Depriming Pins 10-Pack: Dillon Pistol Dies Only $ 4.95

Dillon 40 S&W/10mm Carbide 3-Die Set $ 60.95

Locator Button 2 - 40/38Spec/357Mag/Sig/7.62x39 $ 1.10

Powder Funnel W - 40 S&W/10mm $ 11.95

Frankford Arsenal Impact Bullet Puller

Frankford Arsenal Electronic Caliper 6" Stainless Steel

Lee Deluxe Carbide 4-Die Set 40 S&W, 10mm Auto

Lee Deluxe Carbide 4-Die Set 9mm Luger

I already have tumbler, flip tray, brass, primers, titegroup powder, still researching bullets.

I plan on reloading 9mm and .40, is this a complete list of items i need to start reloading? i am half way through abc's of reloading, wanted to get the ball rolling on the equipment.

Edited by gchang817

Welcome to the forum!

Don't forget to get a spare parts kit.

I'm not sure what an RCBS powder pan is.

I really like my strong mount, roller handle, low powder sensor and bulletet tray.

Buy from Brian and good luck!

its the pan that comes with the scale, just makes it easier to pour as far as i can tell.

Looks like you're ordering 2 sets of 40/10mm dies? I would recommend the Dillon die sets over the Lee.

Looks like you're spending $610 (If my math is correct) for the 550,

and then you're going to have to index the machine and switch back

and forth from 9mm to .40 over and over again.

For $90 more (if my math is correct) you can buy two Square Deals,

set up in each caliber, and not index and not switch calibers???

You might want to throw in a chronograph so you know how fast

your reloads are going - unless you have access to one at your club.

Lee Deluxe Carbide 4-Die Set 40 S&W, 10mm Auto

Lee Deluxe Carbide 4-Die Set 9mm Luger

still researching bullets.

I wouldn't bother getting two complete sets of dies, one Dillon and one Lee, but I would recommend getting a Lee resizing die for both .40 and 9. I prefer the Lee U-die (undersized reloading die that is .001" tighter), but either does a better job than the Dillon die. The Dillon die has a larger mouth diameter so the case will center in it easier, and that makes the press run smoother, but because of that it can't resize as much of the case.

Unless you're looking at lead or moly bullets, don't bother doing much research. Montana Gold or Zero (when you can get them) are the overwhelming favorite for USPSA/IDPA with good reason...they're high quality, reasonably priced and available in bulk. R,

It looks like, at a bare minimum, you're going to need a toolhead in which to mount those .40/10mm dies:

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p...RL_550_Toolhead

Probably going to want a powder die to go with it:

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p...llon_Powder_Die

I would suggest the quick change assembly, though:

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillon/pics...conv.html#650qc

(I couldn't easily find some of those parts on Brian's site, so I linked to Dillon instead, but if you call, Brian can get whatever you need)

Editted: You already had the powder funnel, I missed it.

Edited by High Lord Gomer

It looks like, at a bare minimum, you're going to need a toolhead in which to mount those .40/10mm dies:

+1 on the tool head. The square deals may be cheaper (for two versus one with the 550), but it only takes about 5 minutes to switch between calibers (if both are using small primer or large primer) with the extra tool heads (once they are set up), plus, you can load rifle on the 550 (if you ever go in that direction).

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p...RL_550_Toolhead

Probably going to want a powder die to go with it:

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p...llon_Powder_Die

I would suggest the quick change assembly, though:

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillon/pics...conv.html#650qc

(I couldn't easily find some of those parts on Brian's site, so I linked to Dillon instead, but if you call, Brian can get whatever you need)

Editted: You already had the powder funnel, I missed it.

so all i would need, in my setup, is a toolhead? i am starting with 9mm and .40 down the road, not to enthusiastic about purchasing the quick change kit just yet. im confused with the toolheads that i need, and what is actually included in the original purchase of the 550b. so if i purchase in 9mm it will come with powder funnel, locator pins and shell plate. the shell plate is interchangable between both calibers. i would need a powder funnel and toolhead to switch between calibers?

Technically, you could get by with the one toolhead that it comes with, but you don't want to have to remove all of the 9mm dies and replace them with .40 dies when you switch calibers. It is much easier to just swap toolheads.

You can get by without the quick change kit, but then you'll have to remove the pwder die and re-calibrate it each time you change from 9 to 40 or back. It is well worth it to get the toolhead and powder die. Then you'll just have to swap locator pins, swap toolheads, and move the powder measurey from one toolhead to another.

To make it just a 2 minute swap from 9 to 40 and back, you can get an extra powder measure so you don't have to change any settings when you swap, but to do that makes it worthwhile to get the Quick Change assembly, which will come with the powder measure, the toolhead, the powder die, and a toolhead stand (I have bought several).

Other than what has already been said. Make sure you have a good place to mount it that is high enough.

Also, I can not say enough good things about the aluminum roller handle when loading a lot of rounds in one sitting!

Take your time, pay attention to your charges, and Good luck!

I have been reloading for two years about 35,000 rounds, I have both a Hornady LNL & Dillon 650 both with case feeders. 9, 38 SC, 40, 45, 38 SPL, 30 Carbine, and .223 Rem.

I highly recommend a fully progressive press it is cheaper than blowing up your gun. Lots of folks use the 550, it has a lot more exposure for human error, and I have seen a few of those.

My friend has the as it should be and I have the the ball and bolted the 650 directly to the bench. I like my set up better so save the $141.

Everyone I know that reloads has tried electronic scales and they also have a beam scale. I use the Frankford Aresnal $29.00 and their Dial Caliper. In the winter when it is cold I use a Lee Safety Scale as the Electronic gets squirrely. So just the Lee Safety Scale ($21.00).

If you are not going to load Rifle get the SDB it is a little jewel. If you are not going to get the case feeder don't get the 650 get the SDB. With the 650 and Case Feeder and one primer tube it takes me about 3 hours to load 1,000 rounds of 40. Only because I take my time.

The Dillon is a little harder to get right but when it is right it is awesome. Get a tool head for each caliber and a powder measure it makes it so much faster and easier.

The Hornady LNL is a very good loader and it only needs a $27.00 shell plate and no conversion kit. So if you plan lots of calibers put it on your list. Buy a $10 powder insert for each caliber and use the same powder measure adjust it once. It works great with or without the case feeder. With case feeder costs same as a 650, the 650 with case feeder will out perform the Hornady.

If you get the Dillon get the spare parts kit, it keeps your loader up and running till replacement parts arrive. I spent 3 hours crawling around my shop floor looking for the detent ball.

This stuff can be her confusing to wade through, and Brian is like your personal consultant. You'll be amazed at how easy it is when you just call him and tell him what you want to accomplish.

This stuff can be her confusing to wade through, and Brian is like your personal consultant. You'll be amazed at how easy it is when you just call him and tell him what you want to accomplish.

+1

I looked to setup a "kit" myself and put all the necessaries together about 8-9 months ago. It got confusing and frustrating, mostly because I was a first timer. Called Brian and spoke to him all of 10 minutes, and he set me up for an order to reload .38 SC. He is very knowledgeable and can give you a few pointers that may influence you to buy a different press. He saved me lots of money with just one phone call. If you are sure you want that press, go ahead and call him anyways. Shipping was amazingly fast. Good luck with your decision.

Preston