Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What to do when youve stopped progressing

joedodge

Thanks for the replys everyone. I would say that i need to work on my transitions and keeping the gun up while moving and mounting the gun sooner. I feel pretty strong as far as my accuracy and fundamentals go I think i just need more expierence.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone i shot our match tonight i had a solid plan for every stage and turned up my focus and shot the match clean and strong dont know the results yet but it felt great the best in a while. It really helped turning everything off and just shooting not worried about anything. I like the writting down a plan and goals im deffinatly gonna do that.

Good work - and stick with that plan!

be

Thanks Brian and everyone I was 6 out of 23 and 2 out of 11 in production it was a good break through for me.

Thats fantastic.

There has been some great suggestions. Mine would have been to identify your weeknesses and work on them. Work on the thing that you like the least or the things that frustrate you the most. For example, if your reloads leave a lot to be desired, practice that at home, but make sure your using a good technique. When you get good at it, it will make shooting a match that much more enjoyable.

well said, we have weekly matches every tuesday and friday. Those are our fun matches (practice) then we have our monthly club matches. i generaly do very well. Just lately i feel ive hit a wall. Ive only been competeing 1 year maybe i peaked to early. I recently became an RO and i noticed thats when the problem started I wonder if im to pressured now and am not focused.

Instead of just shooting practice matches, try shooting some drills on your own at the range. You get to practice problem areas over and over until you begin to get it down.

Just a thought.

A good GM taught class will do wonders at the C/B level..... pay attention, believe what they say, do not resist the training.

Have practice sessions to do individual drills, practice movement, transitions.... it doesn't need to be high round count sessions, but it needs to be quality round count. Do a search on the forum for good drills. Club matches are not really ideal practice, as such, but can be little benchmarks to measure your progress.

Dry fire all the time. (not just draw practice, but pulling the trigger w/o disturbing the sight picture - at speed, with transistions, on multiple targets)

Quit having expectations for your matches; shoot one shot at a time, at the best pace you can accomplish the A's. Stop worrrying about trying to shootfaster than other shooters. The results will come.

It takes alot of intense work to make leaps in your ability.... the higher you go, the more work it takes for any measureable results. Stay with it.

Have fun!

Quit.

Not joking. Take a couple weeks off, helps to keep you from getting burned out when you feel frustrated. You'll come back with a fresh perspective.

I did this mostly because of vacation, I didnt even pick up my gun for over 2 weeks, but I did practice holding my hands out working on the neutral grip in Brian Enos book, and natural POA shot Yesterday (practice)my shooting improved greatly. My focus one front sight and target was greatly improved and my front sight was landing in the rear notch almost like slow motion. The thing I noticed was I was shooting high is there some reason for this, should I adjust sights?

I dint know how to word it but i feel like Ive stopped progressing. Ive hit a wall I'm a high C in production usually do quite well but lately Ive almost been regressing. what do you all do to solve this.

I just saw your post today, I have only been competing for 21 years, I have shot and still shoot several different games.

I don't know every thing Or I am just a very slow learner, I have learned to measure progress in very small increments.

observing lots of shooters come and go and something that may help you.

The one thing that sticks out the most is -new- / first and second year shooters. That move up in class & or score well in club matches, with-out a good foundation to build on

Make a list of what your are good at , the things you have the most confidence in. like good transitions.

make a list of shots that you don't have much experience with.

like prone on wide transition shots or using a barricade for long / over 40 yard shots.

If you were to shoot a Man ON Man event and the other shooter could pick the shot, what shot would make you shake? Train hard until -You- are the only one that can Challenge your self ;)

That was an excellent link - thanks!

One of my favorite parts:

Practice deliberately. Fitts and Posner discovered three keys to breaking through your plateau: 1) focus on technique, 2) stay goal oriented, and 3) and get immediate feedback on the performance. In other words, you need to practice deliberately to break through plateaus.

I think you can reach a peak in physical performance, which doesn't mean you can't progress at all. when you say you have stopped progressing, I kinda corelate it with not learning any more than you already know. To me, I seem to find that hard to believe, I learn things all the time. What I think you have to do is expand on the things that you already know. Because there is always something we can always improve on!

• 2 weeks later...

Getting a good coach, taking a good class is paramount to excelling at this sport; most of the great shooting coaches have done all the work and figured out how to get thru all the minutiae and have the gems to teach you and get you on the right track; after having trained with a number of solid shooting coaches, from my experience, Ted Puente & Ray Witham are two of the best coaches I have ever worked with. Ray, got me from high B class to A class rather quickly by showing me how to negotiate stages correctly and how to drive my gun better; having started training with Ted regularly this year, I have come to realize this guy has more overall knowledge of shooting in general than anyone I have ever worked with in the past and I have been a senior marksmanship trainer with the US Navy, US-ARNG & USAR for over 28 years, so I don't take this stuff lightly. Another thing to consider is the mental game, I have read Lanny Basham's book on shooting, alll of Saul Kirsch's books on shooting and I have read Brian's book also; the best book I have read on the mental game, is "10 Minute Toughness", the author, Dr. Jason Selk, has cut thru a lot of, I'll say it again, "minutiae" and taken this topic to the next level; most of the mental game books talk about developing visualization techniques, such as VMBR, which will take a dedicated person at least 45 min. to a hour everyday, for at least a month, to develop the proper habit patterns & thought processes; most of us do not have that kind of time; Dr. Selk has developed a 10 min. program that actually works, (he is the Sports Psychologist for the STL Cardinals, the US Gymnastics Team and many other great athletes in the US); I know this because I am using it right now to get ready for the World Shoot; he was a protege of the great coach, John Wooden, for approx. 18 mths before Coach Wooden passed a few years ago; Wooden developed things like focusing on the process rather than the outcome, like focusing on one stage at a time, rather the entire match or if you want to get very focused, focus on one shot at a time, or as Doug Koenig has been known to say, I'll paraphrase because I don't remember the exact words, "each shot is a match in itself" ; Dr. Selk has taken it further by utilizing Relentless Process Focus and Relentless Solution Focus (Helps keep your head from getting negative); I would highly recommend this book along with another book I am reading "Talent is Overrated" by Geoff Colvin; this book deals with "Deliberate Practice" or how to practice with correctly, because most of us do not; it also deals with other things like what separates the great performers from everybody else, very interesting stuff. hope this helps.

I dont know how to word it but i feel like ive stopped progressing. Ive hit a wall im a high C in production usualy do quite well but lately ive almost been regressing. what do you all do to solve this.