Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Redhawk .357 8-shot in USPSA

MemphisMechanic

Bottomfeeder here, whose girlfriend has a wheelgun fetish:

She’s looking at a redhawk 8-shot .357 as a home defense gun. It looks like they come precut for moonclips, which is nifty.

Assuming we’re loading .38 to 130pf, is it legal to use this gun in USPSA Revo minor? 

Obviously the 929 is the go-to gun for that, but she wants to be able to build familiarity with the gun. Not chase match wins. So if it isn’t legal, I suppose she’s always welcome to play with it in Open. ;) 

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, mwx40x40 said:

Now that Dave O is shooting for Ruger,I’ll be curious to see what he can do with Redhawk. His S&W action work is awesome.

Is he shooting a Redhawk? Looks like a 5 or 6" tube. (friend videoed a stage at the Nats) Wonder where'd he get that? Have not heard or seen any info on his Ruger guns...

2 minutes ago, Dr. Phil said:

Is he shooting a Redhawk? Looks like a 5 or 6" tube. (friend videoed a stage at the Nats) Wonder where'd he get that? Have not heard or seen any info on his Ruger guns...

Not sure, just thought he was part of the new Ruger Shooting Team led by Doug Koenig, so assumed he would be running new 8 shot Redhawk.

Yep. They are his sponsor. But, I thought the Redhawk 357 was only available in the 2 1/2" bbl? Are they making a longer version now?

He told a friend of mine that he is having a hard time getting the triggers where he wants them - or something to that effect. Never did care for their dbl action triggers myself. At least since S&W spoiled me...

Just curious.

7 hours ago, Dr. Phil said:

Yep. They are his sponsor. But, I thought the Redhawk 357 was only available in the 2 1/2" bbl? Are they making a longer version now?

He told a friend of mine that he is having a hard time getting the triggers where he wants them - or something to that effect. Never did care for their dbl action triggers myself. At least since S&W spoiled me...

Just curious.

Yes, they have been making longer barrels for quite some time now.

7 hours ago, PatJones said:

Can you get a Ruger below 7 lbs da? They smooth up nice in a carry sort of way but I'm not sure they tune up that low.

In my experience the Redhawk is not reliable under 7-8# even with federal primers.  The single spring design is the limiting factor.  That is also with factory parts though. 

You can get a 6-6.5# trigger out of the GP and SRH guns with federal primers and factory parts.  The two spring design is much more flexible.  I've never tried to lighten hammers or use extended firing pins in a Ruger, so there may be some more room if you did.