Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flying w/guns

I flew from Augusta, GA to San Diego with an M&P9 checked with zero problems. They didn't even ask me to open the case. They scanned the case first and probably realized there were no mags and no rounds in there.

We'll see how it goes when I try to return from CA...

Federal Law still requires you to declare a firearm prior to checking your bags. They are required to have you open the case containing the firearm and they are required to confirm it is unloaded and to have you sign a card, declaring the unloaded firearm and placing that card in the container holding the firearm. After filling out the declaration, I have had to hand carry my luggage with the firearm to the baggage screening area and hand it personally to a TSA agent and then wait there until my bag is scanned.

If a ticket agent did not follow these procedures, I would stop them and ask for a supervisor. I would be afraid of being held liable for the ticket agents mistake. I believe if a firearm was slipped through without following the correct procedures and TSA caught it, they would keep your firearm for awhile while they sorted out the problem. So even if you were not the one making the mistake, your probably going to be without your gun for awhile.

Sometimes I fly armed in the cabin of the aircraft and TSA still requires the firearms in my checked baggage be declared and unloaded. Which I thought was illogical, they will let me carry a loaded firearm in the cabin of the aircraft without checking it but if I place another firearm in the luggage, it has to be checked and declared?

Kevin

I flew from Augusta, GA to San Diego with an M&P9 checked with zero problems. They didn't even ask me to open the case. They scanned the case first and probably realized there were no mags and no rounds in there.

We'll see how it goes when I try to return from CA...

Federal Law still requires you to declare a firearm prior to checking your bags. They are required to have you open the case containing the firearm and they are required to confirm it is unloaded and to have you sign a card, declaring the unloaded firearm and placing that card in the container holding the firearm. After filling out the declaration, I have had to hand carry my luggage with the firearm to the baggage screening area and hand it personally to a TSA agent and then wait there until my bag is scanned.

If a ticket agent did not follow these procedures, I would stop them and ask for a supervisor. I would be afraid of being held liable for the ticket agents mistake. I believe if a firearm was slipped through without following the correct procedures and TSA caught it, they would keep your firearm for awhile while they sorted out the problem. So even if you were not the one making the mistake, your probably going to be without your gun for awhile.

Sometimes I fly armed in the cabin of the aircraft and TSA still requires the firearms in my checked baggage be declared and unloaded. Which I thought was illogical, they will let me carry a loaded firearm in the cabin of the aircraft without checking it but if I place another firearm in the luggage, it has to be checked and declared?

Kevin

"They are required to have you open the case containing the firearm and they are required to confirm it is unloaded"

Are you saying they are going to confirm it is unloaded by cycling the action? When I fly to matches with my gun/s, I open the case as little as possible and then put in the signed tag that says its unloaded inside. I don't touch the gun and don't want someone at the airport seeing me with a gun. I am afraid of people yelling....he's got a gun or telling a security officer....there is a guy wearing....who has a gun.

I flew to several 3 gun matches last year and not once did a TSA agent try to cycle the action. They didn't even want to touch the guns, just felt around to see it there was anything hidden. At two airports they didn't even open the case, just sent it down the chute and said to wait for a few minutes to see if there was a problem. I'm not sure how they can see my declaration tag if its locked inside. I need to get an x-ray of my guns in the case. It would make a great avatar.

Doug

After what you did at MCRC last week I called TSA. You ain't coming back from Lala Land. Beating me when you can't even run is too much to take!

Are you going to be back for the Steel match tomorrow?

Paul

I cheated (you should know that)! :unsure: I don't get back until tomorrow and then leave for Boston on Sunday. :(

... they are required to confirm it is unloaded and to have you sign a card ...

Wow! I signed the card and I even asked if they wanted me to open the case and they said no, not unless somehing looks wrong when they scan it. I did have the slide off, the barrel and recoil spring out, and no mags nor rounds in the case, so it should have been pretty easy to see that it wasn't "loaded".

Edited by High Lord Gomer

When I fly with guns, about half the time they want me to show them that the gun is unloaded. I always make sure I position my body so that the public can't see what I'm doing. Like most things involving firearms, a little discretion goes a long way in preventing problems.

As I always say when the topic of flying with guns comes up, the more professional and clean-cut you look and dress, the less hassle you will have. You might be the nicest guy in the world, but the scraggly goatee and the neck tattoos may be sending out a different message.

I even go through the trouble of breaking my guns down, when they open the gun case they are looking at parts of a gun and it seems to ease their minds, I know it's not necessary but I do it anyways. Good luck and have a nice flight :cheers:

The ticket agents or TSA will not touch your firearm. The ticket agent is required to verify the firearm is unloaded. I know they shortcut this but it is required. I have declared alot of Military looking weapons over the years and the only time I have ever gotten a reaction, is when I am declaring an Uzi. This one always gets a raised eyebrow, or sometimes a gasp, by the ticket agent but they never say anything. I agree I try not to let the public around me see whats in the bag. Although its not because of them freaking out at the scene. In case something happened on the aircraft, I don't want to already be identified because of the firearms in the checked baggage.

thanx, guyz. heading up to the oregon coast and figured i might as well shoot a match.

Reading this reminds me of the one perk I really enjoy from work.....what a royal pain. What's interesting is that a SC Ultimate Tournament Series bag fits just fine in the overhead :devil:

thanx, guyz. heading up to the oregon coast and figured i might as well shoot a match.

Reading this reminds me of the one perk I really enjoy from work.....what a royal pain. What's interesting is that a SC Ultimate Tournament Series bag fits just fine in the overhead :devil:

Yes it does..... :devil: I have done the same thing.

I even go through the trouble of breaking my guns down, when they open the gun case they are looking at parts of a gun and it seems to ease their minds, I know it's not necessary but I do it anyways. Good luck and have a nice flight :cheers:

+1. easier to show the firearm disassembled, avoids any question about whether it's loaded :)

Yes it does..... :devil: I have done the same thing.

With all due respect to both of you.....may a crazed capuchin monkey find hospitality in your underwear !!!

Once in a while I fly with a buddy who has a nifty ID. When he casually strolls right on by the security line (with his gun and ammo on his shoulder) smirking at me it makes me want to hit him in the head with a tack hammer :D:ph34r::D

Edited by smokshwn