Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Some of my woodworking projects

ERIC

Since my shooting skills isn't all that great, I thought I show off my mad woodworking skills instead. You guys have already seen my homemade truck vault.

Truck Vault Link

Here's some of my other stuff.

post-2477-1257615129_thumb.jpg

post-2477-1257615139_thumb.jpg

post-2477-1257615208_thumb.jpg

post-2477-1257615228_thumb.jpg

post-2477-1257615247_thumb.jpg

post-2477-1257615256_thumb.jpg

post-2477-1257615268_thumb.jpg

post-2477-1257615278_thumb.jpg

post-2477-1257615284_thumb.jpg

Is the drawer table in the 5th picture wenge and curly maple? That is very nice. What sort of saw do you use? What do you do about dust collection? I'm always using a friends shop to do things, but would like to set up something here at home, just don't like the idea of the dust.

Is the drawer table in the 5th picture wenge and curly maple? That is very nice. What sort of saw do you use? What do you do about dust collection? I'm always using a friends shop to do things, but would like to set up something here at home, just don't like the idea of the dust.

It is made from Peruvian walnut and curly maple. I am finishing up a couple more, one made of wenge and birdseye maple and padauk and curly maple. It is a table center piece and is 18" x 18" x 12". I have a Jet cabinet saw and an Oneida cyclone central dust collection system.

post-2477-1257624334_thumb.jpg

It is made from Peruvian walnut and curly maple. I am finishing up a couple more, one made of wenge and birdseye maple and padauk and curly maple. It is a table center piece and is 18" x 18" x 12". I have a Jet cabinet saw and an Oneida cyclone central dust collection system.

post-2477-1257624334_thumb.jpg

Do you run the dust collector on a relay with your saw? What about jointer and thickness planing?

Each machine has a line running to it with a blast gate and I open and close the blast gates manually but the dust collector is on a remote control. Yes, I also have a jointer and planer along with a band saw, drill press, drum sander, router table, spindle sander and belt/disk combo sander. My garage no longer stores cars.

Nice work Eric :bow:

I really like this type of stuff too. I used to do this for a living, but now only on occasion. The guy I do stuff now has me doing mostly metalwork now. I was trained in woodworking by my grandfather. I was the only one of the grandkids he would let into his shop. That kept me out of trouble and working all through the early 90s.

What finishes are you using now that all the good stuff was outlawed? I was still spraying good stuff up until the end of this year, but now they've taken the catylized varnish I liked off the market. I bought about $500 worth, and the guys I got that from said it was the last that they would get.

Any luck spraying water based stuff? If so what system are you using to apply? Would really like some insights into new good finishes.

Thanks, JZ

Those boxes you made with the band saw, I used to make similar style (almost identical) a couple of years ago. I was lucky and found a small market for them in my area and helped fund a couple of toys. Some I had tried to make shallower drawers, and I found out the hard way that band saw blades don't like too sharp of corners. Anyways great work, I wish I had more time and money to put towards some more tools. School and my daughter eat up too much of daddy's time and money.

I could only take design credit for the crib and drawers under the stairs. The rest came from books or magazines. Those free form boxes (bandsaw boxes) always get people wondering how they were made. I've done around 20 of them over a 6 year period.

I like to use a wipe on finish that is a mix of tung oil and urethane to make the curls pop and give it a warm look and it's a strong finish. The crib has a water based finish and that's why the maple slats look so white. Another strong finish that has made it through bodily fluids from 3 kids. I have a nice Apollo sprayer that can do oil and water based finishes but I never got around to using it because I don't have a spray booth or the room for a booth. Most of my projects are pretty small and I like to take my time with the finish and apply it by hand. If I were to do kitchen cabinets, I'd find room for a spray booth.