Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bedel 9mm shorty bullets?

Aircooled6racer

Hello: It's time to buy some bullets to feed the new monster :roflol: The pistol is a open Bedell 9mm shorty. Powders will be HS-6 or Silhouette. I was going to either use the Montana Gold 121 IFP or the Montana Gold 124 CMJ. Do these sound like good choices or is there something better? I appreciate any info you guys can give. Yes I did a search :cheers: Thanks, Eric

Try a few Zero .356 125 JHP's. My guns shoot those better than the 124 MG's.

Eric,

If your Bedell has a Scheumann barrel use a little caution shooting bullets that measure .356. Most 9mm barrels will shoot them fine but I know of two Scheumann barrels that were tight enough that the .356 showed erratic pressure signs where .355 bullets were fine (mine is one of them). I found this out by accident when Zero sent me some .356 38 Super bullets instead of .355 9mm bullets. Just an FYI.

My Dawson shorty with a BarSto barrel and Dawson comp seems to do well with either Zero 125 grain JHP (.355) or the MG 121 IFP's and 3N37 or Silhouette. I prefer the recoil impulse I get with the 121 IFP's with either powder. Either work just fine, so it is likely shooter preference on the feel.

My son shoots a Bedell 9mm shorty. He has shot 1000's of Zero 125 jhp and MG 121 with out a problem. I don't think i have seen that gun hiccup once with either bullet that wasn't shooter error. HS6 behind them all except at Area 4 his load was with Silhouette. His gun shoots the 121s very accurate with the HS6.

Craig: The Bedell shorty 9mm I have has a KKM barrel and only about 5000 rounds through it. I do have some 125JHP Zero's I was using in my Mech Tech/Glock carbine. They work great in there. I will load some up with some HS-6 I have. I need to order some more powder soon and bullets :cheers: I also have some 115 JHP Montana Golds as well but think they may be a little light for me since I am new to Open. Thanks, Eric

Eric,

I started off liking the 124/125 JHP, then I liked the 121IFP the best, but now I seem to like the 115JHP with some HS-6 the best. It works the comp great and seems to shoot much flatter than my other loads. This is out of both of my 5 inch guns one with a KKM barrel and the other a storm lake.

Eric,

If your Bedell has a Scheumann barrel use a little caution shooting bullets that measure .356. Most 9mm barrels will shoot them fine but I know of two Scheumann barrels that were tight enough that the .356 showed erratic pressure signs where .355 bullets were fine (mine is one of them). I found this out by accident when Zero sent me some .356 38 Super bullets instead of .355 9mm bullets. Just an FYI.

Schuemann standard or AET? Mike has told me several times that they've gotten better accuracy with no pressure problems using .356" bullets in their barrels so this is a little suprising. R,

I have a Bedell shorty with KKM barrell and Dan's Titanium comp. I have about 25,000 rds through it. I started with Vit 3N37 7.8grains and 125 HP Zero bullets. OAL 1.165 and 168PF. All recommended by Dan and I have no problems.

I changed to Ramshot Sil and MTG CMJ 125 due to costs. I changed to 1.155 OAL to prevent feeding problems.

I have a Bedell shorty with KKM barrell and Dan's Titanium comp. I have about 25,000 rds through it. I started with Vit 3N37 7.8grains and 125 HP Zero bullets. OAL 1.165 and 168PF. All recommended by Dan and I have no problems.

I changed to Ramshot Sil and MTG CMJ 125 due to costs. I changed to 1.155 OAL to prevent feeding problems.

Did it suddenly start acting up or were you fixing something that hadn't broken?

Eric,

Schuemann standard or AET? Mike has told me several times that they've gotten better accuracy with no pressure problems using .356" bullets in their barrels so this is a little suprising. R,

It was an AET. I have no doubt that in most barrels .356 is a little more accurate (same theory that is driving "tight bore" barrels in precision rifles) but for whatever reason my barrel was shaving the .356 bullets and leaving a perfectly formed thin circle of jacket material at the end of the chamber. That was accompanied with wildly varying pressure and velocity reading when I was developing the load. Switched to .355 bullets and the issue disappeared.

I know there are many folks who run .356 bullets with no problems, I was just cautioning Eric that not every barrel is kosher with the idea and to proceed with the knowledge that an issue can occur.

It was an AET. I have no doubt that in most barrels .356 is a little more accurate (same theory that is driving "tight bore" barrels in precision rifles) but for whatever reason my barrel was shaving the .356 bullets and leaving a perfectly formed thin circle of jacket material at the end of the chamber. That was accompanied with wildly varying pressure and velocity reading when I was developing the load. Switched to .355 bullets and the issue disappeared.

I know there are many folks who run .356 bullets with no problems, I was just cautioning Eric that not every barrel is kosher with the idea and to proceed with the knowledge that an issue can occur.

Oh, I didn't think you were condemning .356" bullets or anything....and I agree, when we're loading Major 9 or Super/SC, it's good to be careful with any new combination.

I was just quite suprised that you ran into that problem. With the AET you've a different leade area and with the rifling staring out parallel (or nearly so) with the boreline you'd think it would actually be more forgiving of a slightly larger bullet. I haven't shot any .356" bullets in mine, but I'll get around to trying it someday. I'll have to ask Mike if he's heard of that happening with any other .355 AET barrels. I almost wonder if they would have replaced it since that doesn't sound quite right. Regardless, if it works fine with .355" bullets it doesn't really matter much either way. R,

Oh, I didn't think you were condemning .356" bullets or anything....and I agree, when we're loading Major 9 or Super/SC, it's good to be careful with any new combination.

I was just quite suprised that you ran into that problem. With the AET you've a different leade area and with the rifling staring out parallel (or nearly so) with the boreline you'd think it would actually be more forgiving of a slightly larger bullet. I haven't shot any .356" bullets in mine, but I'll get around to trying it someday. I'll have to ask Mike if he's heard of that happening with any other .355 AET barrels. I almost wonder if they would have replaced it since that doesn't sound quite right. Regardless, if it works fine with .355" bullets it doesn't really matter much either way. R,

Chris,

I am pushing 45,000 + rounds so I am pretty sure at this point it would not be an issue. :P

Gun has done nothing but make empty brass from a reliability standpoint. Dan definitely can make a 9mm sing.

I found the 121s to be accurate, but they drove me nuts... I had to settle for either knowing my OAL but having inconsistent interior case volume, or having consistent interior case volume but not be able to accurately determine OAL. They make those by filling in the nose of a 115gr JHP, and apparently it's not a super consistent process - I found the OAL of the bullets varied up to ten thousandths. If I seated via a flat nose bullet punch, it would seat based on the nose of the bullet - but the bullet could only be seated +/- 5 or so thousandths (plus it would mar the nose of the bullet). If I seated using a round nose punch, it would seat to a consistent internal volume, but because the noses varied, my OAL would wander by the same amount... :wacko: But, either way, they seemed to group fine and run fine... just irritated my OCD with regards to ammo... :lol:

I do tend to prefer the 121gr weight in my preferred Zero bullet, too, though....

• 2 weeks later...

Hello: Ok, I got some VV3N37 today from a great guy-thanks Mike :cheers: Now I need some load info for some MG 115JHP, 121 and some 125 JHP Zeros? I plan on loading to 1.170" OAL. Can anyone help a Newbie Open shooter out :rolleyes: Yes, I did search but could not find much on the Bedell shorty and this powder. Thanks, Eric

Chris: I appreciate the info but most of that info is over 2 years old and I thought some things may have changed since then? Thanks, Eric

Not much really. A Bedell shorty (or other similar setup shorty) a couple of years old is going to run about the same, load wise, as one that's brand new. Still, no matter how much data people throw at you, it's really only going to get you in the ballpark and you'll just have to see what your gun does. I've seen some that were otherwise identical, but 50fps faster or slower.

I only looked through the first four or five pages of that thread and all the folks using 3N37 were pretty close to one another, so that's a good sign. It looks like most folks are in the ballpark of 8gr. VV's published data for a 115gr XTP shows 6.9gr getting 1328fps out of a 4" barrel, so that all sort of makes sense...slightly longer barrel, add a grain and it could bump you up 100fps pretty easily. It's a great powder for 9mm Major, but it will put a lot of heat in the gun quickly, so you have to keep that in mind when you practice....don't run off a couple of mags in a row without letting the gun cool a bit.