Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Intro: New member inherited some gear

winstontj

Hello,

was sent here by another member. I recently inherited some equipment and I know very very little about firearms. When I was a kid I used to ski biathalon and was very active shooting long-ish targets (ski biathalon only) but recently I've moved to NYC and really have been out of the shooting picture for ~15 years.

So I guess I should say that the firearms are in a locked gunsafe in my storage unit in (State #1), the ammo is in a locked gunsafe in (State #2) and the firing pins and empty clips are in a third locked safe in (State #3). The reloading equipment is at a fourth location in a different state (State #4), unlocked but its just the press thing and some other stuff like measuring equipment but no powder or shells, etc.

The total is 37 firearms plus other various bits & parts, etc. that I assume are spares or things like stocks, optics and barrels for various purposes. 20 pieces are WWII vintage Mausers or WWII rifles - mostly German but I think 1 or 2 are US/British issue. All wood stock, some have been modified and most still have the German insignias burned into the wood/stamped into the metal. There are 8 pistols that look to be all German - the person who owned these was in europe and picked them up along the way before he came home. The newer stuff is really what I'm concerned about - the gear is mostly mid to late 1990's equipment and I believe it is all US Gov't issued equipment. There are two pistols - one looks like a showpiece but it has something to do with the Rangers I think and the other could be just a standard issued sidearm. The rifles are various - three are long, bolt action with big scopes and two are closer to what you would see in the movies, etc. All of the newer ones have tons of spare parts - stocks, barrels, optics, etc. and look as if they can shoot different calibers - but honestly I have no idea.

I live in NYC so obviously will not be bringing anything into the city. Right now I am not comfortable posting pictures since I really have no clue what this stuff is and what rules and regs need to be followed to own these things.

Could someone please reccomend me someone in the NYC area who I could show some pictures to that would be able to help and ID these things? I'd like to get to the point that I can register/own (legally) as much as possible and perhaps shoot some of these things. Every part was in shooting condition and maintained up until not too long ago.

Should I walk into my local police precinct and ask what the rules are to start a registration process and ownership process?

Thx for any help!

Edited by winstontj

Welcome to the board!

If you get pics I'm sure someone could help ID them.

Not sure about the NY thing...but I hesitate to send anyone into a PD to get current gun ownership info. ( no offense to our PD brethren ). But given the current climate of things... <_<

Hopefully our NY members can help you out.

Good luck! :cheers:

Welcome to the board!

Thx!

I'd love to be able to shoot some of the newer stuff (target/range only) but i'm mostly concerned with the stuff that might not be kosher for non-enlisted folks to own. I don't want to have to forefit anything but I also want to do things within the law, etc. since I have nothing to hide.

At a minimum I'd like to know what I have and try to value the items. The WWII stuff probably isn't worth much since it is so common but the newer US issued gear is what I want to be able to shoot - and what I'm most worried about.

If a lot of it is from WWII many GI's were allowed to take "things" back with them like that. He also could have just liked collecting WWII era firearms, many people do. :)

I would say the best thing to do is look through any paper records to see if there are bills of sale for the firearms or anything showing where they were purchased or brought back as "prizes." Also, some GI's were allowed to keep/purchase a sidearm or other firearm when they were discharged.

I bet most of it is legal where it is at right now, but I would *strongly* suggest looking up the firearms in question on the internet by their serial numbers or taking them to a gunsmith in an area those firearms are legal in and asking them about them. Some of the members in that area might even offer to come and take a look or direct you to a reputable gunsmith in that area to look at them.

There are also "gun bibles" available at the bookstores and such that can help in identifying firearms as well as give a little bit of history on that model. If you get a gun value book, in your situation I would strongly suggest one that lists the serial numbers in it to identify the production runs. The book may not help a lot with some of the WWII era guns but it should at least let you identify them a little bit more. One of those books helped me identify the gun my father had as a 1895 to 1905 S&W fourth model in .38 S&W by the serial number and a picture.

Edited by Classic_jon

For the newer firearms, I know you have to get a permit to own a firearm in the east coast.

I would start by calling a firearm dealer and ask basic questions. No big deal as long as you are honest.

Just my opinion, if it was me, I would sell some to gun collectors and get a real nice STI 2011 and shoot IPSC!

this sport is addictive..

winstontj,

I'm going to send you a PM...

btw - I'm located in MA.

I used to live in Charlestown on the Monument and just moved to NYC in June. Most everything is in a storage unit out by Wachusett area. Thx - looking forward to the PM.

As for selling it - I'd probably need to talk to family members first since they just came to me from a family member. I don't need 20 WWII mausers but I do really want to shoot the newer stuff.

winstontj,

btw - I'm located in MA.

I used to live in Charlestown on the Monument and just moved to NYC in June. Most everything is in a storage unit out by Wachusett area. Thx - looking forward to the PM.

As for selling it - I'd probably need to talk to family members first since they just came to me from a family member. I don't need 20 WWII mausers but I do really want to shoot the newer stuff.

OK - PM sent -

I too used to live near the Monument in College on High Street.

winstontj,

btw - I'm located in MA.

If you have an 8mm 98k Mauser in the bunch I would definitely be interested if you were looking to sell it. :D

If you have an 8mm 98k Mauser in the bunch I would definitely be interested if you were looking to sell it. :D

when i figure out what I have and get all my appropriate ducks in a row I'll post some pics and share. Everything "old" is all bolt action if it makes a difference.

Keep in mind - even if items are "common" ones. They might have some significance.

Just because it is an old issued "1911" or "old bolt gun" that seems common...there are always pieces that are more desirable than others i.e. certain serial numbers, dates, manufacturers...I can't advise you more than that unfortunately.

Good luck and let us know how it all works out

:cheers:

I'm going to start the permit process and speak to an attorney about gifting or entrusting the whole lot of items to a trusted individual (in my extended family) who has the required permits/permissions to possess these items.

Once I get that far I'll put up some pics, etc. and start to figure things out.

I would subscribe to the Blue Book of Gun Values Online Version. NYC is no longer a place for shooters or weapons. I know one private club you can shoot at if you have an owner's permit. But really NYC is no place to keep guns. There are several NYS shooters on this forum and any of them can help you. I would not walk into the local precinct with a gun question-they will take you straight to Bellevue. You can eventually do almost anything you want-it just costs a lot and you will probably need an attorney versed in firearms laws in NYC, NYS, and Federal. You may want to set up a trust in say- like-Putnam or Orange County. NYC, my hometown, is the epicenter of negativity regarding our sport. So just be careful. Do a lot of research online. NYS laws are online and NJ laws are online. Research Gun Broker and this forum. Good luck. DVC.

For the newer firearms, I know you have to get a permit to own a firearm in the east coast.

I would start by calling a firearm dealer and ask basic questions. No big deal as long as you are honest.

Just my opinion, if it was me, I would sell some to gun collectors and get a real nice STI 2011 and shoot IPSC!

this sport is addictive..

Huh?

Have I been out west too long? Permit to own a gun on the east coast?

You already own them legally. You probably just can't bring them to NYC legally.

I can claim ignorance about NYC laws, but I was under the impression that 'gun registration' and 'gun permits' were really a thing of TV and CSI, not an actual fact in most places. Everywhere I've lived, you only need to pass a background check when buying from a dealer, doing an interstate transfer, or (in some places) a gunshow private purchase. A background check is NOT registration (although many states do illegally retain the information). Dealers do keep a record of all sales, but do not enter them into some master database so big brother can track you down. All other transfers between people (face to face) do NOT require any paperwork. You can give them to a relative or friend or complete stranger (as long as it's face-to-face). Tracing a gun is really much more difficult than a 2 second computer search. The item must be tracked from manufacturer through the dealer to each owner.

This whole idea of 'gun registration' or 'permits' is BS in most places. Unfortunately NYC is one of them. Sure, if you want to bring them to NYC you're probably going to have to do some paperwork. What's the point? You can't really use them there anyway. I'd keep them somewhere more gun friendly and 'go see them' when you want to shoot. A quick search of the web found NYC fingerprint fees of $74 and processing fees of $170 per handgun (dated info, but fees never go down).

Edited by Jeff686

For what it is worth, NYC and NY have vastly different rules and laws. NYC Seems to ban virtually everything, NYS you can own many things although there are some restrictions.

I would strongly suggest investing a few $$ with a COMPETENT lawyer well versed in firearms law in whatever venue the firearms are going to remain in. You may need more than one if you want to bring some into NY (C or S).

Check with the New York affiliate of the NRA. Most affiliates usually have several attorneys on retainer that will answer basic questions and should be able to steer you in the right direction.

In some states IF the decedent specifically willed his firearms to you and if those firearms are/were legal you own them and no registration is required. HOWEVER to transport them to or from the range or other place where you can possess them, you may need a state issued Firearms ID card.

Disclaimer I am not a, and I have never played a Lawyer. Get competent advice, the A$$ you cave might just be your own.

Worry about the values and the rest after you determine how to possess legally. Do not take them to a gun store, many dealers will tell you what they really are worth, others will tell you that an original Walker Colt is just an old piece of crap and they'll take it off your hands for a hundred bucks. Many people have lost fortunes to the unscrupulous. After you get the possession figured out, do serious research with people you can trust to determine the values and to determine what pieces can be shot or should be shot or should be hung on the wall and looked at only, either for value purposes or for safety. many old guns are great shooters, others are unsafe at any speed.

Jim Norman

I

Wrong, NYC right but not the whole East Coast.

As far as I know there are no gunshops in NYC so I bet you will have to leave the city but that needs to be your first stop.

Ask for the shop owner, then find another shop and do the same.

After you have an idea of what you have consult a good Lawyer (as staited) about what you want to keep and what will be legal to be brought into NY State.

As for gifting, they are yours and unless I am mistaken (which I often am) you can do what you want with firearms in NC.

PM also on the way.

I

Wrong, NYC right but not the whole East Coast.

As far as I know there are no gunshops in NYC so I bet you will have to leave the city but that needs to be your first stop.

I have not lived in NYC since 1988 but back then there were several gun shops that I was aware of. Getting a shotgun and rifle license in NYC was not a big deal, just some paperwork. The license allowed you to purchase and own any any number of long guns. Not sure what the pistol situation was like as I was not into pistol shooting. I have heard that things have gotten much much worse in NYC since then.

• 2 weeks later...
In some states IF the decedent specifically willed his firearms to you and if those firearms are/were legal you own them and no registration is required. HOWEVER to transport them to or from the range or other place where you can possess them, you may need a state issued Firearms ID card.

Only your state and mine have that awful nonsense, Jim. No state besides NJ and IL have such permits.

First, welcome to the forum. :cheers:

Living in NYC poses a bunch of problems when it comes to gun ownership. Research the local laws first and then consult an attorney or the NRA.

It would be a good idea to inventory everything and record the serial numbers.

You say the WW2 stuff is all bolt action? Just make sure there is no automatic stuff mixed in.

I know of an elderly lady that had a full auto WW2 piece her late husband brought back from the war.

Calls to the NRA were very helpful. It ended up being rendered inoperative and donated for parts to the NRA museum. There was no legal way to own it without the correct paperwork being filed when he returned from Germany.

I work near Wachusett, MA and as a seeker of a US Springfield 03 would enjoy looking at what you have. Makes me feel kind of like the stranger showing up at the wake looking for a deal though by suggesting it.

There is a dealer close by that I have bought from who is fair on his sales. I assume he is also fair on estate purchases. He is very knowledgeable about military arms. Try contacting Joe Dube 978.368.0910 if you are considering the sale of some of these guns.

I work near Wachusett, MA and as a seeker of a US Springfield 03 would enjoy looking at what you have. Makes me feel kind of like the stranger showing up at the wake looking for a deal though by suggesting it.

There is a dealer close by that I have bought from who is fair on his sales. I assume he is also fair on estate purchases. He is very knowledgeable about military arms. Try contacting Joe Dube 978.368.0910 if you are considering the sale of some of these guns.