Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Aluminum Grips - CRACKED

Speedmonger

I guess a lot of people are reading this thread, but not listening or understanding it. WHY would you buy the STI Alu. grip when you KNOW it's going to break/fail???!!! I'm lost on this one.

But while were on it, If anyone wants to buy some cracked STI grips, worn out barrels, or cracked slides please PM me, I have a good assortment to choose from. I have some broken/cracked mags too if you are interested. Just pm me.

And , AGAIN, if you want a metal grip that doesn't break, set an SVI/Infinity grip....

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess a lot of people are reading this thread, but not listening or understanding it. WHY would you buy the STI Alu. grip when you KNOW it's going to break/fail???!!! I'm lost on this one.

But while were on it, If anyone wants to buy some cracked STI grips, worn out barrels, or cracked slides please PM me, I have a good assortment to choose from. I have some broken/cracked mags too if you are interested. Just pm me.

And , AGAIN, if you want a metal grip that doesn't break, set an SVI/Infinity grip....

I wanted to see if a grip, properly fit, would still crack.... Also, I didn't spend a lot on it.

We can do without the snide attitude and sarcasm. :o

Edited by JThompson

Sorry you took it the wrong way but there was no attitude involed. I'm actually perplexed at this thread. And my post wasn't pointed at you, it's reflecting 4 pages on this thread with people still writing that they want to give one a try, even with all the issues.

As for the sarcasm, I didn't think it was that bad considering people are still buying a product that fails continuously with knowledge of the failures. It just seems odd that this is the case.

bill d: we are gunners! We want to try and make NEW things work!

At some point in time someone WILL get it-the grips right- just a

matter of time.

And yes SV does an out standing job at their guns/products. As I

have a SV built Limited gun! BUT last time I checked with SV the

all SS grip was in the area of $450.00 to $500.00! Not the $250.00

to $300.00 price range of the STI aluminum grip!

So people just cant afford the price of the SV product- so they are

more than willing to try something that is new, and make it work.

I for one will try the STI grip- but will have a gun smith fit it

for me. :sight:

Time to lock?

Why lock? I didn't spend any money on my grip. Won it. Might as well fit it. The issue is fitment. Does the grip still crack if PROPERLY fit. The MS housing holes will need to be cleaned up, yep. The grip has to be fit, yep. It's a GUNSMITH fit part, yep.

When SV decides to let theirs go for $250 I'll try one. They look nice, but not $500 nice. If my perplexing STI grip fails, I get a new one for free.

Once you have looked at both side by side you will understand why the SV grip costs more and why it will out last the STI. STI rushed to get a metal grip frame out to the market place, SV spent money and time(years) before they released one.

I don't see why anyone would want an alum. grip to begin with, they don't weigh enough and alum. isn't durable enough for the application. Just look at an alum. mag well after it has been used, that is what the grip will look like. You can only sand and polish it down so many times before it won't be useful. Look at how so many break a polymer grip and then one expects an alum. one to last longer.

Carbon or stainless steel is the way to go.

Rich

Why lock? I didn't spend any money on my grip. Won it. Might as well fit it. The issue is fitment. Does the grip still crack if PROPERLY fit. The MS housing holes will need to be cleaned up, yep. The grip has to be fit, yep. It's a GUNSMITH fit part, yep.

When SV decides to let theirs go for $250 I'll try one. They look nice, but not $500 nice. If my perplexing STI grip fails, I get a new one for free.

"Does the grip still crack if PROPERLY fit." The answer is yes. And as RIIID wrote, the issue is it isn't durable enough for the appliaction. This has nothing to do with trying something new. I'm writing about it being inferior in current design.

want2race - You are correct, they will keep giving you free grips if they break, but after going through about 8 of them I decieded it really wasn't worth time or money to keep replacing them. I'd rather focus on practice. Good luck, I hope yours holds up.

Edited by bill d

• 3 weeks later...

my 2 cents from the other side of the world.

I went the STI slim grip for 2 reason:

1) I prefer a slim grip (i actually would rather shoot a single stack than a 2011 but try to get 10 rounds of .357Sig in a single stack mag and have it fit in the box!)

2) I am one of those mad buggers that actually enjoys some experimentation and "tuning" to get things just right

I ordered the Slim STI grip before the whole "they crack" thing became the topic of this thread but, was commited to it (financially) so went ahead. Now I am a tool maker by trade in a past life and I have had years of experiance fitting things to other things CORRECTLY.

I followed the thoughts on this thread re the frame keys and fitted the grip to the frame. this is what i observed:

The grip needs to be fitted as detailed elsewhere (those that have done it, know what to do so I wont bore you)

The mainspring housing Pin was not cast/machined true to the hole in either my STI or (older design) SVI magwells...some filing with a needle file corrected.

My STI mags did not fit correctly (drop free) - some 600 wet and dry and a steel ruler + 3/8 dowel corrected

My RESCOMP hi-cap tube will not fit (EVER). This is because the radius at the rear of the grip opening for the mag will not allow the smaller radius of the tube to fit without removing a high ammount of aluminium from inside the grip.

The things feels much better in my hand, has a better feel in recoil and looks ace...

The last line was why I was so pissed off, when after all my efforts and about 5000 rounds...you guessed it "CRACK"

STI is sending me a new one (happy with the service), but i feel from experiance that where the crack starts (mine is the same as the others in the thread), STI will not be able to address unless they redesign the thing.

They are very good to use though. My intention is to fit the replacement BUT always carry a spare polymer one that is prefitted as a "drop in" for emergency

Sorry you took it the wrong way but there was no attitude involed. I'm actually perplexed at this thread. And my post wasn't pointed at you, it's reflecting 4 pages on this thread with people still writing that they want to give one a try, even with all the issues.

As for the sarcasm, I didn't think it was that bad considering people are still buying a product that fails continuously with knowledge of the failures. It just seems odd that this is the case.

Bill, your not the only one thats perplexed over the continued demand for these.

• 2 weeks later...

I put the aluminum grip on my LTD gun and have shot it all season with no cracks. I didn't need to fit anything to get it on my frame though. I had to sand it a little to get the mag well on it.

I do, however, wish they would make a steel version...I'm a weight junkie....

Not going to happen....these are in the CNC for 1+ hours, come with MSH, trigger bow, and mag release which are also billet items. Not comparable to the STI Alum grip as they are in a different league.

Lee

• 2 years later...