Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun Noobie questions - Post here

Brendan M

Search has failed to answer my questions so I figure this might be a helpful thread to start.

1. What AR-15 magazines will I want to cover any normal stage? My AR came with 1 steel 30 round magazine.

2. What is the value of a detachable scope mount like the La Rue?

A Pmag 40 with TTI extension covers at least 90% of my needs for 3 gun, but I have an assortment of other sized mags for the more specialized needs of the other 10%.  

I see exactly zero utility in a quick detach scope mount for 3 gun.

As above, tonythetiger nailed it. Have a variety, and no need for a quick detach. The burris PEPR is very popular and reasonably priced, and the vortex PST 1-4 or strike eagle are both excellent entry level scopes that will serve you well for a long time. 

Normal stage can be site specific.  See whats happening near you.  You will need a few more 30 mags at least.  Then you may want a larger one so you do not have to change out mags, and you may want 20 rounders as they are shorter and work better with what you may be shooting off of.  Pick a scope for your budget.

Have a couple extra mags for your rifle.  I tend to always have 2 rifle mags on a stage.  One in the gun and one on my belt.  Buy extra to have some mags loaded in between stages and save yourself some time.  There's no purpose to have a detachable scope mount on your rifle.  Leave that thing on there.  I've got the PEPR mount and it's excellent.

1 hour ago, Thaunk said:

Have a couple extra mags for your rifle.  I tend to always have 2 rifle mags on a stage.  One in the gun and one on my belt.  Buy extra to have some mags loaded in between stages and save yourself some time.  There's no purpose to have a detachable scope mount on your rifle.  Leave that thing on there.  I've got the PEPR mount and it's excellent.

+1

Pmags are relatively cheap and available. I carry three loaded 40's, four 30's and a 20 to most matches that way I usually can go the day without ever reloading a mag. One less thing to worry about.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

I also primarily use a 40 round mag with a TTI +5 base pad and usually get through any stage without issue. I do keep another 30 round mag with a +5 TTI base pad on my belt as well just in case or for a stage with mandatory reload. As others stated no need for removable scope mount, I use ADM mount with my 1x4 Nightforce. 

Next question would be pistol rounds required? I may start with my CZ Compact then buy a dedicated pistol once funds allow. This means dealing with 14 round magazines.

I still have the shot gun to buy as well. Will most likely cry once and get a Benelli.

Work is busy but there is a limit to what my wife will support all at once. Plus she wants a new Glock for competition. I personally can't hit the broad side of a barn with a Glock, but she is great with one.

Edited by Brendan M

1 hour ago, Brendan M said:

Next question would be pistol rounds required? I may start with my CZ Compact then buy a dedicated pistol once funds allow. This means dealing with 14 round magazines.

I still have the shot gun to buy as well. Will most likely cry once and get a Benelli.

Work is busy but there is a limit to what my wife will support all at once. Plus she want a new Glock for competition. I personally can't hit the broad side of a barn with a Glock, but she is great with one.

I have ran stages that has required 20 or more pistol rounds, you need to also take into account misses and plan for that. I will usually run 3 fully loaded mags on my belt. 1 to start the stage with and then 2 extra just incase. I've had some really bad stages before and was glad I had that 3rd mag even though I should have never needed it in the first place. For low round count stages I will just usually run 2 mags total.

I have no experience with a Benelli but if I were to do it over again I would either buy the Benelli or a Stoeger instead of the Mossberg 930 JM I currently have. Nothing against the 930 an inertia driven recoil system would have been nice.

Brendan,

Hopefully you can make it out to Rio this Saturday, it's the monthly 3 gun match.  Have not seen stages yet, but bring what you have.  I guarantee you can borrow equipment, even shotguns especially if you have some ammo to use.

Look me up, I'll be at the match and can help you through if you want.

Jeremy 

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered mags. 1 40 round, 2 30 round and 2 10 round for the range.

Next question, I have narrowed scope choice to either

Vortext Viper PTS 1-4x24 about $500

Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24 about $310

I know the Viper is considered better but don't understand the difference? Is it worth the extra $190?

I have the Vortex Viper 1-4x24 and don't have anything bad to say about it. The glass is clear, eye relief isn't bad, illuminated optic, and is tuff as a box of nails. I have beat the crap out of this thing and it always stays zeroed. 

• 1 month later...

I'm a 3 Gun newbie, just shot my first match last month. But, here's what I carry:

Guns:

Springfield XDM 9mm pistol (19rd magazines)

AR15 I built specifically for 3 Gun

Mossberg 930 JM Pro shotgun

Magazines/carriers:

3 pistol mags (2 in mag carrier, 1 in pistol)

2 30 round PMags (one in rifle, one in mag pouch on the rear of my belt)

2 2x2 shotshell carriers in the front

shoot some big matches and you will get free p-mags... I shoot quite a few matches and it is rare that I use a 40 but I have a couple with basepads.  My go to is a 30 and I always carry a spare on my belt.  Like everyone else, I have some 20's too and also coupled 30's

ELS makes it so you can switch gear around and to me was worth the price of admission. 

I have a strike eagle on an SBR and I find the reticle too fat for my liking. I have had a bunch of scopes and I settled on a VX-6 and a Z6i both 1-6

I have seen an awful lot of JM Pro's go down at matches. I am in the minority in that I don't care for the Benelli.  I do however LOVE my 1301C. I have run it for 2.5 years in over 30 major matches and I NEVER clean it.  I won an M3K and I tricked it all out but I didn't care for it either.