Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case Lube

.40AET

I just started using Hornady one shot case lube, and I am looking for everyones opinion. Should the case lube be cleaned off after reloading, and how. Or should it just be left on the cases. Will it cause feeding problems in .40 hi caps, or will it help the bullets feed better. My magazines all run great and I would hate to slow them down or get them gunked up with the case lube. Thanks

the problem with leaving lube on loaded ammo is that the case wall doesn't adhere to the chamber wall as well during firing. This increases standing breechface thrust on the firearm. Depending on the firearm involved and the operating pressures, this can lead to premature or excessive wear.

the problem with leaving lube on loaded ammo is that the case wall doesn't adhere to the chamber wall as well during firing. This increases standing breechface thrust on the firearm.

Does anyone have any original-source documentation on this? People keep bringing it up, but I've never seen the original data. I'm curious since there is some slight evidence to the contrary for the 1911 pattern.

Being a user but not an original-source documenter, I can say that I've left it on the cases of approx. 50 bazillion .40 cal. rounds for 12 years plus, (now you see why I'm a user not a documenter), while all the time shooting borderline loaded (high pressure) ammo (with Clays and V 320) and have never seen any evidence whatsoever of accelerated wear due to excess pressure or higher-than-normal slide speed.

I know that's not proof of anything, just my .02.

be

Where in the gun will indications of excessive wear show up? Is it where the slide batters the frame, or on the breechface itself? If the wear and tear is mainly on the breechface, and you replace the breechface every year, then would it be possible to never see signs of, or experience any type of excessive wear? I'm just curious, I would like my gun to last as long as possible without damage.

Thanks very much for all of the input.

Kirk

I usually tumble my lube off. I use the Dillon alcohol/lanolin spray and it just seems too sticky to leave it on there collecting dirt. The Hornady dries to a much lighter film.

I like opening a box of rounds in bright sunlight and having to squint 'cause they're so shiny.

Besides, I'm still trying to get a round to go off in the tumbler. I swear somebody told me years ago that it would happen any time now!

• 4 weeks later...

Well,

I FINALLY listened and used some One Shot on a couple of hundred .40 rounds tonight. Damn, when am I going to start listening sooner? Boy that's smooth. It felt like the cases were already sized! It was so good, my wife started being nice to me, the car is running better, the weather is warmer, the cat stopped stealing my chair, I won the Lotto, I got a date with Elle McPherson -- SLAP -- I mean the reloading went very smooth!

Thanks B and Everyone! Another great tip.

DVC,

Chuck

PS: And I am going to leave the lube on. Why stop listening now???? ;)

The problem with removing it is that if you use jhp bullets, the media tends to get stuck in the hollow point. The media then finds its way into the magazines and they do not like it.

Spray lightly and you will be OK.

One more benefit to this One Shot stuff: a cleaner press! Since the operation of the press is much less violent when the cases are lubed, there is reduced powder "dance" out of the case. I am loading a fairly full load and have had powder flying all over the place due to sizing violence and the sudden stop on indexing (550). Next I will attack the detent spring...

Thanks again!!!!!

DVC,

Chuck

The problem with removing it is that if you use jhp bullets, the media tends to get stuck in the hollow point. The media then finds its way into the magazines and they do not like it.

Try tumbling in Walnut media from Dillon. The media is so fine it comes right out of the hollow points. Put some case polish in with it, they shine up pretty nice. Works like a charm for me.