Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bill Drill times

GMyers

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JThompson:

I am certainly not being critical of anything you or anyone else on the board is doing. I was simply defining what I mean by cold and on demand. FWIW, I don't recall ever having shot a 1.2 second Bill Drill and I doubt I ever will. The Internet can be a really poor method of communication and I apologize if I came across wrong.

Ron

JThompson:

I am certainly not being critical of anything you or anyone else on the board is doing. I was simply defining what I mean by cold and on demand. FWIW, I don't recall ever having shot a 1.2 second Bill Drill and I doubt I ever will. The Internet can be a really poor method of communication and I apologize if I came across wrong.

Ron

Don't sweat it Ron... it's easy to miss the tone with the written word. I think the 1.2 is within reach, but I see no reason to make the reach. :) What would be the point other than to post it here under a, "Aint I good/fast" thread. ;)

Best,

Jim

OK I forgot to define cold.......I just do what I normally would when I shot any stage........turn on dot.... a couple draws.....play with my mags……mentally get ready.

The speed issue for this is really deceiving……….when you reach for it……it seems you always miss it………….I found that 1.7-1.8 or better on this is more than adequate.

I think the real goal is being able to truly see this and repeat that awareness level on demand at a match.

Just my 2

Martin

Because developing the ability needed for the draw, splits, and accuracy are useful on absolutely every stage in every match.

Also it is good to push the limits every once in a while.

Jake,

Let me qualify that a bit... I see no need to spend hours knee deep in brass until I get some crazy fast time and then post it here. I don't mean to say that a BD has no purpose. In fact I found I need to shoot it more often to help me from freezing the trigger.

Jim

Doing this drill and increasing yardage is a good way to see things that you would not normally. I still enjoy the occasional one at 50 yards. That one slows way down.

50 yards.... Pull a tooth for each hit out of the A zone.

The Thrill Drill. :ph34r:

I do that and I would have to sit on the porch with a banjo... :)

There is a video on youtube of a master class liminted shooter doing a 1.11 on a steel ipsic target. Look up bill drill on youtube.

Very fast trigger and impressive shooting.

I see 4 issues.

It should be surrender start.

I don't think he hit one A? Ok maybe one but I don't think so

Is it me or does he point shoot? gun looks low but it might be the angle. If its point shooting parlor trick then I'll keep practicing the way I do cause that translates into match wins.

He mumbles something like "I nailed it that time" Was this the first or 55th run?

Still enjoyed seeing great shooting.

Doesn't surprise me... I was impressed it was a limited. I wonder what PF those loads were? I think some of the fastest could do it under a second with practice and an open gun... that is if you don't have to worry about As.

A 1 sec Bill Drill and the sub 3 sec El Prez...well, Jake and a very few others pressed 3 sec pretty hard and it will one day be done, but I don't know about a 1 sec BD...Assuming .5 for the draw, that leaves 6 shots in .08+/_ ea....not sure about that

Doesn't surprise me... I was impressed it was a limited. I wonder what PF those loads were? I think some of the fastest could do it under a second with practice and an open gun... that is if you don't have to worry about As.

A 1 sec Bill Drill and the sub 3 sec El Prez...well, Jake and a very few others pressed 3 sec pretty hard and it will one day be done, but I don't know about a 1 sec BD...Assuming .5 for the draw, that leaves 6 shots in .08+/_ ea....not sure about that

Actually, if you do a .5 draw then the splits can be .10 with one at .9 to get you .99. ;) I can do the splits... what I can't do yet, or even close is a .5 draw. I can do .74, but that is one nasty feeling draw.

Edited by JThompson

50 yards.... Pull a tooth for each hit out of the A zone.

The Thrill Drill. :ph34r:

<grin> Don't miss! The Dentist's Drill!

This thread has been bugging me. Today I had to run an errand out of town, so I took a detour and stopped at the range I sometimes practice at (it's 'bout an hour away). Brought my production rig with a fairly stock G17.

Set up the target, measured 7 yards back, set the timer, and....First run was an abortion. 1 A, 3 C's, and 2 D's on the left of the target. Won't even mention the time since they're scored pass/fail.

OK. 2nd run, got my head in the game, and 2.10 -- 1.14 draw and .19ish splits. That's about the best I can do, and it's not cold, either.

I tried to kick it up a little and ended up slower (2.33) or with a hit wandering out of the A box. I will try this with my Limited gear in the next week or so. I captured a few runs on tape, and see that my surrender draw has some problems: my head and upper body is hunching down into the draw, instead of remaining motionless.

Man everyone here knows I'm a big proponent of pushing the limitations....but a 1 second bill drill is pushing it. I think that will be much more difficult than a sub 3 el prez.

I shot that 1.22 and I honestly don't know if I'll ever be able to go much faster.

Man everyone here knows I'm a big proponent of pushing the limitations....but a 1 second bill drill is pushing it. I think that will be much more difficult than a sub 3 el prez.

I shot that 1.22 and I honestly don't know if I'll ever be able to go much faster.

I dunno Jake... we aren't talking As here just hit the paper. I think you could do it. If I got my draw to .60 I could do it, but that's a long way from my current fastest at .74 (I think)

Jim,

Right now you can shoot 5 consecutive splits at .08 or below?

.08 has been my fastest split ever and I've only done that once. I'm definitely not the best but I can get on the trigger pretty good when I need to and even then I've never had a string of shots under .10 per split. When I shot the 1.22, my draw was in the low .6's and my splits were in the .09 - .13 range.

I personally couldn't do it shooting at the ground right in front of me much less getting hits on paper at 10 (or 7) yards.

If you wanna go for it though, more power to you. I'll be the first one cheering you on.

I just did the math. If I were to take the fastest legitimate draw (random delay, no creeping) that I have ever personally witnessed (I was on the timer) and Sam did the draw (.55 I think), then add to that the fastest series of five splits I have personally pulled off (I actually wrote it down, .10, .09, .09, .11, .09 for a .48 total) we collectively would have a 1.03 Bill Drill. Darn it, still not a one second Bill Drill. And I thought those times were scary fast. Sam, can you get that draw down another .03 seconds? We are almost there. :cheers: