Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drill I set up yesterday

Pro2AInPA

I set this drill up at the range yesterday to work on movement, movement while reloading, and transitioning from target to target.

The procedure was:

Start in Box A (Right) with gun loaded and holstered. At start signal, make movement to Box B (middle) and engage each 10 yard target with one shot. Move to Box C (Left) while performing a reload and engage each 20 yard target with one shot each.

4256669211_3c6566da90_o.jpg

Do you guys think this is an effective drill for working on the skills listed above?

Place barrel or table in front of box b. Gun and mag on table one mag on table one mag on belt with one round each. On signal pick up and load gun fire one shot into either target reload and fire one shot into remaining target. At 10 yards practice with and without acquiring dot or sights aka Instinct shot or point shoting.

From box C gun loaded and holstered on signal draw and engage each target with two shots each then reload and engage each target with 1 shot to the head. Par time < 4 seconds. Alternate drill from facing down range to facing up range.

Repeat from box C weak hand and strong hand.

That is a good drill, if I were using it during practice I would put two shots on each target, my first shot allmost allways is an A it's the second shot that I have trouble with. Just my 2 cents

The primary reason I engaged them with one shot each is that one of the primary goals of the drill was to work on transitions from target to target

• 3 weeks later...

I set this drill up at the range yesterday to work on movement, movement while reloading, and transitioning from target to target.

The procedure was:

Start in Box A (Right) with gun loaded and holstered. At start signal, make movement to Box B (middle) and engage each 10 yard target with one shot. Move to Box C (Left) while performing a reload and engage each 20 yard target with one shot each.

4256669211_3c6566da90_o.jpg

Do you guys think this is an effective drill for working on the skills listed above?

It's a good basic drill. As Boz1911 alluded to-you need to go right also. As long as you see "A''s and set par times for yourself it will help. I love it when people come up with drills.

It's OK for maintaining skills you have. I've got to ask how often you see box to box stages.

For learning new skills, or trying to make significant improvement, isolate the skill, and work on one thing at a time.

While you very seldom will see a sage with three boxes, you very often see them with a start box and two or more additonal shooting positions. I think this is a good drill to help develop your entry and exit technique from a position. You could put a target in front of the start box to give even more practice in this area. Or, if you're lazy like me, just use one or both of the ten yard targets. That way you would engage them twice from two different shooting positions and at two different angles.

Edited by XD Niner

From what I know, I think the practice drill looks good and am looking forward to trying it. The only qualm I have is that movement and mag changes can be practiced at home with dry fire drills. So, for someone who has limited range time (like myself) should we be spending a portion of the time practicing what can be practiced at home? This is a personal question and not meant to take away from your drill, just wondering for myself.

Edited by rwebb37

• 1 month later...

Good drill, I did something like this before, but both sets of targets were at the same range. I didn't consider near and far at the time, but I did use no-shoots to squeeze between the targets, limiting the A Area. I quickly learned that I wasn't ready for no-shoots, given the pace I was attempting. So I slowed down. But I'm going to give this drill a shot tomorrow.

Great drill, I like at the beginning and end of a practice to shoot groups for accuracy then work on the skill at hand. After practicing the specific drill try shooting only head shots to finish off for the day. Just a thought

Don't forget the bigger picture when setting up drills. If you practice one shot per paper, you risk getting sloppy in shot calling and that will come back to bite you. I'd also contend that the gun isn't necessarily reacting quite the same after one shot as it is after two, so you might get better at transitions after one shot (handy for steel), but feel a little "off" when you try two shots.

Personally, I like to isolate one skill that I'm working on per drill, but will sometimes combine two if I can work on both and gauge each one within a run (by the timer and hits). R,