and Accelerate were defacto standards since your body needs electrolytes replacement much more rapidly. Now since I'm just out playing, the sweat factor isn't much but still need electrolytes replacement, and Gatorade works just fine. The cramping problem that someone mentioned before is caused by your body already in the dehydrated mode and it will not take any fluid, let alone thick stuff like gatorade. The key - drink all the time (water and/or energy drink, not the 'heavy/fire water' stuff, save that for later :D .)

GU is a great PickMeUp. I carry a few in my range bag just in case the blood sugar decides to take a dump.

• 2 weeks later...

let me start by saying I work in Medicine mostly with children, who can become dehydrated easily when they are ill. I think I am pretty knowldgeable on the human body from a physiologic stand point and what it takes to rehydrate a person.

First you need to understand there is a difference between maintaining hydration and rehydrating. If a person is not dehydrated you do not need as many electrolytes and your body can tolerate some extra carbs(sugar).

If you are dehydrated you need the right balance of electrolytes for the fluid to to enter the blood stream without causing side effects. Pedialyte is one of the very few solutions to have this perfect balance.

Propel and gatorade and most other Sport drinks are not used for rehydation, they are only used to keep yourself hydrated.

If you are trying to rehydrate yourself the BEST solution is pedialyte. It is actually designed to rehydrate a person that is dehydrated.

danial97,

Thanks for the info! What does pedialyte taste like? Will it keep in a range bag? Does it have to be refridgerated? How often and how much should an adult who is dehydrated consume? Are you aware of, or could possibly foresee, any side effects (such as cramps, bloating, excessive urination, ect.) from consuming pedialyte? Do I have to whine, cry and crap in diapers like a baby for it to work? (no comments Kelly!) Thanks again!

Guy

Jeese Guy! are you a lawyer or something? It does keep in a range bag, the grape is about the best although "bubble gum" is right up there too! Refrigerated is best, or so my kids seem to think, and it makes a great Icey in the kids Icey machine. So just throw that old Icey maker in the range bag along with your favorite brand and away you go!! Will we see you at Mesa? KURT

danial97,

Thanks for the info! What does pedialyte taste like?

Not real good this is why most people use try to keep themselves hydrated by using the much better tasting sports drinks.

Will it keep in a range bag? Does it have to be refridgerated?

It keeps on Wallys sheves for a long time, but tastes better refridgerated or frozen as someone else mentioned.

How often and how much should an adult who is dehydrated consume?

the text book answer: 50-200 ml per kilogram of body weight over 24 hours.

real world answer: drink until you are not thirsty.

Are you aware of, or could possibly foresee, any side effects (such as cramps, bloating, excessive urination, ect.) from consuming pedialyte?

No, this is why we use pedialyte. If you drink way too much you will just water the weeds a little more often.

Do I have to whine, cry and crap in diapers like a baby for it to work? (no comments Kelly!)

If you feel like it makes you shoot better. Go for it. Just watch the front sight.

Thanks again!

Guy

No problem, Thats why we are all here to share a little and gain a little.

Is Propel available in powder form?

I have tried Pedialyte (the cherry or whatever "red" is supposed to taste like) and could only barely get it down. And this from someone that actually likes the taste of Gatorade (but only when mixed at 50% strength).

Acutally Erik according to the World Health Org there is no reason to rehydrate a person by IV. Here in the US we us IVs in the Hospital for dehydration because we can't charge an insurance company to sit there a give someone a glass of pedialyte.

I never said the stuff tasted good. :) My point is you should keep yourself hydrated using sports drinks and any one will do. I personally Drink gatorade cause I like the taste.

When I did the 300-mile multi-day Ride the Rockies bicyclke ride a few years back, I was one the road at 6AM for a 90-mile day. I see this big hand-lettered sign...FREE HOMEBREWED SAKE. I mean, how could I pass that by? Good lord, but it was a looooooong day on the bicycle!

Two years ago, I used Propel for the Cross-Florida Ride, 170 some-odd miles in a day in the heat. Worked great. Better than Gatoraide, which I tend to hurl under high heat and exertion...bet that's more than you wanted to know!

One other cavaet on Gatoraide...when I ran the NYC Marathon, late in the event I run (well, jog slowly) past a water stop, grab a cup of Gatoraide to drink in one hand and a cup of water to pour over my head in the other. Guess what happened? There's nothing quite like the feel of congealing orange Gatoraide on your face...

Michael B

New SHOOTING GALLERY, Sunday 10:30PM Eastern, The Outdoor Channel

Two years ago, I used Propel for the Cross-Florida Ride, 170 some-odd miles in a day in the heat.

Is that ride still going on? Start on the east coast and end on the west. Man what a long day of riding. I did it in 89. The heat in the central part of Florida will make you wacko. I stopped after about 5 hours and decided to chug a big gulp of coke. Huge mistake!!! My blood sugar went wild. Felt great... then like crap...felt great....then like crap. Hypoglyemic? crash was what a friend called it. I finished the ride but learned never drink high sugar drinks while exerting alot of energy.

I never had good luck with Gatoraid. Makes my stomach cramp. I like Poweraid a little better, easy to get. I think any of the drinks used for most endurance sports will work. I believe it comes down to personal taste.

For shooting I tend to like the half-strength gatorade and water mix.

When I was diving a lot, the half-strength white grape juice was good, too. Even at 1/3 strength, the grape juice was quite refreshing. It cut the salt taste and the water was great for rehydrating. Haven't tried it for shooting yet, but I might. However, it might still be a bit to much sugar.

Liota

I think you all have the right answer. If you keep youself hydrated drink whatever you like to KEEP youself that way.

For you AZ people who like it hot and fast and don't slow down to keep up with your hydration, the best drink is pedialyte to rehydrate with, it won't cramp up your stomache like the high sugar drinks (gatorade or worse sodas).

just keep some pedialyte in you car cooler just in case, and keep whatever you chose in your range bags.

[broken Record Mode ON]

If you're going to use that GU / Goo stuff that comes in the tube, make sure you try it out a couple times before you're at a match or doing anything else important. A guy gave me a tube of that crap before swim practice one night and I damned near drowned. My blood sugar did a total crash and burn.

They ought to rename that goo "Instant Bonk."

[/bRM]

P.S.

This will really whip up a firestorm, but the best recovery drink I've ever had was.................................................Coca Cola. No I'm not kidding. It's a little ski patrol secret apparently. I was involved in a mountaineering accident a while back and had to walk down Mt. Hood 3000 feet in the midday heat with zero water or food. By the time I got into the lodge, I was totally wasted. Water helped. Finally the medic convinced me to drink a small glass of Coke. It was like a miracle cure. He just said, "Yup, works every time..."

How's that for a non-technical solution? :P

I use Coca-Cola as an after-event drink. The caffeine/sugar combo really helps me. Plus, for me at least, Coke settles my stomach (my grandfather, who was a pharamcist back in the Old Days, used to give little bottles of Coke syrup for upset tummies in kids).

When I came off McKinley in '95, I spent about hours in the shower at the climbers' hostel (unlimited hot water!!!), then went to the diner in Talkeetna and ordered four green salads and a six-pack of Coke. Great meal!

Michael B

I'm going to have to try this Propel stuff. Back in The Days, the Sunday class with Mr. Shim was required if you expected to advance in rank. It was scheduled for two hours, often went four, was ferociously paced, and if you couldn't keep up you were expected to crawl off into a corner and die peacefully. I found a large Coke and a large pizza replenished my system nicely. Then again, I was all of 20 years old, too.