Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

yet another lube question?

biglou13

¿¿¿What is your opinion on running both.  grease and oil at same time (both mobil one)???

it's not about grease vs. oil  (they both work)  "cant we (they) all just get along?...."

I feel like running both...... all my guns feel smoother

i broke my shooting teeth with uncle sam,  and it was all about breakfree (back in the day...  think BDU's)

as a civilian used rem oil, mp7, rem dry lube, gun butter, frog lube,  basically tied and used whatever was around .....

ran mobil1 exclusively for a period

got a tube of slide glide (got lifted at the range) (loved it)

slide glide and gun butter were my favorites.

for a short time converted to become a "greaser" ended up with mobil one grease

recently got some more mobil one oil..... which leads to the question

I've read about  and tested grease alone and oil alone.....

i haven't found many opinions real life or virtual about going "both ways"

basically a light coat of grease in appropriate places.... wipe away any  excess, then tiny drops with precision oiler in all the appropriate places.

i also  realize how well lubed my gun rags, and gun rags around the world are......

I'm not running wet  nor dry but appropriate

being some what frugal i also revel in the idea that for about $15 dollars  i have enough "firearms" lube for 10 or more life times for me and 10 of my friends.  vs. $$$$$ on "gun/fire arm" marketed lubrication. 

13 minutes ago, biglou13 said:

¿¿¿What is your opinion on running both.  grease and oil at same time (both mobil one)???

it's not about grease vs. oil  (they both work)  "cant we (they) all just get along?...."

I feel like running both...... all my guns feel smoother

i broke my shooting teeth with uncle sam,  and it was all about breakfree (back in the day...  think BDU's)

as a civilian used rem oil, mp7, rem dry lube, gun butter, frog lube,  basically tied and used whatever was around .....

ran mobil1 exclusively for a period

got a tube of slide glide (got lifted at the range) (loved it)

slide glide and gun butter were my favorites.

for a short time converted to become a "greaser" ended up with mobil one grease

recently got some more mobil one oil..... which leads to the question

I've read about  and tested grease alone and oil alone.....

i haven't found many opinions real life or virtual about going "both ways"

basically a light coat of grease in appropriate places.... wipe away any  excess, then tiny drops with precision oiler in all the appropriate places.

i also  realize how well lubed my gun rags, and gun rags around the world are......

I'm not running wet  nor dry but appropriate

being some what frugal i also revel in the idea that for about $15 dollars  i have enough "firearms" lube for 10 or more life times for me and 10 of my friends.  vs. $$$$$ on "gun/fire arm" marketed lubrication. 

My opinion:

Oil used for automobile applications has a far tougher life than oil used for firearm applications.

Auto engines are far more precise machines when it comes to tolerances and far more stressful environments than a gun ever would be. Crankshaft bearing surfaces are usually .001" and they depend on oil pressure to keep them lubricated during use. Oils that can withstand the abuse of keeping these tight tolerances properly lubricated will have no trouble in a firearm application. 

As far as using both grease and oil, I'd do whatever you feel. I think oil alone is able to flush contaminants out of the gun better than grease, but grease does seem to make things smoother. Truth be told, I like using both. I am also a wet gun type of guy too. 

4 parts Mobil 1 0-20 full synthetic mixed with 1 part lucas oil stabilizer works fantastic on my guns, I use this combo on almost all gun parts except on my locking lugs, I use super grease (very high temp food grade) for that.

yep I use the following:

slide glide lite (it's the only weight of SG I use regardless of weather):

top locking lugs
where muzzle fits into bushing or slide (if bull barrel)
tiny little bit on the rails (lightly applied with small paint brush)
reverse plug
head of guiderod

oil (either some gun oil, or lately motor oil, currently motul 300V chrono, very nice oil)

sear and hammer contact areas
little bit on main spring and recoil spring
slide and frame rails and little bit on the centre/disconector rail

They seem to play well together. the above is on my 1911/2011's. on other guns it goes in different spots (my czs and tanfoglios get some down the side of the trigger bar where it rubs the frame and on trigger bar plunger head). 

I think oil and grease together is ok.

19 hours ago, Dr Mitch said:

http://lucasoil.com/products/gear-oil/synthetic-gear-oil/lucas-sae-75w-90-synthetic-gear-oil

I don't have lube-related malfunctions or wear problems.  Ever.

I also never have to lube between cleanings.  And I use this stuff on rifles, pistols, and shotguns.

I use this to lube my Mill, works great for that as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2016 at 11:43 PM, Dr Mitch said:

http://lucasoil.com/products/gear-oil/synthetic-gear-oil/lucas-sae-75w-90-synthetic-gear-oil

I don't have lube-related malfunctions or wear problems.  Ever.

I also never have to lube between cleanings.  And I use this stuff on rifles, pistols, and shotguns.

What kind of round count do you have your firearms with this? 

I dont think Id be able to stand the smell.

Not sure what you mean.  I'm going about 2000 rounds between cleanings, which is generally when the guns are gritty from dust in the air.  It is windy in Oklahoma and I only shoot outside.  The smell?  I guess it is a little more smelly than clean motor oil.  Who cares?

if you mean total rounds using this lube, about 60,000 across a small number of pistols, rifles, and shotguns.  The gun with the most rounds using this lube is my 2011 which I bought new and it has 35,000 rounds on it.  Still looks new under the hood.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Grease if not shooting/cleaning a great deal (e.g. EDC).  Oil for hi-round count/highly cleaned guns.  I don't want grime sticking to anything during a match and oil seems to be the best fit for this application.  

On 8/23/2016 at 8:02 PM, Nugget said:

I use slide glide all year around. If it's a cold day and a tight pistol I'll add a drop of oil in the rail slots.

FWIW - I've had Slide-Glide in my Florida garage for 4 years now with no problem.  For comparison, I had some Tetra Gun grease in my Florida garage which turned into thin oil within 6 months.  Apparently Tetra couldn't handle the heat.