Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2010 Area 1 Championship

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished the course of fire. It is quite excellent. Good, challenging stages, mixture of pure skills and strategy stages. All very well designed and very well run.

I took the USSA/Seeklander course, and it was definitely a plus. Learned a lot, and applied some during the competition.

All great fun, and kudos to the whole staff for a fine production.

Just got home from the match. Had a great time. The stages were fun and challenging. The staff was tremendous. Tim Egan, Carrie Homburg, Craig Outzen and all the other helpers did a great job getting the match put together.

Thanks for all your work guys.

Randy Stemple

I finished up the match today. It was very smoothy and professionally run and the staff was great to work with. The stages were fun and challenging, except one I had an issue with how it was ran inconsistently, but this isn't the place...

Vendors area was sparse and I don't think I ever saw more than one booth manned, but that's not a reason I go to these matches.

The banquet Friday night was great. Good food, good service, and great company.

... and wonder of wonders I'm winning Lim C so far. That will probably change tomorrow when another guy who's pulling down A level scores so far finishes.

Oh, and I appreciated the efforts at dust control! They had a dedicated water truck doing it's job all day both days, and I believe it was even a real dust control liquid (Potassium Chloride I think?) and not just plain water.

Edited by DarthMuffin

I was able to shoot the whole match on Friday. The weather was great and the match staff was awesome as well. All of the stages tested your skills and everyone on my squad was all smiles after shooting. Thank you for a great match and I hope that it finishes up well today.

Tim and his crew work their tail off to make this match happen and it shows. Job well done!!! :cheers:

Thanks to Tim and everyone involved for a great match.

+1 !! :cheers:

This was a really well thought out and well ran match. The stages were awsome, challenged to do all, nothing crazy, never waited to shoot. Thanks for putting on such a smooth match and a big "Thank You" to all the sponsors that make these things happen in the first place...

It looks like stage 9 giant shaddow is no longer listed in the scores does anybody know what got it pulled ?

I think it was my best stage:-(

mike

Inconsistent ROing and application of the rules. When I shot on Friday the ROs specifically said you were prohibited from supporting your shooting hand on the barricade (which is part of the shooting box). The rules specifically say otherwise but I really didn't make a point of it since I didn't plan to support myself. The next day I saw people shooting while supporting their non-shooting hand on the barricade (which is against the rules) and not getting procedurals. I don't feel it was an advantage to let them do so in this case, but someone must have complained.

I was also a little upset that in stage 7 either a target or steel hard cover was moved between Friday and Saturday. When my squad shot there was no lower A zone visible on a particular target from the start position, taking a big step to the right exposed an inch or two. On Saturday there was about half the A zone visible from the start position. I don't even know how you go about disputing that or proving it without pictures.

I was also a little upset that in stage 7 either a target or steel hard cover was moved between Friday and Saturday. When my squad shot there was no lower A zone visible on a particular target from the start position, taking a big step to the right exposed an inch or two. On Saturday there was about half the A zone visible from the start position. I don't even know how you go about disputing that or proving it without pictures.

There was almost no A zone visible from the start position on Friday on that target on the right. Even moving all the way over to the right by the wall only exposed half of it. I have video from that stage but I don't know if pulling a picture from that video would be sufficient in proving that something was moved. Had there been more exposed on that target, I would have changed the order in which I shot the stage.

*This is EmanP, didn't realize the computer was logged in under Kahrnage.

Edited by Kahrnage

That would seem to be a huge change, tactically.

When I seen Stage 7 on Thursday the center paper targets were both drop out/return targets. The left one didn't fully return and left a head shot and the right target fully returned being a disappearing target. To activate the middle drop out targets you had to shoot either extreme left/right side popper than haul ass to the middle to engage the DT and other middle target. When I showed up on Friday morning the drop out targets were swapped for static targets. To be totally honest, I was glad to see that these two drop out targets were swapped for static targets. I really didn't think that it would have been a very fair stage to have the DT in the middle like that. VERY few shooters would have been able to hit the popper then run full out to the middle in time to engage the DT. This becomes more of a foot race challenge verses a shooting challenge.

I am not sure why they swapped out the drop out targets but I can see how there could have been an inconsistent scoring situation for that stage becasue you could see some of the B and D zone of the DT target when it was suppose to be "Hidden". The way the activating cables were laid out in the bay I can see them getting shot up as well causing more problems. I am sure the Match Staff made the right decision for swapping out the targets and dealing with who had already shot the stage with the movers.

Congrats to Cha-lee (Big Panda) for 1st M in Limited and 4th overall behind Todd Jarrett, Ron Avery, and Blake Miguez. That's some serious company at an Area match for a guy shooting for two years. :bow:

Was there an arbitration filed and acted on to get the Giant Shadow stage tossed?

Did everyone from Thursday re-shoot stage 7 after the targets were switched to static targets?

I am not sure why they swapped out the drop out targets but I can see how there could have been an inconsistent scoring situation for that stage becasue you could see some of the B and D zone of the DT target when it was suppose to be "Hidden". The way the activating cables were laid out in the bay I can see them getting shot up as well causing more problems. I am sure the Match Staff made the right decision for swapping out the targets and dealing with who had already shot the stage with the movers.

The story I heard was that one of the ROs shot and broke one of the props during the RO match. It was early on so they changed to the hard cover and reshot those who needed. I have no problem with the change itself, sh*t happens and they dealt with it. I think the problem was the hard cover wasn't staked down.

I don't want to rag on them too much, this match was an immense amount of work and I've got nothing but admiration for those who put it on. They were good and fun stages.

Congrats on the 4th place Limited finish!

The story I heard was that one of the ROs shot and broke one of the props during the RO match. It was early on so they changed to the hard cover and reshot those who needed. I have no problem with the change itself, sh*t happens and they dealt with it. I think the problem was the hard cover wasn't staked down.

I don't want to rag on them too much, this match was an immense amount of work and I've got nothing but admiration for those who put it on. They were good and fun stages.

Congrats on the 4th place Limited finish!

Stage 7

The original design had one Metric steel hard cover target to conceal the disappearing target, just like the picture in the match booklet on page 27.

A tube that held a sliding weight was shot and prevented the weight from being put back on the tube. Farley had a spare prop, so the spare was installed. AND, two rectangular steel hard covers were added to protect the mechanism.

During the reshoot a competitor observed that the disappearing target was partially visible at rest. Tim Egan decided to replace the swinging targets with two stationary targets, leaving all the steel hard cover in place.