Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What pistol is best?

I have never competed but I want too and don't know where to start except to find a club in my area and see where some of the local matches are. What I am wanting to know are a couple of things. First I have a Glock 23 that I have customized - Ported slide, a trigger from Glock Triggers, stippled grip, Hienie irons in the rear and a big dot in the front. getting a kkm barrel soon. what can I do with what I have now?

in a couple of months I am either getting a G34 or G35 and I am planning on customizing it much like a limited pistol for uspsa ( I am leaning toward a G35 because that is what most shoot in limited if it is a glock) I like Glock because that is what feels comfortable to my hand and my pocket book. Looking for some good input from here?

Thank you

you can shoot your G23 in Limited right now which is exactly what you should do. Don't go out and buy another gun until you've shot a few matches and get a feel for everything -- hell you may discover that you'd rather take up badminton instead of competitive shooting and you won't have spent a lot of money on something you can no longer use ... :). After a few matches if you decide you want to continue shooting Limited then the G35 is a good choice ....

or get an STI Edge ....

Edited by Nimitz

You live in a great area for shooting. You can shoot a match just about every weekend of the month. Sound like your G23 is rigged out for Limited, so like Nimitz said, I would just use it for a few months and see where you want to go from there. I've seen too many people go out and spend crazy money on race guns and then find out competition shooting is not for them.

Google Dallas Action Pistol Shooters. It's a great club with a lot of great members......

Agreed. Shoot what you've got first and go from there. After you find a club and hit a couple or few matches, I'm sure you will be able to try another club members gun to see if a different or more "raced out" gun is for you. But be warned, once that competition bug strikes it's hard to shake! :roflol:

Read this forum and go to matches. Given where you live, you can easily attend matches and compete or just watch. You will learn a lot doing both of those. I think you'll find most shooters are very willing to talk about their guns, accessories, etc. Remember to be respectful - some people don't want to chit chat in the middle of the match. It's best to wait until the scores are in the books before asking too many questions.

Thank you all - Great advice do you think I should put a mag well on my G23 and what mag extensions would you recommend?

I would say buying extensions (I don't think it matters which one, I have used the 4 major ones and had no issues with any of them. I prefer Dawson for the simplicity of on and off.) is more important than a magwell. It is easier to train yourself to have a fast reload without a magwell than to train your magazines to hold more bullets... However, depending on which magwell you got, I think you could then move it, and your extensions, onto your 35 and be that much closer to having a limited gun put together.

But the 15 found mags and added extensions. Run your 23 for a few months and see if you like the sport. Shoot and borrow as many different guns you can during that time. You might realize that blocks aren't the best for you.

Thank you all - Great advice do you think I should put a mag well on my G23 and what mag extensions would you recommend?

I would recommend Taran Tactical extensions on full size mags and try out limited for a while with your 23. They can be used when you get your 34 or 35. Dont worry about a magwell. A double stack pistol has a big enough hole.

After you shoot for a while and get a feel for which division you want to shoot, you can buy equipment accordingly.

I have never competed but I want too and don't know where to start except to find a club in my area and see where some of the local matches are. What I am wanting to know are a couple of things. First I have a Glock 23 that I have customized - Ported slide, a trigger from Glock Triggers, stippled grip, Hienie irons in the rear and a big dot in the front. getting a kkm barrel soon. what can I do with what I have now?

in a couple of months I am either getting a G34 or G35 and I am planning on customizing it much like a limited pistol for uspsa ( I am leaning toward a G35 because that is what most shoot in limited if it is a glock) I like Glock because that is what feels comfortable to my hand and my pocket book. Looking for some good input from here?

Thank you

New Glock needs all the stuff your old Glock has; sights, stipple, trigger, and probably a new recoil spring. Get some base mag extensions, and you're GTG.

Hold off on the porting for now, because it's probably the most expensive and least functional part of the your setup. Get a good magwell later on down the line, as that will probably be the most expensive piece.

Go shoot your present gun, as is, and after a couple of matches you will have a better idea of what you may need - or want. Just pay attention, go slow and get an idea of how the game is played without trying to go fast.

^ He's right. Take your time, concentrate on fundamentals and don't hesitate to ask questions. Action shooting is one of the few sports where other participants will help you develop and win. Good luck.

Taran might be too modest to link to his stuff, but I'm not. It's not exactly a scientific test, but most of the time when I'm picking up a Glock mag off the ground at my local club that has an aftermarket basepad on it, it's one of Taran's.

As some point, I'm planning on swapping out my factor Glock basepads (nice engineering, but just awful to get off the mag) with some of Taran's products for Production (no extra rounds, just a better design) and Limited (which increases your mag capacity).

Plus Taran's stuff just looks cool and looking cool is half the battle in action shooting. :)

Edited by ericjhuber

Taran might be too modest to link to his stuff, but I'm not. It's not exactly a scientific test, but most of the time when I'm picking up a Glock mag off the ground at my local club that has an aftermarket basepad on it, it's one of Taran's.

As some point, I'm planning on swapping out my factor Glock basepads (nice engineering, but just awful to get off the mag) with some of Taran's products for Production (no extra rounds, just a better design) and Limited (which increases your mag capacity).

Plus Taran's stuff just looks cool and looking cool is half the battle in actions shooting. :)

+1 on this! I got some of Taran's base pads and they work great! And they look cool... :cheers: