Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Circleville's newest CRO

FranDoc

Paperwork came in today's mail; it's official. Circleville has another CRO in the ranks!

MANY thanks to mentor Perry Wilson (I did the correspondence course).

Thanks to RMI's Jay Worden and Gary Stevens for their pre-course words of instruction, guidance and encouragement.

If enough people are interested, I'll coordinate another RO-Level 1 AND/OR CRO class this coming summer. We'll need about 20 people to make the class "go". Send a message if interested in either class in Ohio in 2010. I'll check with Conrad to see if we can host at Circleville again.

Yes, it's "worth it"!

Thanks, guys.

I think it was a little harder doing it via correspondence -- no face-to-face feedback with the instructor. We managed to make it work via email (with AOL being finicky on occasion). I can definitely see the advantage to doing the CRO course in a group setting with an on-site instructor. Jay Worden had told me that would be the case.

I've had a couple of inquiries on a 2010 CRO class. I have a message in to NROI to determine when we could do that for the people who took the June 2009 RO class. Once I get an answer to that, I'll post it in the "class" forum. Looks like it might have to be around October, but the weather is still decent for travel then, and there's no outdoor range exercise required. That's also after the major matches, so students will have time to do the take-home course work. That's why I did my class after the OH Sectional/IPSC National match.

Will advise when I hear from NROI. In the meantime, people interested in that class might want to look at next October and see what time you'd have available.

As an RO, you can take the class at any time. You do have to be an RO (level I) for a full year before you can get promoted to CRO (Level II).

My understanding is that you can do all that needs done...then when you year as RO is meet, you can be promoted to CRO.

As an RO, you can take the class at any time. You do have to be an RO (level I) for a full year before you can get promoted to CRO (Level II).

My understanding is that you can do all that needs done...then when you year as RO is meet, you can be promoted to CRO.

Kyle, thats exactly what all us Dayton guys did a couple years ago. :)

Per NROI.org: "You must have a minimum of a year's certification as a Range Officer before either taking the CRO seminar or beginning the CRO correspondence course."

Not able to start the correspondence course OR attend the CRO Seminar for certification before you have one full year as a certified RO. I have a message in to NROI to explicitly clarify whether that "one year" starts as of the date of the original RO class or if it's from the certification date on the RO card. I believe it's the latter.

If a CRO class is held in OH on a range other than C'ville, and if that range would like some assistance with coordination, just let me know. I've coordinated two Level 1 classes and it DOES get easier with experience.

lThats just hear-say Fran. Ask Perry Wilson, as he was our instructor for the CRO class, held at the Holiday Inn by the Dayton Mall. There must have been 5 or more of us who were not at the 1 year mark.

Edited by Chris Keen

Per communication with a member of the RMI cadre this evening, the current policy re: CRO class eligibility, is as follows:

"The rules are: You have to be a Level 1 RO for a year before you can attend a class or take the correspondence class. This is a hard and fast rule that we will not bend on. The year starts from the time the student is granted RO status."

People who were in the March 2008 class in Canton (or a previous class) can take the CRO course any time. People who were in the June 2009 class in Circleville will need to wait until Sept/Oct 2010.

There's interest in a class. Now all we need to determine is who wants to host ...? See the NROI website for costs, minimum number of students, etc.