Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My First 1911 Build

sperman

First of all, I have to give a huge amount of credit to George Huening, who mentored me through this project.  If he had $1 for every e-mail he answered he would be able to retire by now.  (Or at least quit his day job and go back to building guns.)  He also reamed the chamber and prepped the hammer and sear.  As for everything else, the credit or blame belongs to me.

It's built on an STI frame and slide. .40 S&W.  Even with the steel mainspring housing and magwell it comes in just under 42 oz.

IMG_3507.jpg

IMG_3512.jpg

A couple of unique features I wanted to add.

To help with slide bite, I radiused the bottom corner of the frame, and stopped the cocking serrations short.

IMG_3552.jpg

IMG_3523.jpg  

Edited by sperman

I welded together the grip safety and mainspring housing.  Who needs pins?!?  This allowed me to blend the grip safety to the frame.

IMG_3534.jpg

Because the mainspring housing didn't (couldn't) come out the bottom of the frame, I decided to weld the magwell right to the frame for a seamless fit.

IMG_3561.jpg

Finally, I decided to add serrations to the front of the trigger.  Once I know I'm happy with the length and style of trigger, I'll probably replace the SVI with a 1 piece trigger.

IMG_3539.jpg

In a perfect world I would spend another month or so polishing out scratches, and making sure everything fits just right.  But my hands are destroyed from the filing, sanding and polishing.  Plus the Single Stack nationals are just around the corner.  

I'm taking it to the range this weekend for one final function check, and then it's off to get hard chrome.

Nice work. I really like it. Post a range report when you test it out. What barrel did you use? Are you going with matte hard chrome? Can you show how the mainspring housing/beavertail/magwell looks removed from the gun? I'm wondering how you set it up to be able to change the mainspring. You might want to add a slight bevel to the magewell just at the front edge under the checkering. Just to remove that sharp corner.

Edited by 01G8R

Nice work. I really like it. Post a range report when you test it out. What barrel did you use? Are you going with matte hard chrome? Can you show how the mainspring housing/beavertail/magwell looks removed from the gun? I'm wondering how you set it up to be able to change the mainspring. You might want to add a slight bevel to the magewell just at the front edge under the checkering. Just to remove that sharp corner.

Schuemann barrel.  (Non-AET)

Yes to the matte hard chrome.  

Next time the gun is apart I'll take some pics of the GS / MSH, but that part isn't very pretty.  It wasn't meant for public consumption :rolleyes: .  Prior to welding the two together, I took a ball end mill and cut a groove along the path that the mainspring would need to exit the housing.  After welding I had to to some cleanup in that area.  Like I said, I'll post picks later.

I'll let you know how good it shoots once I get someone who knows how to run these things.  My groups are pretty bad, much worse than what I assume the gun is capable of.

Thanks for the recommendation on the sharp edge of the magwell.

Amazing how much work goes into a project like this. Well done. :cheers:

I had no idea how much time this would take.  On top of all of the nights and weekends before and after, I spent most of the week off I had at Christmas working on the gun.  I still need a vacation.

Amazing how much work goes into a project like this. Well done. :cheers:

I had no idea how much time this would take.  On top of all of the nights and weekends before and after, I spent most of the week off I had at Christmas working on the gun.  I still need a vacation.

Looks great! :cheers: Great build.

Wow! Great job Scott. Shoot it yet????? I can't wait to see it in person and check out the one piece MSH/GSafety.

I shot it last weekend and it ran good with my CMC .45 ACP mags and bullets loaded long for my limited gun. I'll have it at Columbia on Saturday, but just to make sure everything is good before I give it to Jeff for plating.

Wow! Great job Scott. Shoot it yet????? I can't wait to see it in person and check out the one piece MSH/GSafety.

I shot it last weekend and it ran good with my CMC .45 ACP mags and bullets loaded long for my limited gun. I'll have it at Columbia on Saturday, but just to make sure everything is good before I give it to Jeff for plating.

Sweet looking blaster!

Banks

Thank you Scott. From someone who pins the two together, these photos explain another option. I thank you. I wish you and this awesome looking blaster the best. Wow, did you ever do good stuff!

(ps...I'm stealing these photos...)

Paul B.

That is a great looking gun Scott, something to be proud of. I would like to build my won sometime. Good luck with it and keep us posted on how she runs.

I built this to take to the SS nationals.  I think I'm squadded with you and Paul.

very cool!!! unique ideas.....good job....it feels great to shoot something you built your self....easy to pay someone to make something for you, but priceless to do it your self.....I did one myself recently, and am just itching to do another....I bet you are too?

That is a great looking gun Scott, something to be proud of. I would like to build my won sometime. Good luck with it and keep us posted on how she runs.

I built this to take to the SS nationals.  I think I'm squadded with you and Paul.

I believe you are right. This will be my fist SS nationals and I cant wait. I have shot many other nationals but this will be my first big match with a SS.

very cool!!! unique ideas.....good job....it feels great to shoot something you built your self....easy to pay someone to make something for you, but priceless to do it your self.....I did one myself recently, and am just itching to do another....I bet you are too?

Right now I'm itching to send it to the plater and not see it for a week or two. :) It was a great experience and I hope to do another some day, but it won't be anytime soon.

Looks great Scott! Hope to see it at a match soon.

I'm shooting my M&P through the Florida Open, then there will be a big push to get comfortable with this in time for the Single Stack nationals. I haven't shot a 1911 since October of 2008. Hopefully it won't take long to re-adjust.

• 2 weeks later...