Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why load long?

BGREID

1.18 is what I load Bayou 180 grain tc to.

Tried shorter and I would have ftf's just often enough to screw up your match score, 1 out of 100 - 150 ish.

Except the math was, practice-it is all good, local match that you do not care much about-1 per match, match where you would really like to do your best-1 every 2nd or 3rd stage. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

1.220 for 40 S&W it runs better loaded long. Big trick here is a Lee U Die in station one. Sizes closer to the extractor groove and tighter.

Be sure and lube cases. 40 is where the U die really shines seen several that didn't run start running by just changing to the U die.

The angles/geometry of the 2011 is all based on the 1911 that was originally designed to use the 45 ACP. So loading the 40 long is getting it to closer match the length of the 45 better so the geometry from the mag to the chamber works out closer.

That being said, load it as long as the chamber of your barrel will take it. You should be able to remove the barrel and drop a round into it and use the rim of the cartridge to spin the round freely in the chamber.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

If you're loading .40 MAJOR, the extra length lowers pressure ...   :)

It would be interesting if there was a way to actually do the math on that one. You lower pressure but increase area, so I'm not sure where force (pressure*area) ends up or what the net effect on brass life / split cases would be.

Seems like it would absolutely be a good thing to reduce Glock bulge. 

Come to think of it, longer means you need more powder to get the same power factor and there is a question about how length effects blow by / efficiency of pushing the bullet. I do not have a clue how things settle out in the long run / measurement data would be neat. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

I would say the only reason to load longer than SAAMI specs is because the gun will function better.  Better usually meaning accuracy and function.  Some guns such as 2011's tend to like longer ammo for feeding purposes.  That being said a glock may not even be able to fit really long ammo in its magazine.  Also accuracy can be affected by length as it can affect bullet jump to the rifleing.  It all has to be tested thouroghly.  

Multiple reasons. When I shot limited I loaded my .40's long with a fast burning powder and the recoil was very soft . More room in the case lowers the pressure which in turn lowers recoil. I load long shooting 9 major now cause the mags feed better and I need the room for the powder

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I shoot 40 in Limited USPSA with a Para Ordnance P16. I reload with Clays or Claydot which are very fast burning powders creating high pressure when loaded standard length.
Loading these long, 1.180-1.200, brings the pressures down to acceptable allowing the light recoil of a fast burning powder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Factory is 1.135" I believe. My Para Pro Custom 16.40 will feed any length but my STI needs 1.165" or longer. 

Beware: I had chamber gauging issues (bullet slightly crooked) when loading to 1.200" at a rate of 5%, so I've settled in at 1.180".

4.7gr TG for that 180gr TC Plated round @ 1.180" will get you 169PF (my 5" Para Pro Custom) and feed reliably w/excellent accuracy. 

• 3 months later...