• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guaranteed to clear a room :D

:roflol:

Gloria didn't like the sound of that.

I have a feeling she didn't like the smell of it either. lol

lest i remind everyone that real chili means NO BEANS!!!!!

You got that right!! And leave out that ground meat too, I want chunks of the crittter in my spoon.

Joe W.

And leave out that ground meat too, I want chunks of the crittter in my spoon.

Joe W.

I use chuck in my chili, far better than ground stuff.

Try using whole cumin seeds, toast them in a skillet first, till they really get aromatic, then grind them....mmmmm

I don't recall seeing beer as an ingredient either....

• 5 weeks later...

I did this one just last weekend. Turned out very well.

1 teaspoon vegetable oil

3 pounds of dead cow - 2 lbs. ground chuck and 1 lb. cubed (1/4") cheap steak-type meat worked great. Vary the portions to suit your taste.

2 (14-ounce) cans beef broth

1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce

1 tablespoon paprika (smoked paprika is best)

1 tablespoon granulated onion

5 tablespoons chili powder, divided

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

2 beef bouillon cubes

1 chicken bouillon cube

1 tablespoon ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic

Salt to taste

In a skillet, add vegetable oil. Brown the dead cow. Work in batches so you don't overload the pan and get a bunch of water releasing too quickly. That just makes boiled meat (I mean, we're not Brits, are we? :lol: ) and you miss the good caramelizing that adds so much

Drain fat. Put the meat in a 8-quart stockpot (don't use cast iron; the acid in the tomato can produce a metallic taste) and pour in one can of beef broth. Add water to cover an inch or so. Bring to a slow boil and cook for 30 minutes. Add remaining broth and tomato sauce and boil low for another 30 minutes. Stir in the paprika, granulated onion, 3 tablespoons chili powder, cayenne and bouillon cubes. Slow-boil for another 30 minutes.

Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons chili powder, cumin and granulated garlic. Salt to taste. Boil another 30 minutes, adding water as needed to get the consistency you want (I didn't need any).

Serve with grated cheddar cheese and a slice of jalapeno pepper, if desired.

If you want beans, serve them on the side and don't call it chili.

This is GOOD! Tried it this weekend and the only thing I changed was adding a little corn starch to thicken it a scosh! TWO Thumbs Up!

This is GOOD! Tried it this weekend and the only thing I changed was adding a little corn starch to thicken it a scosh! TWO Thumbs Up!

:D

I know it's only one of a million recipes out there, and it takes a small investment of time, but it does make a nice batch of chili!

• 11 months later...

New batch brewing, watching 24 Hours of Daytona

Lol...damn where is that pot stirring emoticon?

Other than Bike week ... the 24 is the only race at Daytona that matters.Like the only race in May that matters in not in Indiana but south of it's border :sight:

Tom

I did this one just last weekend. Turned out very well.

1 teaspoon vegetable oil

3 pounds of dead cow - 2 lbs. ground chuck and 1 lb. cubed (1/4") cheap steak-type meat worked great. Vary the portions to suit your taste.

2 (14-ounce) cans beef broth

1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce

1 tablespoon paprika (smoked paprika is best)

1 tablespoon granulated onion

5 tablespoons chili powder, divided

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

2 beef bouillon cubes

1 chicken bouillon cube

1 tablespoon ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic

Salt to taste

In a skillet, add vegetable oil. Brown the dead cow. Work in batches so you don't overload the pan and get a bunch of water releasing too quickly. That just makes boiled meat (I mean, we're not Brits, are we? :lol: ) and you miss the good caramelizing that adds so much

Drain fat. Put the meat in a 8-quart stockpot (don't use cast iron; the acid in the tomato can produce a metallic taste) and pour in one can of beef broth. Add water to cover an inch or so. Bring to a slow boil and cook for 30 minutes. Add remaining broth and tomato sauce and boil low for another 30 minutes. Stir in the paprika, granulated onion, 3 tablespoons chili powder, cayenne and bouillon cubes. Slow-boil for another 30 minutes.

Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons chili powder, cumin and granulated garlic. Salt to taste. Boil another 30 minutes, adding water as needed to get the consistency you want (I didn't need any).

Serve with grated cheddar cheese and a slice of jalapeno pepper, if desired.

If you want beans, serve them on the side and don't call it chili.

I'm on the last 30 minutes right now. I like my chili a little thick, does it thicken up in the last 30 minutes??

There are a couple of tricks to thickening chili. Masa works good. You can also use finely ground corn chips to do this - just pulse them in a blender or food processor. Another trick is to use instant mashed potato flakes - not too many though. Mmmmm chili.

I'm on the last 30 minutes right now. I like my chili a little thick, does it thicken up in the last 30 minutes??

I've added a little masa flour to thicken up some batches.

How did yours turn out?

It turned out great. I thickened it up a little at the end (flour) and it was just how I like it. I had chili for dinner for the next 3 days!!!! Thanks!! :cheers:

Now Remember that this is a Marlboro Recepie from 1973

2 pounds Ground Beef

1 Medium Onion, Chopped

1 Clove Garlic, Minced

2 Pounds, canned tomatoes

2 Tablespoons, Chili Powder

1-1/2 Tablespoon, Salt

1/2 Teaspoon, Oregano

1/2 Teaspoon, Cummin Seed

2 Cans (15 oz) Pinto Beans

Cook Beef, Onions and Garlic until browned. Add all other ingredients except beans and simmer uncovered for 45 Min.

Add Beans and simmer for 15 Min. more.

Now this is the basic recepie. I have a tendecy to add/change ingredients for taste. More Garlic and Chili powder is always a must and I will vary the type of beans (tonight were pinquitos and kidneys). I also added a couple of fresh frozen Big Jim chilis for more flavor.

Note, I do not always add beans to the recepie, it just depends on the mood :devil: .

We also prefer to let this sit for at least 24 hours before serving.

As an asside, I do use this in scrambled eggs for a hearty breakfast burrito

Edited by Modoc

• 5 months later...

Here is another recepie that I am trying tonight. My brother came out from Lenexa for the Independence Day weekend and gave it to me.

Ingredients:

2½-3 lbs of pork tenderloin cut into 3/8 inch cubes

2 tbs. vegetable oil

1 large onion diced

6 cloves of garlic – pressed

6 jalapeño peppers roasted seeded and diced

4 Poblano peppers roasted seeded and diced

4 Serrano peppers seeded finely diced

6 4 oz cans of diced green chilies – divided in half

1 14 oz. can of chicken broth

2 10 oz. can green enchilada sauce

1 7oz. can green salsa verde

1 tbs. cumin

1 tbs. powdered green jalapeño (substituted Hot Mexican Chile Powder)

2 tsp. powdered green chili (substituted 1 tsp. white pepper)

Tabasco green pepper sauce for heat

2 tsp. corn starch for thickening

Salt to taste

Instructions:

Allow for 3 hours of cooking time

In a 6 quart pot, brown the pork in the vegetable oil and garlic. Add the remaining ingredients (using only half of the canned green chilies *) to the pot and simmer for 2 hours. You may need to add some water during the cooking time to keep the mixture covered.

With 30-40 minutes of cooking time left add the remaining green chilies *

10 minutes before the end of the cooking period adjust the thickness, salt and heat.

*the salt level drops each time you add the green chilies so be sure to check salt level and add salt each time as needed

Note: To roast the peppers place over open flame (gas burner or grill) and cook till skins blacken and blister. Remove from heat and place in a closed paper bag for 15 minutes. Skin can then be removed from the peppers by gently peeling or rubbing with a paper towel.

I am lookiing forward to this tomorow evening after it has had a chance to sit.

• 2 years later...

Turns out I never posted the recipe, whoops

2lb ground beef extra lean

1 med red onion

1 tea spoon minced garlic

1/2 tea spoon paprika

2 tablespoon chili powder

1 tablespoon cumin

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1 can diced tomatoes, partly drained

1 can tomato sauce

1/2 cup beef broth

1 can red kidney beans (optional)

1/2 teaspoon lea and Perrin Worcestershire sauce

Brown beef, onion, garlic in large frying pan, add worcestershire sauce.

In large stew pot add the other ingredients and combine.

Drain beef and add to stew pot

Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour stirring occasionally (clean guns)

Stir in beans, heat to boiling, reduce heat, cover and simmer (original recipe calls for 10 min, I like to simmer for longer (clean another gun)