Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need to buy a Limited Gun

grkmec

Strong C-level shooter here shooting limited minor with a Sig X5 Tactial. I am looking to buy a .40 Limited gun. I don't really have a budget and willing to pay up if it makes sense. The bare minimum I am considering is a Brazos HP Edge. Also thinking about the Brazos SC. Very open to other custom limited guns. I know my question is somewhat vague but it is because I have no idea what I want. Help me do some Christmas shopping!

I purchased the Brazo's HP Edge a couple of years ago. VERY happy! The gun is accurate, runs like a champ (as long as I don't induce any problems)....and looks good! ;)

Plus...the customer service is awesome!

+1 on this. I got my HP EDGE from Brazo's last May. I have not regretted it for a minute. There was just no break-in necessary and it has never had a bobble that was not shooter induced. I would reccommend that you go ahead and get the tuned mags with it.

You might want to contact velocityshooter.com about a Bedell Custom Limited pistol. Dan does terrific work and you wouldn't be disappointed. He's built an open, limited and single stack gun for me and they are like works of art! Many of our local shooters have Bedell Custom guns and wouldn't shoot anything else. I would recommend a flat trigger Aftec extractor and thumb shield safeties. Dan will go over all sorts of other options with you. Email me if you'd like to see photos of my guns. Hope this helps.

I wasn't sure if you meant a limited gun by brazos, but there is a guy by the name of Benny Hill at Triangle shooting Sports, that does an excellent job building guns.

Willing to look a limited guns by anyone. Brazos just happened to be the first ones I have looked at.

I recommend SVI. One nice attribute for SVI is that they are big enough that they build their custom pistols for some stocking dealers. So you get a custom pistol without a 3 month wait. I had one minor hicup with my gun new and they fixed it right away and they paid the shipping. Pleasure to deal with. Fast warranty service.

I would recommend a quality smith that is local to your area. As with any custom item, sometimes they need some fine tuning and it sure is nice to drive your gun over to get it looked at and not have to send it somewhere in the mail. I've had 2 custom guns built by John Larson, JPL Precision and they run perfect, but I had a screw fall out of one (my fault not his) after several thousand rounds and he fixed it for me at a match. It's that personal service that makes the difference for me.

Doug

Benny let me shoot one of his 6" Fat Free guns at the MG Nats last year (I was working Stage 10) and it was really sweet. Make sure you get to shoot some different guns before you start cutting metal. I would probably do a light 6" if I was building a new gun.

Doug

I would go with a stock STI Edge. Get someone near you to install an Aftec extractor and an extended firing pin and maybe a little trigger work. Then you can take all the money you saved and practice with it i.e. bullets,powder and brass. I like custom guns and wish I could afford one but I know that they will not get you out of C class. If you must I would look at SVI, they always seem to run.

All of the above suggestions are good. The Bedell, Brazos, Briley, Millennium Custom, JV Dynamics, TSS, EGW and a several others are all good guns. Right now though the best deal by far is with JP Enterprises. Go to the dealer forum and check the SVI guns they have in stock. SVI built guns are by far one of the best guns you can buy. Finding a dealer with them in stock and ready to ship is the icing on the cake. You are looking at a wait of several months or over a year from most others. I've owned 2 SV's and several STI's and shot and handled guns from Briley, Brazos, Millennium Custom, EGW, and TSS. The SV's are by far the best. The others are good but I'd give almost anything to have my SV's back. You will not be sorry if you buy one of the SV"s that JP has in stock. The guys at SV are very helpful as well and stand behind their product. Lets face it you really don't want just another plastic grip gun when you could have a wicked SV with the new metal grip. Good luck with your decision.

I don't really have a budget and willing to pay up if it makes sense.

I have a refurbished G22 that is perfect for your needs, and I'll even let you have it for $500 less than any of the other suggestions you've received so far. Let me know, and you can send me certified funds for $1800 and I'll ship it to your local FFL :rolleyes: Look forward to hearing from you. Ciao for now.

-br

A good way to get into limited for less money is the Tanfoglio witness limited.

Its a fun gun to shoot and something different in a sea of S*I.

Although I do have 2 Bedell's and a Cheely gun and they both just flat out rock, definitely worth the cash and wait

Keep watching the classifieds here ....... there's usually a good Limited gun for sale every week or so it seems.

Let me know if you see one Chris! :rolleyes:

I did not see Dawson Precision mentioned. ??

Another +1 for SVI. You can build a gun to your specifications on their gun builder or order from a stocking dealer as mentioned above. Like everything in the world its personel preference so see if ya cant shoot a variety of guns before you buy.

The one "problem" with that is that there are so many options on Gunbuilder that it can be overwhelming for someone who doesn't really know exactly what they want. Granted, that's a good thing for many folks, it can be a little intimidating. I'm sure a call to SV would help make it less of a concern for some folks. R,

Another +1 for SVI. You can build a gun to your specifications on their gun builder or order from a stocking dealer as mentioned above. Like everything in the world its personel preference so see if ya cant shoot a variety of guns before you buy.

The one "problem" with that is that there are so many options on Gunbuilder that it can be overwhelming for someone who doesn't really know exactly what they want. Granted, that's a good thing for many folks, it can be a little intimidating. I'm sure a call to SV would help make it less of a concern for some folks. R,

true, but if you dont know what something is generally you can click on it, ie slide profile, radial flute, hammer type and it will show you the options. Not everything works but f r the most part, if your not sure it will show ya. So if you wanna see the differnce between a 3 sided slide and a 5 where it says Slide Profile, just click that and it will give yor a picture of the options. Calling and talking to someone is always nice too.

Edited by converse15