Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Square butt or larger round butt for 625

Merlin Orr

I just shot my first match with my "new" 625. The gun felt kinda slippery and seemed to small for my paw. I want to try a different grip than the smooth round butt grip that is currently on the gun. (Jerry M). What are other (large hands?) shooters finding that works well? Thinking I might try a round and a square butt style...? Are finger grooves a plus or minus with a revolver?

Have ya tryed just the regular Houge that come on most of them? I see lots of the guys shooting them. Or some people use some body puddy or whatever and build a huge Frienkenstien type monstrosity out of their grips.{darrin garrity} :surprise: (I use the JM grips). Good luck, almost have to just try some different ones Merlin.

If you want a pair of the stock Houges drop me a PM and I will send you a pair.

As I've said a number of times, I love the JM grips as long as I don't have to fire the gun. ;)

For this stuff I started with X-frame grips, then went to Nills. I really like them, but it kills me that I have $300 invested in two sets of grips... and they're not ivory, pearl or stag, but expensive blue plywood. :huh:

Edited by cas

I use the standard Houges, Advantage is they are cheap and run the same grip on 2 625's 686 and my carry M 19 2 1/2 inch. You get used to one grip it's good to stay with it. They seem to absorb recoil pretty good too. Have a couple of retro Smiths and use the standard grip with a Tyler T grip. Look good but they transfer recoil to you hand much more.

Boats

post-11033-126460747546_thumb.jpg

Have ya tryed just the regular Houge that come on most of them? I see lots of the guys shooting them. Or some people use some body puddy or whatever and build a huge Frienkenstien type monstrosity out of their grips.{darrin garrity} surprise.gif (I use the JM grips). Good luck, almost have to just try some different ones Merlin.

If you want a pair of the stock Houges drop me a PM and I will send you a pair.

Great info.... Thanks to all. I have borrowed a friend's Houge and will start there. If I don't like the Houge I guess I will try a Nil grip and see where it leads me.

I have a suspicion that I am going to end up with a box of grips to match the boxes of holsters and mag pouches I already have on the shelves....biggrin.gif

snertly - thank you for the offer. PM sent....

Chills1994....wink.gif

I have settled on the Hogue wood conversion grips and sand them to fit my hands, I buy them from Hogues' auction site and generally pay less than $40. I normally leave the lower part of the back strap area as wide as possible, remove the finger groves if any and thin the left side where my thumb comes around the grip. When I am satisfied with the fit and recoil absorption a quick spray job with a can of automotive clear coat finishes them off nicely. If I can find the link I will post a picture of my latest pair.

post-5056-126462738634_thumb.jpg

Great info.... Thanks to all. I have borrowed a friend's Houge and will start there. If I don't like the Houge I guess I will try a Nil grip and see where it leads me.

I have a suspicion that I am going to end up with a box of grips to match the boxes of holsters and mag pouches I already have on the shelves....biggrin.gif

snertly - thank you for the offer. PM sent....

Chills1994....wink.gif

Sent you a PM :devil:

I use Eagle "Classic" wood grips on my guns. They're a knock off of the old Jordan "Trooper" grip. They're smooth, so it's easy to move the gun to make adjustments to your grip, and have a nice palm swell for righties. Only downside is cost, around $60-70.

OK... I made a newbie mistake and did not realize the gun, being a Model of 1988, is a Square Butt gun....

Seems to be a much better selection of grips, especially used ones, for the round butt variety.

Would cutting/modding the gun to round butt be something I should consider?

Hhmmm...somethin' doesn't SOUND RIGHT...AFAIK, EVERY 625 to EVER leave 2100 Roosevelt Ave. in Springfiled, Mass has been built on a ROUND BUTT Frame...I would suggest that you look again, VEWWY CAWEFULLY...

BTW, for those with LARGE HANDS, I suggest trying the wood Hogue Monogrips with NO finger grooves...seems to work as well as anything, and better'n most...and as a previous Poster suggested, check Hogue's Auction site OFTEN...there are DEALS to be found there...HTH....mikey357

OK... I made a newbie mistake and did not realize the gun, being a Model of 1988, is a Square Butt gun....

Seems to be a much better selection of grips, especially used ones, for the round butt variety.

Would cutting/modding the gun to round butt be something I should consider?

Merlin: The gun pictured in my earlier post is a square butt gun, after modifying the grips I could see no reason to convert the frame to a round butt style. Hogue curently have quite a few square butt grips on their auction site.

Hhmmm...somethin' doesn't SOUND RIGHT...AFAIK, EVERY 625 to EVER leave 2100 Roosevelt Ave. in Springfiled, Mass has been built on a ROUND BUTT Frame...I would suggest that you look again, VEWWY CAWEFULLY...

BTW, for those with LARGE HANDS, I suggest trying the wood Hogue Monogrips with NO finger grooves...seems to work as well as anything, and better'n most...and as a previous Poster suggested, check Hogue's Auction site OFTEN...there are DEALS to be found there...HTH....mikey357

OK... I am really showing my ignorance of S&W pistols. Per your post I searched up a picture and...you are right as rain. My gun looks like the frame pictured on the left side.

Thanks! smile.gif I see now.

post-2898-126464238796_thumb.jpg

Edited by Merlin Orr