Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bought a Saiga, now how many mags do I need?

Aircooled6racer

Hello: I just bought a Saiga to use for 3-gun open at some point. I was wondering what type and how many mags to get. The shotgun is stock for now but will be getting a pistol grip and trigger stuff soon. Let me know. Thanks, Eric

No less than 4. Not unusual to have 20 to 30 round stages. So you would have 3 to shoot and one backup. If you are going to buy a magwell, make sure that you buy mags that can be used with it. All my mags are Surefire. I have 6, one of which is a 20 rounder and the rest hold 12.

Doug

Also consider a shorter mag for slugs, when stage is mixed with shot in less than predictable sequence, or prone. I'm sure GentlemanJim can elaborate.

On the slug stage at nationals I went prone with a 12 round Surefire mag, no problem. If the port was much lower I would have had to turn the gun sideways.

Doug

Hello: Ok, I need 4 mags to start and a short one for slugs and a 20 round one for grins :cheers: Where do I get a 20 round one from? I think I will go the Surefire route. I do have a 5 round mag, make? I also have a 10 round mag, make? I appreciate all the info. Thanks, Eric

The top guys in Open at the recent IPSC ESC09 used these...

http://www.maxrounds.com/

N

The drums will not work with any magwell. Not really needed as fast as you can change the mags with a magwell.

Watch the second video.

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/se...-and-Links/Page

Edited by Greg Q

Hello: Ok, I need 4 mags to start and a short one for slugs and a 20 round one for grins :cheers: Where do I get a 20 round one from? I think I will go the Surefire route. I do have a 5 round mag, make? I also have a 10 round mag, make? I appreciate all the info. Thanks, Eric

Robert at R&R is making 20 round magazines, I have one of the first ones and it runs great! http://www.randrtargets.com They may not be up on his website, but give him a call and he can hook you up.

Doug

quote name='SinistralRifleman' date='Nov 11 2009, 08:44 AM' post='1093608']

When I can buy production mags that will work with a magwell, without having to fit, file, and grind on them (and at the same price as normal mags) I'll consider using a magwell. I'm sure someone will get on that sooner or later

The problem is that regular Saiga mags are made for a different type of latch from most of the magwells. The new R&R magwell is considerably longer than other magwells and has the mag catch on the side instead of the rear. The mag release is on the right side forward of the trigger like an AR. If you buy mags from R&R, Robert will set them up to work with any of his magwells, you won't have to fit them.

post-8887-1257987048_thumb.jpg

The problems with the long mags and drums is they still do not help those of us where the matches follow USPSA rules. Anything over 10rds does not matter. That is where the magwell I sell (the only magwell Jack Travers makes) makes things much easier. The mags only take a few minutes to modify and it is worth it.

Gentleman Jim (another forum vendor who helps support this forum) also sells his magwell for unmodified mags and also has 20rd mags.

The problems with the long mags and drums is they still do not help those of us where the matches follow USPSA rules. Anything over 10rds does not matter. That is where the magwell I sell (the only magwell Jack Travers makes) makes things much easier. The mags only take a few minutes to modify and it is worth it.

Gentleman Jim (another forum vendor who helps support this forum) also sells his magwell for unmodified mags and also has 20rd mags.

Thank goodness that there are many fine matches that do not follow USPSA Rules. Even if I only shot USPSA matches I would still recomend 12 round mags because they are a little easier to seat with only 10 rounds in them and I can put 11 rounds in my first mag and don't need to use a barney mag.

I have seen both Jim and Jack's Saiga parts and they are both first class and I would recomend them to anyone. The more vendors that we have promoting Saigas the better. :cheers:

Doug

Hello: I think I will get 4 of the clear ones offered from one of the venders. With the clear mags I can see what is what in them(shot or slugs). Not sure what magwell I will be getting yet. It is great that all you guys are so helpful. More questions to come sooooooooon :cheers: Thanks, Eric

Greg sells the clear mags here: http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/StoreFront

Good guy, fast shipping ;)

I'm not a big fan of any of the mag wells, and I have four different ones from three companies (plus two that we came up with in house). Save your money...undercut the bolt and practice :D

Alex

I second Alex's opinion, Greg at Carolina Shooters is a great source for Saiga parts. Good service and he knows his stuff.

• 3 months later...

Like Alex says, You can be almost as fast as a Magwell, with rock-n-lock and practice. Carolina Shooters does sell a rock-n-lock guide, which I've heard from multiple sources, is awesome at speeding up the rock'n'lock style.

I have a Gen1 AGP and Gen2 Surefire magwell from Jack, and while the surefire version is better, i prefer the AGP mags, so I switched back. I'm actually going to sell my Gen2 Surefire magwell and 3 moded and functional Clear Surefire 12rd mags. You can see it here in the white:

DSC08570Large.jpg

I couldn't wait for him to anodize them so I got one white :)

Anyway, I recommend a MINIMUM of 3 mags and something like 4-5 is optimal. I've yet to shoot a stage with more than 30rds.

And the drums, MDarms 20rd drum is the best out there AND they're running $100 now. You cannot use a magwell but you can use the mag-guide with the drums.

:cheers:

Edited by SN13