Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody use Prima V for .40?

Superpipe9

I grabbed a bunch of this for 9mm a while back, but also load 40 and haven't really gotten to mess with it yet.  I'd also be interested in any information people may be willing to provide on the topic.

1 hour ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

Is this the powder that is said to be the same as n320

No, I believe that is the Ba 9 1/2.  I think this one is closer to TG, but supposedly burns cooler and isn't as prone to pressure spikes from what I've read; Haven't gotten around to using it myself yet though.

29 minutes ago, fbzero said:

No, I believe that is the Ba 9 1/2.  I think this one is closer to TG, but supposedly burns cooler and isn't as prone to pressure spikes from what I've read; Haven't gotten around to using it myself yet though.

They have a local guy by me selling this stuff. Good prices also. May have to try some. Just don't know much about the brand. I think he's selling 1lb tubs 18 bucks. 

On 1/22/2017 at 0:38 PM, Dirtchevy841 said:

They have a local guy by me selling this stuff. Good prices also. May have to try some. Just don't know much about the brand. I think he's selling 1lb tubs 18 bucks. 

They're sold in 1.1lbs containers, little bit more bang for your buck. 

• 3 weeks later...

I tried Prima V in .40 major and it has a thumpy felt recoil. It reminds me of how Tight Group feels in .40 major.

Prima V works in .40 major but it's not optimal. I switched to Prima SV which burns faster than V and it is slightly softer shooting than WST without the temperature sensitivity and dirtiness. Prima SV is my new go to powder for .40 major.

Edited by CHA-LEE

i tested prima v in 40 and liked it alot. I can't tell the diff between it and Red Dot except it's cleaner. I haven't tested any of the other vectan powders tho. I'm using prima V for 9mm, and I don't shoot that much 40. I ordered 20 cans of it.

Edited by motosapiens

36 minutes ago, Husker95 said:

Charlie, does it only come in the 1.1 pound cans?  That seems like sort of a PITA.  Do you have to buy it by the pallet then?

The Nobel Sport powder seems to only be available in 1.1lb cans. The cost of it is about the same as other common powders when compared to 8lb jug prices so it really does not matter to me if I have to order a bunch of 1.1lb cans. In fact I just ordered 40 cans of the stuff to get me stocked up for the season.

8 hours ago, motosapiens said:

i tested prima v in 40 and liked it alot. I can't tell the diff between it and Red Dot except it's cleaner. I haven't tested any of the other vectan powders tho. I'm using prima V for 9mm, and I don't shoot that much 40. I ordered 20 cans of it.

If you don't mind, mind sharing your load data? I have some prima v and want to try some out in 40 major with 180gr plated for myself

10 hours ago, the_t0ny said:

If you don't mind, mind sharing your load data? I have some prima v and want to try some out in 40 major with 180gr plated for myself

from memory i'm pretty sure it's 4.5 grains with a 180 grain plated bullet at 1.13 OAL. That makes 167pf or so out of the tactical sport i just sold.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2017 at 9:24 AM, CHA-LEE said:

I tried Prima V in .40 major and it has a thumpy felt recoil. It reminds me of how Tight Group feels in .40 major.

Prima V works in .40 major but it's not optimal. I switched to Prima SV which burns faster than V and it is slightly softer shooting than WST without the temperature sensitivity and dirtiness. Prima SV is my new go to powder for .40 major.

Was this with 180gr or 200gr?

I like that SV has a similar burn rate to Clays w/o the spikiness.

I also started playing with Prima V but loading for minor. I found that my Tanfoglio Lim Pro likes 165g Blue Bullets under 3.5-3.6g of Prima V. Haven't chronod it yet but my brass is landing 4-5 ft away and recoil impulse is almost as soft as my competition 9mm load. Very happy with this setup. 

On 2/24/2017 at 8:49 PM, lksyotas said:

I also started playing with Prima V but loading for minor. I found that my Tanfoglio Lim Pro likes 165g Blue Bullets under 3.5-3.6g of Prima V. Haven't chronod it yet but my brass is landing 4-5 ft away and recoil impulse is almost as soft as my competition 9mm load. Very happy with this setup. 

Please post results after you chrono this load. May try and switch to this powder when my TG is gone. Using 165s also in my Stock 2. I like the snap and the availability of of   TG. 

On 2/26/2017 at 11:58 PM, bulm540 said:

Please post results after you chrono this load. May try and switch to this powder when my TG is gone. Using 165s also in my Stock 2. I like the snap and the availability of of   TG. 

Was able to hit the range today to chrono the 165 loads. 

Specs:

Tanfoglio Lim Pro 4.75" barrel in 40 S&W. with 10lb recoil spring. 

65 F Ambient temp. 

Load:

165g Blue Bullet, 3.5g Prima V, 1.145 COL, Federal 100 small pistol primers, range brass. All loaded on Single stage press but powder charges were thrown with my Dillon 650 (don't have 40 conversion kit yet.)

Chrono:

CED M2 standard screens. No need for infrared today. Fired pistol exactly 5' from start screen. 

Fired 10 rounds in succession with the following results.

Average: 808
Low:   783
High:  831

Power factor based on average : 133

The spread was more than I had anticipated but it is probably because this is on the low end of the charge spectrum based on the PF. So far, these loads "feel" softer than my 135g 9mm loads and accuracy is very good out to 25 yds. I think I've got a winner!

• 7 months later...