Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Tactical 1911

wolfie

Okay this may be personal preference but what's the thought on single vs double stack 1911s - e.g. STI Lawman vs STI Edge??

For those set on single stack, what would you choose, Lawman, Baer Thunder Ranch Special or other similar priced Baer, or TRP Pro. The last of which may be a bit over my budget.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Okay this may be personal preference but what's the thought on single vs double stack 1911s - e.g. STI Lawman vs STI Edge??

For those set on single stack, what would you choose, Lawman, Baer Thunder Ranch Special or other similar priced Baer, or TRP Pro. The last of which may be a bit over my budget.

I've never owned a Baer gun but all I've heard is they are VERY GOOD. I've owned STIs and Springers and have been very happy with them. Regarding your question on skinny gun vs. hicap 1911, it is all subject on what YOU want to do with it. As well as many others forum members I have both, and they fill two different niches.

- A universal rule: Any shooter that's a shooter should own at east one 1911, preferably in 45 acp. Should you be able to own just ONE pistol, the JMB creation would serve you well in any and all aspects of handgun onwership and use; for social purposes (carry -a little heavy but not impossible- and home/car gun) and competition (USPSA [all divsions except production and revo], IDPA, bullseye, PPC, pins, etc).

- A hicap (double stack) S_I would also fit most all those roles perfectly. However, I wouldn't choose the EDGE for social purposes, it is on the heavy side, maybe a Tactical 5.0 but with a bushing barrel and I'd also prefer it in 40S&W.

They are much the same but also very different. So, what do YOU want to do? If you are looking for high magazine capacity then the hicap gun would be the choice. If you're just looking to buy a 1911 to comply with the universal rule and MAYBE take it out to play every once in a while, get yourself a nice skinny gun.

My $0.02, just food for thought my friend...

Edited by Nemo

You have to decide what division you'd use it in for competition before anybody can answer that. If you want to shoot single stack it's got to be a 1911. If you want to shoot Limited you're going to want/need a double stack .40. You could shoot both SS and Limited-10 with a 1911 and not be at a disadvantage, so that's an option.

Reliability is going to come down to the gunsmith/gun, mags and ammo so that's not much of a factor. Off the shelf a 1911 in .45 is going to be the most reliable save for probably a .38 Super (frame was a modification of a .38acp frame). The double stack 2011s tend to be more reliable (or easier to get reliable) in .40 than .45...again, just on average.

You won't see many Nighthawks (they've lost a lot of what they used to offer in quality), or specialty guns like the Thunder Ranch or TRP Pro in matches because they really don't offer anything extra and most of us tend to change half of the "special" stuff they do to guns like that. From personal experience, forget the TRP Professional. They are NOT worth the money and you can't find them anywhere. I looked, out of curiosity, and there wasn't a single one on Gun Broker or any of the other more common sites. If I were to call them up and order one tomorrow my wait is 6mo.

If you have the time, just pick a good smith and have them build you what you want and be done with it....you'll be happier in the end.

If not, I'd either buy a Baer Premier II and then have it tweaked the way I want it, or go with an STI Trojan/Sentinel/Lawman and have it tweaked the same way. I need a Single Stack in a bit of a hurry two years ago, bought a Trojan and sent it and all new fire control parts to Matt Mclearn for his reliability package and trigger job, then later had a Schuemann Classic AET put in it, and I added a set of SV ambis (I like to fit/shape my own) and a Techwell magwell. It fits my hand perfectly, runs like a top and is everything I need in a 1911....swap out the magwell for a slightly smaller one and I'd carry it tomorrow if I could....but I've got enough into it that I could have had a full custom gun built for just a bit more if I wasn't in a bit of a rush for it. R,

Any thoughts on Nighthawks or Heinie guns by Nighthawk??

What about the GRP Nighthawk?

Indeed a very nice pistol. And Nighthawk builds a quality pistol that is everything any of the others are. None are better than the other, you can spend money for a name or bells and whistles. It is just a matter of what you want or how much you intend to spend.

At one time I had 16 1911 pistols and some were full blown customs and some were semi-customs, and there were a few factory guns (Colt, Springfields, Kimbers, and Paras) The Semi-customs did everything that the expensive customs did.

If I were to buy another single stack tomorrow...STI Lawman would get the nod. Best bang for the buck.

Buddy

Wilson CQB is an exceptional gun in the price range you defined Wolfie. Smooth as glass!

In general people don't think about the S&W Performance Center 1911, but it is an incredible gun from an accurancy and bells and whistles standpoint also in your price range.

Good luck on your search.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update, I decided to buy an Ed Brown Executive Elite SS. I have about 500 rounds through it so far and have been very impressed. No malfunctions of any kind, relating to the gun (more below). The fit and finish are excellent and accuracy is certainly beyond my capabilities but I have managed some free-standing 5 shot groups of under 1.5" at 15 yards. I am sure it can do better but given that I intend to use it as a carry and tactical gun this is really academic.

The one problem I have encountered relates to the extra 8 shot mags that I bought from Ed Brown. Turns out that the magazine well is cutting into the plastic mag bumper and causing these mags to seat too far so that they can (not always) jam against the ejector which in turn jams them and causes them to obstruct the slide. Obviously not good. The standard 7 round mag works perfectly since it has a metal base plate which prevents over-seating of the mag.

I have spoke to Ed Brown and am sending the 8 shot mags back for them to look at. I am not sure what they can do to avoid this but I would be surprised to hear that I am the first to have this problem. If necessary I will just get more of the standard 7 shot mags to replace the 8 shot ones.

Quick update, I decided to buy an Ed Brown Executive Elite SS. I have about 500 rounds through it so far and have been very impressed. No malfunctions of any kind, relating to the gun (more below). The fit and finish are excellent and accuracy is certainly beyond my capabilities but I have managed some free-standing 5 shot groups of under 1.5" at 15 yards. I am sure it can do better but given that I intend to use it as a carry and tactical gun this is really academic.

The one problem I have encountered relates to the extra 8 shot mags that I bought from Ed Brown. Turns out that the magazine well is cutting into the plastic mag bumper and causing these mags to seat too far so that they can (not always) jam against the ejector which in turn jams them and causes them to obstruct the slide. Obviously not good. The standard 7 round mag works perfectly since it has a metal base plate which prevents over-seating of the mag.

I have spoke to Ed Brown and am sending the 8 shot mags back for them to look at. I am not sure what they can do to avoid this but I would be surprised to hear that I am the first to have this problem. If necessary I will just get more of the standard 7 shot mags to replace the 8 shot ones.

Very nice choice!

Wilson mags may not be THE answer but they are the best...imho...you can always use the factory mags for the range.

Congrats on a great blaster! We must have pics!

for $2500 you could buy a plain jane g.i. (SA, RIA, etc....) and have something fit for your needs....if bare frames are legal in your area (they aren't in mine) just get a top notch frame and bare slide....then fit all the parts you like and have the slide cut to your specs....with $2500 I could build a hell of a gun....I have about $1500 into my 1911 and it is hands down the best gun I have ever fired....not because I think it's a "better" gun, but because it's built the way I want it...and fit to my hand and specific needs....the SA TRP is nice (especially with the full length dust cover).....but I think ANY gun from a factory would be "less" than something fit for your specific needs....the Dan Wesson 1911's are really nice (for the money)....every bit as tight as a Baer and pretty nice triggers (in general) and right about $1200

EDIT : or just buy a CZ75 tactical sport and call it a day :rolleyes:

Edited by AriM

• 2 weeks later...

Get a plain jane Springfield Milspec and put about 2000k rounds down it.. then decide what you want to upgrade.. can be had for $500 if you look. Great platform to build on. All I've done is add a magwell, did some trigger work and upgraded the thumb safety. Or go with a loaded version and probably won't need anything but maybe some trigger work. I don't think you get much more in $2500 gun than you will in a quality $700 gun. As long as you are confident it will go bang every time, that is all that matters. If for human size targets, you don't need 1" at 25yds... 2-3" will do just fine.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if you have made up your mind on what you wanted to get, but thought I would chime in just in case.

+1 Springfield TRP ~$1400 (got mine for $1070, that is it in the picture to the left) :)

While there are more accurate guns out there, this gun possesses more than enough accuracy for any situation you will find yourself in. This being said, other than bragging rights, I can't see any reason to spend any more $ on a top end custom gun.

I don't consider myself to be a great shot by any means, but I have been able to consistently hit 4" steel plates out to 50 yds, and human sized targets out to 100 yds. This was done slow-fire off-hand with 230 grain Blazer Aluminum, so you can't credit the ammo either.

Edited by TheDarkOne