Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Multiple Firearm Purchases

Thaunk

So this has been a fun week. I've got a few firearms coming into my local FFL. What I didn't know is that if you have multiple firearms transferred to you within a week the FFL has to notify the FBI and BATF that you're a "multiple purchaser". This seemed to cause him some consternation on my behalf and he's told me I should probably wait. Is this advice I should heed or is he being overly cautious?

Depends on if you want to get held everytime you fill out a 4473. Couple years ago I bought 3 pistols on the same day from 3 different dealers at a gun show. Ever since then I don't get immediate approval. Not a huge deal as being an IL resident I am subject to a 3 day waiting period.

wont let me edit in the relevant code...

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/923

(3)

(A)
Each licensee shall prepare a report of multiple sales or other dispositions whenever the licensee sells or otherwise disposes of, at one time or during any five consecutive business days, two or more pistols, or revolvers, or any combination of pistols and revolvers totalling two or more, to an unlicensed person. The report shall be prepared on a form specified by the Attorney General and forwarded to the office specified thereon and to the department of State police or State law enforcement agency of the State or local law enforcement agency of the local jurisdiction in which the sale or other disposition took place, not later than the close of business on the day that the multiple sale or other disposition occurs.

So yes multiple handguns. It looks like the waits have it. Is it good policy to tell the sellers it'll be a bit before their pistols are transferred to me?

When I cannot wait, I use two different FFLs in my area. It allowed me to take advantage of a limited deal that I would have missed if I waited a week. YMMV...

Ya it really isnt an issue it is one extra form that gets sent to local LEO which im sure is filed in the trash can and the ATF. never seen an issue with one and I have seen some that get alot of multiples. Now someone who buys a ton of Hi points, Jennings etc may red flag lol

• 2 weeks later...

Talked with my FFL before he went on vacation. He said he wouldn't do a multiple transfer so I'm stuck waiting. Somewhat disappointing but I got another FFL a friend uses if I want to use them next time.

This is the first I've heard of this. My FFL tells me that I can buy or transfer as many gun at a time that I want to. I've done two pistols in one day and another two days later. I guess the FFL I use maybe does the paperwork and has no problem doing it or just doesn't know of this rule.

This is the first I've heard of this. My FFL tells me that I can buy or transfer as many gun at a time that I want to. I've done two pistols in one day and another two days later. I guess the FFL I use maybe does the paperwork and has no problem doing it or just doesn't know of this rule.

Most FFLs don't mind doing this and may not mention it. Those who don't want to may wish to avoid the potential for extra ATF attention or audits.

Do a few multiples and you might get a friendly phone call from your local ATF field agent. Do a lot of cheap guns and I'd imagine you'd get more than that.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been in the industry for 12 years now and as an FFL, we just do the paperwork and don't mention it. Unless you are buying multiples of the same item, or lots of multiple forms regularly (weekly/ monthly), there is no big deal about it. They are trying to catch people who are either A) buying and reselling or B) trafficing firearms for illegal purposes. As long as you aren't trying to do something illegal, it shouldn't be a big deal even if you did get a call from a field agent. They understand more than they are given credit for; guys buying two of the same gun (compeitive shooters who want a backup, or guy buying one for himself and one as a gift for wife/son/daughter). They've heard that enough times to know that its a regular thing. Guy buying 3 glock 17s one week, 2 more the next week, another multiple form the next month; something like that may be investigated more rigorously.

Does this only apply to pistols? I'm thinking come Black Friday / Cyber Monday there are going to be some good deals on stripped/complete AR lowers and I might grab a few for new builds (especially going into an election year).

Does this only apply to pistols? I'm thinking come Black Friday / Cyber Monday there are going to be some good deals on stripped/complete AR lowers and I might grab a few for new builds (especially going into an election year).

Yes, it's multiple handguns. I remember reading about requiring them on long guns in the Southeast to combat trafficking but not sure what if anything came if it.

I've been in the industry for 12 years now and as an FFL, we just do the paperwork and don't mention it. Unless you are buying multiples of the same item, or lots of multiple forms regularly (weekly/ monthly), there is no big deal about it. They are trying to catch people who are either A) buying and reselling or B) trafficing firearms for illegal purposes. As long as you aren't trying to do something illegal, it shouldn't be a big deal even if you did get a call from a field agent. They understand more than they are given credit for; guys buying two of the same gun (compeitive shooters who want a backup, or guy buying one for himself and one as a gift for wife/son/daughter). They've heard that enough times to know that its a regular thing. Guy buying 3 glock 17s one week, 2 more the next week, another multiple form the next month; something like that may be investigated more rigorously.

This made a reasonable amount of sense to me but apparently not to my FFL. I've got 1 more to pick up. Will probably do it today.

States that border Mexico have to report muiti sell of semi auto rifles larger then 22lr. I reported multi lowers one time to cover my butt and the ATF called and said not to do so again and mailed the form back to me.

Edited by kellymc

As an FFL, the multiple firearms form only applies to handguns and I have multiple customers who buy a couple at a time and it hasn't made any difference in delays. I haven't had anyone do 10 guns at a time, but the number of firearms isn't sent to NICS when I do a background check, only the type (handgun, longgun, and other such as a lower).

Also an FFL here, we have a couple of customers who get at least one multiple a month and have been doing it for almost a year now. No issues from BATFE. Only time we had the ATF call to check on a multiple was someone moved in from across the country and shipped their entire gun collection to us. 31 handguns on a multiple form earned a phone call pretty quick. Haha