Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rules, Rulings, Clarifications & Opinions?

StealthyBlagga

3 hours ago, Sarge said:

But that doesn’t work at 99.99% of the matches

Well, since polling the audience is probably not a good option at a match, you an always call a friend.  I once called one of the RMIs on an issue at a Lvl 1 to double check my decision.  

6 minutes ago, 2MoreChains said:

Well, since polling the audience is probably not a good option at a match, you an always call a friend.  I once called one of the RMIs on an issue at a Lvl 1 to double check my decision.  

I think the point was Troy wrote the email and he was the RM at the match.

And FWIW, RMI’s can vary widely on their instruction and opinions.

The PDF version of the rule book should be updated immediately when rulings are made and there should be an appropriately sized PDF of rulings available(both past and future) for printing out and sticking in the current hard copy of the rule book in the appropriate section. It 2018 FFS, get it done.  

I agree that we should have the rule book or ruling updated in a timely manner.

Have any of you written government statutes?

How about government policy and procedure manuals?

How about interrupting them for Fortune 500 Companies or Government agencies?

I had a good boss who once said, I understand what your are trying to communicate but now lets review it on how it can be miss-interrupted.  The wordsmith exercise was time consuming and needing a second, third, and fourth set of eyes. 

Based on those experiences I am probably a tad bit more tolerant with updating the rule book.  Remember the rule book can not possibly cover ever situation.  Good judgement and reasonable thoughtful interruption is paramount.

Perhaps later I will give an example where the email for someone representing the NORI would have been important.

Regards

5 minutes ago, pjb45 said:

I agree that we should have the rule book or ruling updated in a timely manner.

Have any of you written government statutes?

How about government policy and procedure manuals?

How about interrupting them for Fortune 500 Companies or Government agencies?

I had a good boss who once said, I understand what your are trying to communicate but now lets review it on how it can be miss-interrupted.  The wordsmith exercise was time consuming and needing a second, third, and fourth set of eyes. 

Based on those experiences I am probably a tad bit more tolerant with updating the rule book.  Remember the rule book can not possibly cover ever situation.  Good judgement and reasonable thoughtful interruption is paramount.

Perhaps later I will give an example where the email for someone representing the NORI would have been important.

Regards

I get that, but shouldn't official rulings/clarifications that are already published be all set to hit the book? They are already "official" after all.  Why is not a matter of copy/paste in this situation? 

I like the idea of a small 2 or 3 ring binder rulebook, then you could buy or print the first one and then when updates were available, simply print and replace the effected pages.  In theory updates would be readily available and easy to find on the website

3 minutes ago, RJH said:

I like the idea of a small 2 or 3 ring binder rulebook, then you could buy or print the first one and then when updates were available, simply print and replace the effected pages.  In theory updates would be readily available and easy to find on the website

Thats kinda what I was thinking 

Why print ?
Just about every club in USA is using Practi-score on a tablet that has built in e-book software, so the latest rule book is already in the hands of the RO/scorekeeper…

Yes just about every but not all. There is still around two dozen clubs still using paper so it’s not right to force them to spend money on new technology

9 hours ago, OPENB said:

So how will you hard liners rule on a CZ shooter that shows up on your stage with a Cajun Race Hammer? Rule book clearly says after market hammers are illegal, but we all know what Troy has said. I'm not arguing whether Troy was right or wrong, we all have made up our minds on that, just curious what your call will be, and why?

That is an official published ruling, vetted by the BOD (I assume). I don't agree with it because it does fly in the face of the rulebook, but it's gospel now

https://uspsa.org/nroi/rulings

29 minutes ago, BritinUSA said:

Why print ?

Just about every club in USA is using Practi-score on a tablet that has built in e-book software, so the latest rule book is already in the hands of the RO/scorekeeper…

Its way cheaper to throw a book at an RO than it is the scoring equipment? ;) 

1 hour ago, BritinUSA said:

Why print ?

I prefer print, but having the rulebook on practiscore would be great too

Posting in this forum about what you want from USPSA or NROI isn't going to amount to any proactive change. If you want NROI or USPSA to deploy any changes you need to take it up with them directly.

Send them your requests and don't hold your breath while you wait for them to get deployed.

1 minute ago, CHA-LEE said:

Posting in this forum about what you want from USPSA or NROI isn't going to amount to any proactive change. If you want NROI or USPSA to deploy any changes you need to take it up with them directly.

Send them your requests and don't hold your breath while you wait for them to get deployed.

Already done

On 1/21/2018 at 11:24 AM, Sarge said:

It’s never that easy. I used to make the argument that his opinions don’t amount to a hill of beans but always got corrected by everybody from Internet RM’s to folks from USPSA HQ. There are countless shooters in this game who on the advice of DNROI are using gear or doing something that that goes against the book

Troy can't change the rules by issuing an e-mail, an e-mail from Troy is just his opinion.

46 minutes ago, bret said:

Troy can't change the rules by issuing an e-mail, an e-mail from Troy is just his opinion.

My instructor answered a question differently than Troy answered it later to another person.

When I asked my instructor about it he said that Troy had the final say on any issues of interpretation. Makes sense to me, some person or body needs to have the final say. 

Just now, IHAVEGAS said:

My instructor answered a question differently than Troy answered it later to another person.

When I asked my instructor about it he said that Troy had the final say on any issues of interpretation. Makes sense to me, some person or body needs to have the final say. 

there is a process that must be followed for Troy to make rulings, if it does not follow the proper process for a ruling, it is just his opinion.

Someone does have to have the final say on interpretation but it must follow the rules.