Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Riding Motorcycle to Matches

A few months ago I bought a motorcycle. Ive been riding to work and any trips that its possible to use it for. Im hoping to ride it to matches because I mostly commute to matches by myself. I have a gps hooked up and im pretty sure i can condense my range bag down to a backpack. Anyone have any advice on what works for them? Its a Ninja 650 so saddle bags really arnt an option. My first thought it where you store your riding gear during the match (jacket, gloves, boots)? Ive got about as much money wrapped up into gear as a new gun.

Thanks for any suggestions

I would 3-gun on mine, K1200RS, it did have bags though!

A back pack is plenty big enough for a pistol match, as far as gear I would put my gloves in my helmet on my tank and cover it with my jacket, never had anything come up missing

I would 3-gun on mine, K1200RS, it did have bags though!

A back pack is plenty big enough for a pistol match, as far as gear I would put my gloves in my helmet on my tank and cover it with my jacket, never had anything come up missing

Yeah. Gear should be fine on the bike.

Ive fit everything in a back pack and tank bag for sport bikes or dual sports. On one of my bikes now I have a top box that i can just drop my whole shooting bag into and ride off. Love it.

I think it also depends on how far you have to ride. Riding an hour with a 40# back pack can be tiresome, especially on a bike that had no wind protection going down the freeway.

What are you getting...45mpg+ on that Ninja?

You might try a bag within a bag. I can use a GI cargo tool kit for a Production range bag. When you take your shooting gear out and your smaller range bag...put your riding gear in the bigger travel bag and throw a lock on the zippers and lock also lock it to the bike. Even your jacket, you could route a locking line through the sleeve and to the bike.

Me, I'm not really worried about gear being taken at the range, but it is responsible to secure your gear...especially if you want to stop in for a bite to eat someplace before/after the match.

Its a Ninja 650 so saddle bags really arnt an option.

You should reconsider this. I have a couple of sets of soft bags of different sizes. I've had them on everything from a Ninja 250, to a Triumph TT600, and a Suzuki GS1100E. Add a tail bag to that, and you have room to spare.

Here is my little Triumph with the soft bags and tail bag.

d4_conservation_01.jpg

Ninjas are sport-touring bikes, so I'm calling BS on no saddle bags. I've done the bike to match thing on my Ducati Monster. I used a backpack, used the inner belt as a regular belt, rolled up the outer belt, and put the holders and holster on when I got to my destination. I just carry 200 rounds of ammunition to a local match. I have a soft cooler for drinks and protein bars, and it fits in my backpack just fine. A folding tripod seat fits in my pack, too.

You should reconsider this. I have a couple of sets of soft bags of different sizes. I've had them on everything from a Ninja 250, to a Triumph TT600, and a Suzuki GS1100E. Add a tail bag to that, and you have room to spare.

d4_conservation_01.jpg

Where do you find those bags?

post-18733-0-88186400-1466093796_thumb.j

d4_conservation_01.jpg

Where do you find those bags?

Probably got them from http://www.motorcyclegear.com/

I've had them for several years, but I get most of my gear from them. That is all Nelson-Rigg stuff....

BTW, nice Daytona....

Here is my two up Trophy:

ozarks_2014_may-1000537.jpg

Edited by BobT

Just don't leave your jacket on the ground. The last time I did this, my daughter ended up having to pull a tick off of my back.

Or helmet....Not fun when you put it on and decide at 70MPH that ants have made a home inside it while it was on the ground.

Thanks for the input. Ill definitely look into bags if the weight gets annoying. I was more worried about the riding gear than the shooting gear. Ive never had anything stolen at matches and generally speaking everyone i have met was a great person but leaving your stuff laying around is just asking for someone to take it

Adventure Designs has a nice option for locking jackets & helmets to your bike - it's a large carabiner with a combo lock on it attached to about a 2 foot length of nylon webbing over a steel cable - thread it through your jacket sleeve and helmet then lock it to the bike frame

I don't work for them, but have gotten quite a bit of use out of this item and like it

Seeing these Triumphs... I just passed on buying an 05 Sprint (with bags). Heck of a deal on it too. I wanted to make sure my buddy didn't want it more than me before I pulled the trigger. It sold in the morning. I was going to buy it at lunch time. (neither of us got it)

What are you getting...45mpg+ on that Ninja?

My average since I got it is 48 ..going 70 on the highway its somewhere in the mid 50s.

Nice. I got low 50's the last couple of tanks I checked in my KLR650. I haven't ridden in a minute though.

I've been riding my NC700X to matches mostly, the GSXR rarely. On Triumphs I had a Daytona 675 and a new Bonneville SE. I loved both of them and if there were a dealer closer to me I'd probably have the new Tiger 800 and/or Street Triple.

My top box takes my shooting bag, even if jammed full. Then the "gas tank" is a trunk on this bike and I can put say a change of clothes, extra food and water, shoes or whatever in there.

Edited by rowdyb