Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2010 Ozark 3 Gun Championships and 3 Gun Nation affiliation

I've finally had a chance to breath and am taking a moment to attempt to upload the results by stages. I didn't realize Kirk and my computer's were still having compatability issues....Hope everyone had fun

Stage 1 Results.pdf

Stage 2 Results.pdf

Stage 3 Results.pdf

Stg4Results.pdf

Stage 5 Results.pdf

Stage 6 Results.pdf

Stage 7 Results.pdf

Stage 8 Results.pdf

Edited by Ms. Kitty

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a plate spin again this year. That's 4 in two years. I would love to see something welded somewhere to stop it from happening. This year I was smart enough to not shoot at it again thanks to my camera man Chris screaming at me to STOP.

Aim at the center instead of the edge.

:)

Did you get a reshoot for range equip malfunction? I didn't have any spinning plates. I either hit them hard enough to clear the base or missed completely!

Factory 9mm ought be good enough to knock anything over with an edge hit. If the RO's just had the power to call a spun plate a hit the problem would be solved. It's not a huge problem it's just a flaw in an otherwise perfect match. If a popper won't fall or a plate won't come off the star you get a reshoot, right???

Next time I have one spin it's gonna get spun by hand as far as i can throw it. Waahahaha!

Edited by jtischauser

Earlier in this thread Ruf said the pistol/shotgun plates were 5x5's. I thought they were MGM targets but they are telling me they don't make those, even though their website says they do. So can anyone tell me for sure what size they are and where to get them?

Earlier in this thread Ruf said the pistol/shotgun plates were 5x5's. I thought they were MGM targets but they are telling me they don't make those, even though their website says they do. So can anyone tell me for sure what size they are and where to get them?

they were made @ a metal/welding shop

http://www.mgmtargets.com/products/product_page.php?cat=7

This is the link to MGM's targets. Ours were homemade. Jesse is just mad because we put some superglue on his the last two years...:roflol: . After talking to several folks, we are going to redo ours slightly to control the spin/splatter.

At first MGM said they didn't, then said they would, then said they can't. Then they called me back this afternoon and said they would. So at this point I have an order in. I'm glad it worked out and I am able to buy from them since they support so many matches. And for the record I didn't have a problem knocking any of them over, when they were hit anyway.

This is the link to MGM's targets. Ours were homemade. Jesse is just mad because we put some superglue on his the last two years...:roflol: . After talking to several folks, we are going to redo ours slightly to control the spin/splatter.

I didn't have any spin. I don't recall them spinning on Stage 6 which had 20 of them. If they were

hit properly, they fell. If the stand was hit, sometimes they fell too. Not using enough choke, enough

load, or enough aim is usually the problem (or a combination of the three). I used either a LM or M choke

the entire match, and heavier shot when I knew I would take a longer shot. Seemed to work fine.

Not sure why they should fall with an edge hit. Poppers don't necessarily fall with edge hits but everyone pretty

much accepts the fact their shot was off.

Craig

I didn't have any spin. I don't recall them spinning on Stage 6 which had 20 of them. If they were

hit properly, they fell. If the stand was hit, sometimes they fell too. Not using enough choke, enough

load, or enough aim is usually the problem (or a combination of the three). I used either a LM or M choke

the entire match, and heavier shot when I knew I would take a longer shot. Seemed to work fine.

Not sure why they should fall with an edge hit. Poppers don't necessarily fall with edge hits but everyone pretty

much accepts the fact their shot was off.

Craig

That's my point!!! If you hit the edge of a popper it doesn't fall and you get the opportunity to shoot it again and knock it over albeit with a 2-3 second addition to your time to reshoot at it not the 10 second penalty for not being able to shoot it again and try to knock it over because its sideways.

The folks at the Pan American shotgun match used the same plate/stand setup and they called any plate that turned past 45° a hit for the shooter. Range equipement problem solved. :cheers:

I did see a plate get knocked over and landed flat on it face on a stand on stage 6. The IPSC/USPSA stands with the lip would cure that as well, I think.

Edited by jtischauser

I didn't have any spin but I did have one jump. Went straight up an inch then came back down on the base. Had to check afterward with the RO that I wasn't seeing things. I would strongly suggest not using these plates again. At least not in the current setup. I know a lot, and I mean way more than usual, of people that were hit with frags off these little plates. At least two had to go to the hospital to get crap fished out of them. I took one in the throat that drew a little blood and several others that just hurt like a mother. My guess is that the current design is causing the issues. When you hit steel the splash comes off in about a 10 degree arc. I think if you hit these little buggers low, that 10 degrees is getting onto the lip and funnelling it back to the shooter. I think the small surface area of the plate is probably making this more apparent. I didn't see this problem with the 5" rounds at R&R. But they have less plate at the bottom to cause that lip ricochet. It's definitely not just shooting them too close. Lund's shot was about 20 yards out and he still ended up in the ER. If you want to keep using 5" squares, try mounting the base to the back of the plate, (L shape). I think that would resolve a lot of the issues.

I think it's appropriate calling a turned and basically, unavailable, steel a hit. I just didn't see it happen this year at this match, or I should say on the stages when I shot or ROed. Even FNH match in Fayette had the plate issue resolved after the fiasco in 2009.

A couple of plates did flip and land on the stand face down on Stage 6. I called every one of them a hit while I was ROing for all but a few hours Sunday AM.

Craig

Edited by spd522

I think it's appropriate calling a turned and basically, unavailable, steel a hit. I just didn't see it happen this year at this match, or I should say on the stages when I shot or ROed. Even FNH match in Fayette had the plate issue resolved after the fiasco in 2009.

A couple of plates did flip and land on the stand face down on Stage 6. I called every one of them a hit while I was ROing for all but a few hours Sunday AM.

Craig

I saw one face down when RO'ing your stage on Sun, I counted a hit. Thought nothing of it. It is good to get all the opnions on 5x5s, it helps to do better next time.

I would like to see something done to minimize the 5x5s from shooting back.

Having said that, I really enjoyed these as both pistol and shotgun targets. This is the 1st match I've shot that used these for most of the pistol targets and I liked the challenge.

Some matches specifically say plate MUST fall to score, some don't. If the plate has turned, or even fallen over and laying flat, there is always the stand to shoot at. :)

I don't care if it is counted or not, just make it the same on all stages.

I know its hard to make sure everything is treated the same at a match, so I'm not criticizing.

It was a great match, and I'm looking forward to shooting it next year.

I know its hard to make sure everything is treated the same at a match, so I'm not criticizing.

noted, I appreciate your patience.

Thank you all for your comments. Many target issues have made way for a better match next year. Redesigned targets are only a couple of the great new things that will be different next year.

Just a teaser, one of the props will be hauled in by semi next month.

On stage 2, a plate that was hit, and fell down on the stand, and did not fall off the stand was NOT considered a hit.

Happened to Nick, after seeing it counted on other stages, he moved on, and got the FTN.

On stage 2 if the steel did not fall it was not neutralized. I understand that it was scored differently on different stages but since we were unaware of that at the beginning we had to continue scoring it that way for the remainder of the match to acheive consistency for everyone who shot stage 2. Since we knew it was scored differently on other stages we stated on the walkthrough that if the steel did not fall it would not be neutralized. This was the only way to keep it the same for everyone. I'm sure next year they will all be scored the same.

Edited by Mattog22