Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practice with lead, shoot matches with jacketed - good idea?

Pro2AInPA

I shoot lead bullets exclusively out of my competition pistol due to the drastic cost savings. However as we all know lead bullets tend to create quite a bit of smoke which can hinder performance as a result of trying to see the next target through the cloud of smoke. :mellow:

I load a 124gr flat nose lead bullet (9mm).

What I'm thinking is this:

I shoot a lot more rounds in practice than in actual mathces. Therefore, if I continue to shoot lead in practice I will continue to save significant money on ammo costs. What if I come up with a load using a jacketed bullet of the same weight with the same PF as my lead practice ammo and use the jacketed load for matches?

I can't think of any disadvantages to this plan. Can any of you?

Oh, and Happy New Year! :cheers:

The practice of using cast lead loads for practice is more prevalent with larger caliber/heavier bullets where the differential in actual cost per round is greater.

Currently I've started experimenting with 9mm coated bullets (125s and 135s) from Bayou Bullets and am thinking I am going to try the following over the next few months:

* For in-door shooting -- use Bayou Bullets (coated bullets) to control smoke. (In process of working out the load and my first trip to the range with my initial loads in both bullet weights look promising. Need to try them out at the next indoor club match.)

* For out-door shooting/local matches -- use cast bullets of similar weight using same powder and similar powder charge.

Need to see if this combo can maintain similar zero and velocity out of my CZ so that my "practice" rounds closely resemble the "match" rounds in relative accuracy as well as perceived recoil/cycling of the gun.

I did it until I felt the smoke was hindering my visual performance and I was also noticing a difference in "feel". Things like recoil impulse, comp timing and torque I started feeling. I don't think its an issue for some people and til later in your development.

I like these......>>>>>>>Berry's Preferred Plated Bullets or even Rainer... The price is great with no smoke....

Berry bullets prices are outrageous, unless you have some super secret discount I dont know about.

You mentioned in your post "Drastic" savings. you are either getting a really great deal on cast, or a really lousy deal on jacketed.

A quick search for 124's per k delivered.

Cast keads, $65

Moly/poly coated, $62

FMJ $72,

oh and Berry's $83

I have had less than stellar results shooting lead in 9mm. The hassel factor and dirt of dealing with lead and maintaining multiple ammo supplies looks like more trouble than it's worth

Edited by Joe4d

I know you quoted someone else but:

1. I get my cast bullets for $45/k at the local gun shop. A small outfit locally makes them.

2. Where are you seeing 124gr FMJs for $72 delivered? Last I checked the MG bullets were well over $100/k.

If I had to guess you are buying your cast bullets for $45.00 per 500, not per 1,000. The caster would loose his shirt at 45.00 per thousand..

Look for sales and buy in volume. I bought 10k Berrys from Cabela's on sale and even negotiated that price down. Can't remember what I paid but it was very affordable....same with MG when I order them....

I was getting Laser Cast lead swc for my 45 at around 50.00 per 500 delevered plus and xtra 1000 for every 5k ordered...I order Laser Cast in 10k quantity(sp) and is the only lead I shoot...

Good shooting--

2. Where are you seeing 124gr FMJs for $72 delivered? Last I checked the MG bullets were well over $100/k.

FYI: MG 124 FMJ are $292 for 3750 = $77.87/1k

That's just buying 1 case. Joe may be getting quantity discounts.

Edited by racerba

If I had to guess you are buying your cast bullets for $45.00 per 500, not per 1,000. The caster would loose his shirt at 45.00 per thousand..

Look for sales and buy in volume. I bought 10k Berrys from Cabela's on sale and even negotiated that price down. Can't remember what I paid but it was very affordable....same with MG when I order them....

I was getting Laser Cast lead swc for my 45 at around 50.00 per 500 delevered plus and xtra 1000 for every 5k ordered...I order Laser Cast in 10k quantity(sp) and is the only lead I shoot...

Good shooting--

You'd be guessing wrong. They're $22.50/500 plus tax.

I just bought some moly coated that I am going to try. I had been using Berry's that I had gotton before the huge price increases but I am almost out. I miss the days of getting them from cabela's for $68 per k shipped!

yep I get jacketed from Precision Delta, 72 is normal price, you can get em cheaper in larger quantities. Like I said you must be getting a great deal on cast. 45 per K is pretty good that much of a savings would be worth the trouble

Berry bullets prices are outrageous, unless you have some super secret discount I dont know about.

You mentioned in your post "Drastic" savings. you are either getting a really great deal on cast, or a really lousy deal on jacketed.

Wow I didnt know they had went up that much. Last I bought were much less than you mentioned.

I will admite I have not ordered any in a long while.

Berry made good bullets that were only slightly higher than cast, I had a local dealer that got them in by the pallet and I used them all the time, then they musta started gold plating them because the prices went sky high, way higher than bulk jacketed, I guess sombody soemwhere is buying them I just dont know who.

Surprised that no one else seems to be casting. I cast all my practice loads and save alot of money. Some say that it's a waste of time, but oddly enough, I enjoy the casting, and it gives me a feeling that I will always have bullets to shoot.

Try Black Bullets, they are coated. I have had good results with them. Remenber to lower you powder charge! Check'em out

blackbulletsinternational.com

I love these things!!! For practice, I'm shooting these with 4.2 gr of Win WSF and the smoke is NOT that bad...

Oh yeah, I'm shooting these out of my Glock G-17 with a LW bbl and they group good too!