Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10# PD hammer spring?

ngodwetrust21

Yes. The Lim Pro I have listed in classifieds I have been using a 10lb PD hammer spring.

However it would not run with the 10lb hammer spring and the PD bolo. Have to up it to 12 if using a bolo. At least for my guns.

10lb with factory disconnecter made mine around 4.5lbs DA and sub 2lbs SA. So much lighter than necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, kujo929 said:

Yes. The Lim Pro I have listed in classifieds I have been using a 10lb PD hammer spring.

However it would not run with the 10lb hammer spring and the PD bolo. Have to up it to 12 if using a bolo. At least for my guns.

10lb with factory disconnecter made mine around 4.5lbs DA and sub 2lbs SA. So much lighter than necessary.

Thank you sir! I’ll try out the 12# for the match gun since I have the bolo. 

I run 10# in two guns with 100% success, using Win primers. Two things need to happen:

1. Tune your bolo for longer DA stroke by removing material from the nose. 

2. Your primers need to be .008-.010" deep. Preferably with an indentation mark.

The bolo is not preventing the use of a 10# spring - the tune/set-up is.

20161130_190712.jpg

Edited by SoCalShooter69

5 minutes ago, SoCalShooter69 said:

I run 10# in two guns with 100% success, using Win primers. Two things need to happen:

1. Tune your bolo for longer DA stroke by removing material from the nose. 

2. Your primers need to be .008-.010" deep. Preferably with an indentation mark.

The bolo is not preventing the use of a 10# spring - the tune/set-up is.

20161130_190712.jpg

This man knows......

I ran the PD 10# hammer spring for about 1000 rounds. I was 100% with Federals, Winchester  AND BOLO.

But it was too light.  i was getting 3# 10oz DA and 15 oz SA.   Trust me on this.... 15 oz SA is too light !! With the near zero trigger motion of the bolo ... it was spooky light.

24 minutes ago, johnbu said:

I ran the PD 10# hammer spring for about 1000 rounds. I was 100% with Federals, Winchester  AND BOLO.

But it was too light.  i was getting 3# 10oz DA and 15 oz SA.   Trust me on this.... 15 oz SA is too light !! With the near zero trigger motion of the bolo ... it was spooky light.

Great info. Thanks for this. Keeping the match gun around a 5lb DA and 2lb SA is plenty good enough for me!

I run a 15.5 PD hammer spring with a well broken in and polished Stock ll. It has a sub 6 pound DA and very sub 2 pound SA. Hits properly seated Winchester, S&B, Fiocchi and of course Federal primers. I ran the 14 pound spring but had some light strikes at bad times. I'm sure it was primer seating problems. I went to the 15.5 to make things easier.

My current problem is seating primers too deep. Turns out .014" is crushed too much and will not fire. Now to get the right feel.

2 hours ago, zombywoof said:

I run a 15.5 PD hammer spring with a well broken in and polished Stock ll. It has a sub 6 pound DA and very sub 2 pound SA. Hits properly seated Winchester, S&B, Fiocchi and of course Federal primers. I ran the 14 pound spring but had some light strikes at bad times. I'm sure it was primer seating problems. I went to the 15.5 to make things easier.

My current problem is seating primers too deep. Turns out .014" is crushed too much and will not fire. Now to get the right feel.

Sort your brass by headstamp.

2 hours ago, ngodwetrust21 said:

I have a 550. Don’t know how I could adjust primer seating. Afraid I will have to stick to a good polish job and springs.

@memphismechanic

Edited by SoCalShooter69

On 11/25/2017 at 7:42 PM, zombywoof said:

Anything over 0.010 deep is boarderline crushed.  some brands have more fragile chemical mix than others. Wolf seems to go "not deep enough, not deep enough.... crushed!"  Winchester seems to be much more tolerant.

As "Socalshooter69" said, sort by headstamp and seat them all the same.

On 11/25/2017 at 10:07 PM, SoCalShooter69 said:

Sort your brass by headstamp.

Forget that noise. Add two pounds of hammer spring weight. Every GM running a Tanfo that I know of is running a 5-6+ pound trigger.

Put a 13,14, or 15 pounder in the gun and practice during all the time those B class kids spend chasing the perfect trigger and picking through their brass.

A 6.25 pound DA is really freaking shootable. Step away from the workbench and dryfire.

@memphismechanic

I’ve never touched a 550. Don’t know if you can shim the seating punch like the 650.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

4 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Forget that noise. Add two pounds of hammer spring weight. Every GM running a Tanfo that I know of is running a 5-6+ pound trigger.

Put a 13,14, or 15 pounder in the gun and practice during all the time those B class kids spend chasing the perfect trigger and picking through their brass.

A 6.25 pound DA is really freaking shootable. Step away from the workbench and dryfire.

I’ve never touched a 550. Don’t know if you can shim the seating punch like the 650.

Yea, I got the 650 so I didn't have to sort. Yea, I can seat primers to .014" with a 650 unmodified.

I run EGD Xtreme light and except russian primers it does it all... Without to much polishing (if that exists) I do handprime and crush them deep.... For matches I use federal just to be sure.

My PD 14 spring ignites also the russians... :-)

5 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Completely agree with this! I'm a shitty Master in Production and run a 13# with confidence shooting factory Federal ammo. 

5 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Yup , mine is 6 pound da and 2 pound sa. Plenty light if you ask me. 

1 hour ago, Nathanb said:

I’m in the same boat. 6/2 with a 13 lb spring. Unless I’m a dumbass with Winchester’s it lights everything. I’ve even tried some wolf 

I'm going to try some S&Bs. have about 5 K and see if I can light it. good practice primers. 

18 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

If I remember correctly, I ran across you saying to do this a while back and you had posted a picture of what you did. It was awhile ago, but I remember trying to do it and it wouldn’t work with a 550. Regardless, would you mind linking me to that again so I can give it one more go.

On 11/27/2017 at 11:47 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

This!  

4 hours ago, B_RAD said:

This!  

I know a couple GMs myself. I don’t believe at all that a 5 lb da trigger and 2lb sa trigger is going to take someone to the next level. The GMs I know have good enough trigger control that managing a 7lb da trigger and a 3lb sa trigger wouldn’t be a problem at all. This is precisely why I like to practice with a heavy trigger in both live fire and dry fire. However, given the option of using a 5lb da trigger/ 2lb sa trigger and a 7lb da trigger/ 3lb sa trigger for a match gun. I think the answer is obvious. If dropping the trigger pull doesn't matter, why do we even fool with all the polishing and swapping out springs at all? They seem to pop every primer I can think of straight out of the factory...

Edited by ngodwetrust21

As long as it pops every primer you need it to then trigger pull is preference only. Of course someone can be good with most anything but when you train you will likely find you prefer triggers in one pull Range more than others. Whether that is lighter or heavier is up to you.

38 minutes ago, ngodwetrust21 said:

I know a couple GMs myself. I don’t believe at all that a 5 lb da trigger and 2lb sa trigger is going to take someone to the next level. The GMs I know have good enough trigger control that managing a 7lb da trigger and a 3lb sa trigger wouldn’t be a problem at all. This is precisely why I like to practice with a heavy trigger in both live fire and dry fire. However, given the option of using a 5lb da trigger/ 2lb sa trigger and a 7lb da trigger/ 3lb sa trigger for a match gun. I think the answer is obvious. If dropping the trigger pull doesn't matter, why do we even fool with all the polishing and swapping out springs at all? They seem to pop every primer I can think of straight out of the factory...

Nobody is saying don't clean up and/or lighten. I'm just agreeing with @MemphisMechanic that a 10# hammer spring isn't worth it. Way too many problems vs any benefits.  

The time spent twiddling would be far more beneficial spent practicing.   

I've got a stock 2 that I'm borrowing from a friend that's got a 12# trigger (everything is stock) and I can dry fire it in DA all day long without disrupting the front sight. 

I actually think tanfos have the best DA pull/feel. For my taste at least. I shoot a CZ. I'm almost a GM. 

Edited by B_RAD