Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Mags for Glock

Mark K

The Taylor Freelance extensions are really +10 when talking about 9mm, so you take a 17 round mag and turn it into a 27 round mag. Some folks are tuning the followers and cutting coils off the springs and getting 28 / 29 rounds, but of course then you are tinkering with reliability.

Hello: I was using the Taylor Freelance +11 that gave me 28 rounds reloadable. For the small mags I was using Arredondo +5 base pads that gave me 24 rounds. You will want 2 big sticks and 3 140mm mags. Most times you can reload big stick to 140mm or even 140mm to 140mm. I was using all Glock factory mags. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Pic of my Open Glock with a TF mag.

DSCN2248.jpg

Two things fwiw:

-I shot this configuration at the IPSC Nats and the magazines gauge safely below the 170mm mark.

-By clipping two mag spring coils, you can EASILY load up 29+1. I got this to work in practice, but have no desire to use it in a match. Clipping mag coils just doesn't sit right with me.

You can't fool me, that can't be your gun, it is not blue!!

Pic of my Open Glock with a TF mag.

DSCN2248.jpg

Two things fwiw:

-I shot this configuration at the IPSC Nats and the magazines gauge safely below the 170mm mark.

-By clipping two mag spring coils, you can EASILY load up 29+1. I got this to work in practice, but have no desire to use it in a match. Clipping mag coils just doesn't sit right with me.

or you can cut a 33 round mag off at #28, add the arredondo extension, depending on where you cut your spring, you'll get 30+ rounds. Same setup that SJC sells. And it should be just under the 170 rule.

michaels

^ Mark K...:roflol:

or you can cut a 33 round mag off at #28, add the arredondo extension, depending on where you cut your spring, you'll get 30+ rounds. Same setup that SJC sells. And it should be just under the 170 rule.

Let's assume that you can obtain a Glock 31rd mag for $45. (They are only 33 by the virtue of the +2 basepad...something that you will not use in creating this Franken-mag). Add in $35 for the Arredondo basepad, and you are at $80 for something that you may or may now create correctly without a fair amount of trial and error.

A TF +11 extension is $40, and there is no guesswork or coil clipping involved.

I was going to try and create one of those mags using a $19.00 cdnn 33 round mag and a used Arrendondo extension I picked up for $20.00. Never got around to it. I did discover a .40 Scherer mag (no metal liner) with TF base pad and follower will give you 30 rounds of 9mm. YMMV

Let's assume that you can obtain a Glock 31rd mag for $45. (They are only 33 by the virtue of the +2 basepad...something that you will not use in creating this Franken-mag). Add in $35 for the Arredondo basepad, and you are at $80 for something that you may or may now create correctly without a fair amount of trial and error.

And, at $80, you're pretty close to SJC's price for their big stick.....

^ Mark K...roflol.gif

Depends on where you get the 33 rounder I guess, I bought a couple for 32.00 and then the basepads were picked up used on benos, I think maybe 35 bucks for both of them. I was not a big project and I really had no use for the 33 rounders anyway, so it was interesting to see if it could be done. It's like the whole concept of making an open glock on your workbench with just a couple of tools and some cheap parts. To me that's part of the fun in shooting a glock, you put it together yourself and you make it work. Otherwise just buy something like a limcat gun and have an on call dept to fix when and if needed.

michaels

• 2 weeks later...

Stock magazine with the Taylor Freelance +10, and Arredondo +6 for shorter courses.

Talk to taylor about what gen mags you are using for advice on sanding down the stock follower to prevent it getting hung up in the mag.

Newest gen follows need to be rounded a little or the get caught up sometimes.