Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open gun no red dot

usmc1974

There was an article in Front Sight a year or so ago about a guy (Dan Banta I think was the name) who shot open with NO sights :surprise: That must be something to see.........

Matt

I have seen Uncle Dan getting alphas on 35 yard targets. I heard that every RO at the last nationals asked him if hen knew his dot was missing :roflol:

ETA: Almost forgot: it's open Division! Class is for people, division is for equipment.

Edited by ChuckS

actually quite a few do, I dont think they originally sign up to shoot open, but Production shooter + 1 extra round equals "welcome to open"

Or with a small piece of skateboard tape in the wrong spot. Just ask thegirl.

Any equipment violation in any division puts you in Open.

I pulled the Dot off my gun at a match once to make a point about how ridiculously close and easy the shots were, almost all were full targets within 5m, and the hardest shot was a 10m Popper!

One of the last Nationals I saw Jerry Barnhart shoot (2000?) he had Bomars on his Open gun.

Some times 2000 seems like it. When I started back even before, ancient history, if you had a set of bomars a wilson single port comp you was open. Now if you had 8/9 round mags you where hi cap open. :blink::P I am going to try a little ancient history this year. It might be fun. :rolleyes:

Or with a small piece of skateboard tape in the wrong spot. Just ask thegirl.

No, she shot Limited, not Open.... :rolleyes:

Any equipment violation in any division puts you in Open.

Unless you're shoot the Limited/Production Nationals and the Range Master doesn't follow the rulebook.... ph34r.gif

scopes have come a loooong way since the late 80's when they first came out, they were expensive and didnt hold up to the pounding our 38 supers can put out, one friend of mine ran a dot on his singlestack, had the one on the gun, a spare in the bag if the primary crapped out, had one going back tothe factoryto be fixed, and one coming back from factory fixed...all at around 250 bucks per...me??? i went hi-cap first, ran it with iron sights for a while, till sights/mounting systems improved

I think in the ancient days the guns were allot cheaper

Not really. I remember reading an AH article in 91 or 92 about a full-house Heinie single stack, which many considered the holy grail at that point, and the price was right around $4000.

When I got my first Open gun I went with a clean, used model. If I had gone new it would have been $2,500 (no scope/mount) so that's not far off what guns are going for now. Corrected for inflation they may have even been slightly more expensive. R,

Yea its weird how 20 years of inflation and raw material prices increase, but a Open gun is still $2500-3500 give or take a little. Relatively guns are a lot cheaper today. That's cause we now buy mass made parts instead of one off prototypes.

As too shooting Open without a dot? Go for it. Show your manhood and do it in .45, no comp, no magwell, SS. :ph34r:

Yea its weird how 20 years of inflation and raw material prices increase, but a Open gun is still $2500-3500 give or take a little. Relatively guns are a lot cheaper today. That's cause we now buy mass made parts instead of one off prototypes.

Always wondered........how many man-hours does a very experienced (with 2011's) smith put into a full custom open pistol build from start?

Just your basic 5 inch gun with comp, optic, etc and no barrel holes.

BB

Always wondered........how many man-hours does a very experienced (with 2011's) smith put into a full custom open pistol build from start?

Just your basic 5 inch gun with comp, optic, etc and no barrel holes.

Excluding situations where something unusual happens, and time for finish etc, from talking to a couple of smiths I gather that some guys are building a complete gun in one full 8-10 hour workday. Of course they'll still have to test fire, tweak, etc. That's someone that does one after the other and doesn't have to look stuff up, or check measurements because they know them off the top of their head. I've heard one very good gunsmith say he averaged more like 30 hours, but his work was a bit fancier (tricky mill work etc). R,

BB

As too shooting Open without a dot? Go for it. Show your manhood and do it in .45, no comp, no magwell, SS. :ph34r:

Hell we do it all the time, it's called limited division. You know you compare your scored to Open :rolleyes::roflol::sight:

• 2 weeks later...

I think in the ancient days the guns were allot cheaper

Not really. I remember reading an AH article in 91 or 92 about a full-house Heinie single stack, which many considered the holy grail at that point, and the price was right around $4000.

When I got my first Open gun I went with a clean, used model. If I had gone new it would have been $2,500 (no scope/mount) so that's not far off what guns are going for now. Corrected for inflation they may have even been slightly more expensive. R,

I got my first open gun from Jack Hunt out of Wichita Kansas about 1987 it was a Colt 45 acp goverment model with wilson comp (single port was about all there was then)Bo.mar adjustable sights big sight on the comp. 7-8 round mags 900 bucks.Thought I had it made. :roflol:

(s3B OPEN DIVISION MATCH RESULTS(s0B

Printed Thursday September 21st 2000 at 21:54 hours

MATCH COMPETITOR

PERCENT POINTS # NAME TEAM C D L TAG USPSA #

1 100.00 1793.9721 173 Linwood Jarrett USA D FY4792

2 95.87 1719.9186 40 Henning Wallgren G TY25335

3 94.84 1701.4748 143 Max Michel Jr. USA G A26022

4 94.67 1698.2884 114 Jerry Barnhart USA G L1107

5 93.33 1674.2347 142 Angus Hobdell G A41788

This is from the 2000 nats/Pan Am

I remember people talking that he was using iron sights because his contract was up with Bushnell for their holosight.

I would say that he did pretty well without a dot and may have been better if he had even thrown on an old tasco like he use to use.