Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking of running some ads for Slide-Glide ...

Here's a thought... "stickman" (he's a huge firearms photographer) is doing a big giveaway and is advertising a lot of brands for the giveaway. Send him a tub or two of it to give away and you'll get some awesome advertising out of it. A LOT of people follow stickman.

stickman is a youtube guy?

Last Friday, I posted in every Slide-Glide youtube video I could find, and over the weekend we got a lot more Slide-Glide orders than we normally would. :)

If you do some published advertisement I think it would be best to leverage the advantages of using Slide-Glide over other products. I love using Slide-Glide and use it on all of my firearms but I think that my firearms use case is quite different than the average gun owner. For example, Slide-Glide allows me to shoot thousands of rounds between cleans while still maintaining effective lubrication and proper functionality of my firearm. The average gun owner usually only shoots 50 - 100 rounds in a single shooting session then does a field strip & clean after each shooting session. For that use case and cleaning schedule, using Slide-Glide is not an "Advantage". Not needing to stop shooting to clean and re lubricate your firearm IS the advantage that you need to market. But I am not sure sure how easy it would be to market that change in use case and cleaning schedule to the masses.

One way to prove that Slide-Glide is an advantage over extended shooting sessions is to literally setup a head to head challenge against an competing product. Clean and lubricate a firearm with a competitors product and shoot it in 100 round increments until the lubricant starts to fail. Then do the same with Slide-Glide. You could video this comparison in an entertaining format as well. Such as having two full auto Glock 18's. One lubed up with a competitors lube and then the other lubed up with Slide-Glide. Then chainsaw multiple mags of rounds through each one at the same time stopping at 100, 500, and 1000 rounds to do a field strip and inspection of the lubrication left after shooting. This would cost some serious $$$ in ammo and guns, but it would be entertaining to watch and also prove the effectiveness of Slide-Glide over other lubricants at the same time.

• 1 month later...

I travel a lot and like to have a magazine w/ me. Recoil magazine has been my go to gun related lately. They have guns, girls and cars. A lot of tactical like stuff, but everybody who didn't get a shot at being Rambo has to get it out of his system somehow. I know at my shop, if it's not at Brownell's, it's not likely to be on the bench.

It's in my guns though. Seems like I saw it in the Dillon mailer this week..?

I got a tube of Slide Glide off the prize table at the Region X Bianchi match a couple of weeks ago. Thanks Brian! I like it and use it. This was a small tube which I really like because it goes in the range bag easily and the small pointy end allows you to put a little bit right where you want without getting messy.

For advertising, you might think about rounding up appropriate posts on this Forum (you can use the search function :P ) into one place and put links to that on other places. That would be cheap or free and help more people find the Forum too.

I travel a lot and like to have a magazine w/ me. Recoil magazine has been my go to gun related lately. They have guns, girls and cars. A lot of tactical like stuff, but everybody who didn't get a shot at being Rambo has to get it out of his system somehow. I know at my shop, if it's not at Brownell's, it's not likely to be on the bench.

It's in my guns though. Seems like I saw it in the Dillon mailer this week..?

Dillon's been selling it since I got it in the tubes.

I got a tube of Slide Glide off the prize table at the Region X Bianchi match a couple of weeks ago. Thanks Brian! I like it and use it. This was a small tube which I really like because it goes in the range bag easily and the small pointy end allows you to put a little bit right where you want without getting messy.

For advertising, you might think about rounding up appropriate posts on this Forum (you can use the search function :P ) into one place and put links to that on other places. That would be cheap or free and help more people find the Forum too.

That is an excellent, and fairly easy to implement, idea.

Couple things from someone that does this for a living:

Facebook ads are the worst ROI - almost never a good choice.

Digital advertising on the other hand is very good. Google will sell you key words but better are banner ads that are displayed in various news sights and forums. Well designed ad plus good targeting will almost always equal significant increase in sales.

Don't buy from anyone that recommends Facebook.

As far as print: Am Handgunner has always been one of our best for return vs. $ spent, same for Shotgun News. For us, banner ads don't work - but we're selling a company, not an individual product. We have an affiliate program that does work. Website/blog joins, we post our ads, for every order that comes by clicking the ad, we give them a percentage. YouTube videos drive a lot of business. Top YouTube guys are Hickok 45, Iraqvet888, military arms channel, Jerry Miculek is catching up quickly. Third party endorsements are best, gun writer, internet star/blogger, etc.

Bryan, I have a web site and sell a very niche product. These are actually made in Canada and my partner there sells the european and out of US markets. I would think your item would sell well and I extend you an offer to put your stuff on with mine. I plan on doing much more cross merchandising several items. Its free so let me know if you want to try it.

My web site is

http://texascustomgun.com

Whip up a Facebook page, there are enough really well known and popular shooters that have professional and personal pages on there that you can reach a gigantic community just by having a close knit base of racers to start out with looking through your page. Keep up on it though, 1-2 posts a day, break some stuff out of the gun safe or have users send pictures of what firearms they're using your product in. The firearms industry has a huge presence on Instagram INCLUDING other firearm lube manufacturers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As another person who works very closely with those who do this for a living (who stumbled into this thread for a completely different reason), trgt and ctay both had great suggestions.

Setting realistic goals based on data and then measuring attainment against them is the cornerstone to any effective marketing program.

FWIW, Slide Glide is good enough that I actually had bought some before ever registering to post here - its reputation is stellar for a very good reason. If you've never actively marketed it you might be surprised at the results that focused promotion could generate.

MB