Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2010 Ozark 3 Gun Championships and 3 Gun Nation affiliation

On stage 2, a plate that was hit, and fell down on the stand, and did not fall off the stand was NOT considered a hit.

Happened to Nick, after seeing it counted on other stages, he moved on, and got the FTN.

That was me, I was the CRO on stage 2, and I was the one that made those calls. I was consistant throughout the match on my stage, but found out later that other stages were calling those hits. I am sorry for the inconsistancy. My reasoning was that steel had to fall to score, and technically it was still on the stand. In every case that I saw, the shooter had actually hit the stand, not the target itself, and the target magically landed flat on the top of the stand. On other stages we were told shooting the stand was a no-go [think about center punching the shotgun spinners and knocking them all off] so I applied the same rationale to my stage. I did have 2 shooters manage to pick up the target by shooting it again, so while it was a more difficult shot, I wouldn't call it impossible.

If any shooters are peeved at me for being a hard-scorer, you can take solace in the knowledge that Karma caught up to me and I ended up catching splatter from almost every shooter, and counted 15 separate places on my arms and torso where I bled for the cause. To make matters worse, I also managed to find some poison ivy along the way, and am STILL dealing with that. So, whatever bad juju I built up, instant karma got me back.

On a positive note, here are my match videos for everyone to gain joy and humor from my ineptness:

http://www.youtube.com/barrysuperhawk

I also have some video of another RO that wanted it, but cannot seem to find his email address, so email me dude...

Edited by barrysuperhawk

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On stage 2, a plate that was hit, and fell down on the stand, and did not fall off the stand was NOT considered a hit.

Happened to Nick, after seeing it counted on other stages, he moved on, and got the FTN.

That was me, I was the CRO on stage 2, and I was the one that made those calls. I was consistant throughout the match on my stage, but found out later that other stages were calling those hits. I am sorry for the inconsistancy. My reasoning was that steel had to fall to score, and technically it was still on the stand. In every case that I saw, the shooter had actually hit the stand, not the target itself, and the target magically landed flat on the top of the stand. On other stages we were told shooting the stand was a no-go [think about center punching the shotgun spinners and knocking them all off] so I applied the same rationale to my stage. I did have 2 shooters manage to pick up the target by shooting it again, so while it was a more difficult shot, I wouldn't call it impossible.

If any shooters are peeved at me for being a hard-scorer, you can take solace in the knowledge that Karma caught up to me and I ended up catching splatter from almost every shooter, and counted 15 separate places on my arms and torso where I bled for the cause. To make matters worse, I also managed to find some poison ivy along the way, and am STILL dealing with that. So, whatever bad juju I built up, instant karma got me back.

On a positive note, here are my match videos for everyone to gain joy and humor from my ineptness:

http://www.youtube.com/barrysuperhawk

I also have some video of another RO that wanted it, but cannot seem to find his email address, so email me dude...

Barry, you are a true warrior of an RO. You rock!

To make matters worse, I also managed to find some poison ivy along the way, and am STILL dealing with that.

Damn is that was this crap on my leg is? Wife's got me going to the Dr. on Thursday because she thinks my legs gonna rot off. And daammmmmmmnnnnn it itches.

To make matters worse, I also managed to find some poison ivy along the way, and am STILL dealing with that.

Damn is that was this crap on my leg is? Wife's got me going to the Dr. on Thursday because she thinks my legs gonna rot off. And daammmmmmmnnnnn it itches.

Now I know how chuck finished so well on stage 2. A little tussle in the bushes with Barry!!! Lol.

Sorry to hear the poison ivy got you guys.

The target breaking, hits not getting called consistently, targets not reacting similar for everyone seem to be some if the issues that all matches have. It was quite obvious that the match staff did the best they could to keep everyone safe and run a fair match. Let's all learn from what we saw and did and make the next match we run/shoot better. Simple as that.

Thanks again guys. Thus was the best match I've shot thus far despite my scores.

Can't wait to see what's on that semi trailer!

Edited by jtischauser

If I could add comments,

Usually it's only a couple stages where the ROs are doing things differently. Most of the time they are helping you out as much as possible. I've RO'd before and it's a long day but you have to stick with it.

The situation that got me was on stage 5. They were trying to get people through as fast as possible.

I went up to the line and was told to put the shotgun in the bucket. I figured OK since I'm still holding onto my rifle.

He holds the rifle as I am told to put a mag in the pistol while it's still in the holster. Then he lets me take a sight picture with the rifle and then I get handed off to the RO with the timer.

I can't remember who said I could put a rifle mag in and then it's go time.

I must have been confused :wacko: or something since I didn't put a round in the chamber of the rifle to start and I still had a chamber flag in my shotgun when I went for it. I think in the back of my head I thought I was going to get a look at my shotgun before starting.

I'm sure it's my fault all around but it just would've been nice for the RO to ask me if I really wanted to start with a chamber flag in and maybe remind about being able to start hot w/rifle since I never racked a round in.

I know there's always a varying degree of RO experience/rational at every match so if it's possible for next year's Ozarks match(or any other match), I would gladly pay a little more to have all the ROs get together the night before at a beer party or whatever and go over how everything is to be scored, consistent range commands, and how to make the match the most enjoyable/smooth as it can be.

I could definitely tell most of the time(I.E. stage 9)that the ROs were waiting to hear the hit before calling it on the hanging targets. Don't know what you can do on those. Maybe attach a bell to them? Some of those 55 grn 223 loads don't make much noise over the sonic crack going downrange.

I was impressed that most of the stages were on time or ahead of time. We only had a long wait on one stage that I can remember.

I do applaud the match for being preload/safe area friendly. Though the preload areas could have used something more than old targets to keep the long guns outta the dirt. At the USPSA Multigun nat'ls some ROs were yelling at us not to go near the preload table(after preload) until it was your turn to shoot. I forget what the penalty was but totally unneeded.

I was great to be able to drive to each stage. I'm glad we knew ahead of time that carts weren't needed.

As for the plates about the only thing I can think of to minimize spinning and such is to have a better base and/or plate design.

One of the other problems I hope gets fixed was the amount of shrapnel coming back from the pistol rounds.

The first stage we shot(stage 8) I got nailed in the left arm and was bleeding but it felt like almost every shot was sending something back. I don't mind shooting myself but I'd hate to hurt an RO.

I don't know if they are too heavy or the bases are too wide??--Plates that is :cheers:

At the 3-Gun Nation shootoff in Vegas some of the plates were tilted back and they seemed to work OK but I'm sure there's a bunch of ways to get em to go over without spinning but the splashback is going to be hard to get rid of.

My only REAL disappointment had to do with my shooting/prep and like everyone else I also look forward to shooting the third Ozarks match.

Nick

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Kirk,

I hope you are healing up well. Many thanks for helping put on what I personally felt was one of the best (if not the best) matches of the year. I put the 2011 match on my calendar as soon as I got back from this year's match. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

• 1 month later...