Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"the Last Samurai"

Very deep thinking in this movie. BE would like it a lot. So would a lot of people on this forum, I'm guessing.

Several outstanding examples of Zen thought (or no-thought) in words, and without words too.

My favorite really was Capt. Algren's take on karma, it's almost West-meets-East:

"You do all you can, until your destiny is revealed."

You're so lucky to have seen this movie. I've been waiting months to see it and now it comes out and we get burried with over 3 feet of snow. Damn I hate living in New England. Now I have to wait another 5 days to see it. I can't wait. I've studied the Samurai for many years now and they are handsdown my favorite warriors of all time. Did the movie do them any justice?

How was Tom Cruise?

Pistol...

The one kendo scene was great. Algren's guard gave him a bitching for getting beat, something to the effect of: "You have too many minds. Mind the opponent, mind the next move, mind the people watching. No Mind!" Something I personally need to work on at times.

Saw it last night.. it's not excellent like Secondhand Lions, but is a good movie. Dragged a bit in spots, but it's worth it.

(and yes, it is possible that the Japanese troops had bolt-action rifles in 1878..)

Well, I finally got to see it tonight. This was the best movie I've ever seen. I've been studying the Samurai for the longest time and have always had such a fascination with them. The movie def. did a great job showing the Warriors spirit and the mindset of the most interesting warriors the world has ever known. I give this move 2 thumbs up and can't wait to own it on DVD.

Pete :ph34r:

• 4 weeks later...

You might like it in spite of Tom. I did and do not care for him either. Open Range was good even with Kevin Costner and I always thought the only movie he was right for was Dances with Wolves. He has enough charisma to lead a fort with no troops........

The one kendo scene was great. Algren's guard gave him a bitching for getting beat, something to the effect of: "You have too many minds. Mind the opponent, mind the next move, mind the people watching. No Mind!" Something I personally need to work on at times.

Exactly!! That was the scene that hit me the most! It totally related to "my" shooting, as well as other's apparently.

Cruise's character was getting whooped pretty good when a young man told him that basically he was thinking about too many things when he was battling. He wasn't shooting in the now! He was ego'ing his way around.

You know when you get to the start position and......

Brian, it's worth $7 to see. That doesn't mean you have to like it! ;)

I haven't seen it because I have no use for Tom C whatsoever. Can anyone who's seen it relate? If so, should I suck it up and see it anyway?

be

I didn't like TC, until I saw Vanilla Sky or Magnolia (can't remember which one I saw first), so I can relate I think. I'd suck it up and go anyway.

I saw it yesterday and I found it a very impressive and beautiful movie. I was a little hesitant to go and see it, because of my earlier experiences with movies that had anything to do with Japan made by American directors. But this one is different. Absolute beauty.

Brian,

I was a very slow sell on Tom Cruise. I first saw him, way back when, in Risky Business in the theatres. I know a lot of people loved that movie, but to me it just seemed boring. Then I saw him in Top Gun. I could see why he was a star, the good looks, the great smile, the personal presence, but he still didn't do it for me. I thought Anthony Edwards as Goose was much more impressive. I stayed away from Tom Cruise movies for years. Then I saw Jerry Maguire and he blew me away. I was like, "Oh my God....this guy can actually, really act." Then I saw Vanilla Sky. The movie, and Cruise, were both just frickin' incredble. Dude, you need to see this movie. Given your personality, I guarantee you'll love it. This thing makes a Jim Jarmusch film look straightforward.

• 3 months later...

Sorry to be the contrarian but I could not get over the fundamental flaw of this movie. Like Dances with Wolves, this movie tries to depict how American culture is desperately lacking. The tragic hero has been punished and abused by American culture which lacks the ability to provide him enlightenment, relief, or moral sustenance. Once he meets up with a foreign culture goes native and adopts its ways, he then goes on to achieve bliss, happiness, enlightenment etc. etc. For the other culture is superior to the one he has left.

I actually have nothing against the critiques of American culture but these movies always focus on the flaws. But my biggest issue is how these movies COMPLETELY romanticze Plains Indian culture or Samurai culture and COMPLETELY ignore the dark sides, of which there are PLENTY.

Sure it was great to be a samurai but as with other feudal political and social organizations, the samurai existed at the top of the pyramid. Their system allowed for no social mobility (once a peon always a peon and if you try to raise your status, off with your head) or individual rights for the lowly peasantry, and it stifled free inquiry and thought (no questions!). The Last Samurai does not show you the bottom of the pyramid, the myriad of peasants slaving away to support this feudal edifice. Tom Criuse never spends 12 hours in a rice paddy before practicing his swordsmanship.

The movie also fails to note how the Cult of Death practicised by the Samurai goes on to be the basis for the excesses of Japanese militarism in the 20th century. While the treatment of Indians may be a black mark in American history, it comes nowhere near the level of Japanese behavior in China, Korea, the Philippenes.

Despite all of this, I did think it was a good flick. It was no Seven Samurai or Throne of Blood however. And please note how Kurosawa movies are not afraid to show the dark side of the samurai world.

It was too close to the old minseries Shogun for my taste. I kept thinking they would start calling him Anjin-san. And the scene in which Anjin, I mean, Aldren, defends the warlord from the ninja assassins? Total Shogun rip-off!

I wish it would have done a better job at being a Don Quixote type movie wherein the old-fashioned protagonists tragically resist the inevitable changes of progress and modernization. (E.g., Gangs of New York, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Bonnie and Clyde, The Wild Bunch, etc.)

kellyn, I too was surprised by the complete lack of depiction of the peasant side of the feudal system. But remember it's a work of entertainment, not a documentary or history or biography. Going deeper into the aspects of feudalism would have detracted from the movie.

I've been spooling to see it, but now I feel a lull coming in.

;)

Thanks for the breakdown Kelly.

Other than discipline, there's not a whole lot about the "code of the Samurai" I'm a big fan of.

be

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the movie last night and, whilst I enjoyed it, I would rate it behind Shogun. Another favourite East-West clash movie is "The Red Sun" which starred Charles Bronson and Toshiro Mifune (not to mention Ursula Andress).

I watched the movie last night and, whilst I enjoyed it, I would rate it behind Shogun. Another favourite East-West clash movie is "The Red Sun" which starred Charles Bronson and Toshiro Mifune (not to mention Ursula Andress).

"Red Sun", now there's a blast from the past. I loved it and saw it a couple of times.

I never really enjoyed "Shogun" the movie but then I had read the book 4 times and I don't think the movie did it justice. I recall when I had just finished the book the first time I felt a tranquility which I hadn't expereienced before.

Perhaps I should read it again.

I enjoyed "The Last Samurai" but I tried to watch it just as a movie rather than as anything much deeper.