Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9L or pro for competition

johes

Have any of you shot both the 9L and the pro in competition? With the 9L having a lighter slide, I wondered which you liked better. I had a pro and shot for a few months in IDPA and in a weak moment, sold it and went back to a glock 34. I'm thinking of going back to a long slide M&P and wonder if the lighter slide of the L would be a little quicker. Can you really feel a diffierence? Thanks,

Joe

Edited by johes

The difference isn't even a full ounce. I doubt you'd notice it.

IMO, the reason to purchase a 9L is that you know you'd replace the sights and work on the trigger if you bought a PRO. That's why I wound up with a 9L... which is wearing dawson sights, I worked over the trigger, stippled the backstraps, flared the magwell, refinished the slide...

In my case, paying extra for a PRO made no sense.

The difference isn't even a full ounce. I doubt you'd notice it.

IMO, the reason to purchase a 9L is that you know you'd replace the sights and work on the trigger if you bought a PRO. That's why I wound up with a 9L... which is wearing dawson sights, I worked over the trigger, stippled the backstraps, flared the magwell, refinished the slide...

In my case, paying extra for a PRO made no sense.

I had talked to Julie G about this and her opinion is to get a 9L unless your going to shoot it as is out of the box.

The Pro and the L have different sears. The L has a MIM sear and the Pro has a forged sear, from what I've heard. I don't like fiber optics sights yet, so I got the L and got a drop in sear from Randy Lee at Apex Tactical. If you are going to try to do your own trigger job, the MIM sear is much easier to ruin, as it's like an M&M candy. Hard coating on a softer internal metal. Just don't get too crazy with the file.

Seiichi

I purchased and shot a 9L for a short while when I thought I was going to make it into a limited gun. Then I decided to keep my STI for that and shoot the M&P in Production. So I sold my 9L and purchased a 9Pro and have shot about four or five matches with it. Believe me, if you can feel the difference in the slides, you need to be doing calibrations for NIST. I really can't tell the difference and I like the trigger and sights on the 9Pro as they are for the Production class.

If you are going to try to do your own trigger job, the MIM sear is much easier to ruin, as it's like an M&M candy. Hard coating on a softer internal metal.

Not true. The sear in the 9L is MIM but it through hardened, trust me I have cut through more than one or two ;)

The PRO has a machined sear not a forged and only slightly harder than the normal sear.

As for the 9L vs 9PRO. I shoot the 9L, of course I am using my own rear sight and it has a little trigger work.

00bullitt I'll get you the weights one of these days, You want just the slide weight. I know I have a stripped PRO here right now, but I'll have to see if I can find a 9L to strip down for you.

I shoot a 9L and a guy in our IDPA club shoots a Pro. I played with his at the last match and I couldn't tell a bit of difference between the two with the exception of the F/O sight on the front of his gun. I have a lot more round through the gun than he does and my trigger felt about the same and I never noticed a difference in the weight. I was surprised when I played with the pro.... I was expecting a noticeable difference but I couldn't detect one no matter how hard I looked.

I went with a 9L because I could find one but I always had a nagging concern that I might have made a bad decision. After playing with both side by side I know that I did the right thing (for me) and I no longer give it another thought.

I considered both, and bought the PRO. I like the sights just the way they are, and I'd have improved the trigger on both.

In fact, I swapped the PRO sear into my 9c, and sent the 9c sear off with Dan Burwell for work. I got a great trigger in both, for the price of one!

Dan suggested it...

Thanks, Dan.

Jeff

I still want to know the actual weight of the 9L slide without barrel or recoil spring assembly.

9L slide, DP sights (non adjustable).  Barrel, recoil spring and guide rod removed.  Striker assembly installed.

13.5 oz

Thanks Scott......you've helped me end my worrying. Basically they are the same weight.

My Pro with Dawson Adjustable sights is 13.7 ounces weighed the same way you did yours.....without barrel or recoil spring assembly but striker in place.

Thanks Scott......you've helped me end my worrying. Basically they are the same weight.

My Pro with Dawson Adjustable sights is 13.7 ounces weighed the same way you did yours.....without barrel or recoil spring assembly but striker in place.

I have had my 9L for about a year and I love it. So far, I shot about 10k through it. Just like the posters above, I went with the 9L because I knew I wanted to change out the sights anyway and wanted to get a trigger job. Great gun! :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

So the difference is roughly 113 grains? Just trying to use a measure that I can wrap my mind around.

I just weighed my 9L slide as well. Barrel and guide rod/recoil spring removed. I have Dawson fixed front and rear sites on the pistol.

Mine weighed in at 13.44oz.